• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Oakland Doubles Down On Dumb: New Police Commission To Be Ex-Convicts, Cops Not Allowed

Eugene Baker III

"Oh a stitch in time, just about saved me..."
Hoopla Cash
$ 946.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:lol:

Blog: New Oakland Police Commission being created: 'Formerly incarcerated individuals encouraged to apply'

Here is another great idea from the Golden State. The City of Oakland created a new civilian Police Commission to second-guess cops, and it excludes cops and former cops but solicits ex-cons to serve on the board, which has the power to enforce its decisions, up to and including terminating the chief of police. What could possibly go wrong? Matier and Ross, the San Francisco Chronicle investigative reporting team, report:

Barry Donelan, head of the Oakland Police Officers Association, said recruiting ex-cons to help select the chief and discipline officers for misconduct was "extremely distasteful."

The Police Commission was created via a voter initiative, Measure LL. The question that appeared on the ballot made no mention of ex-offenders or excluding ex-cops (citation omitted):

Shall Oakland's City Charter be amended to establish: (1) a Police Commission of civilian commissioners to oversee the Police Department by reviewing and proposing changes to Department policies and procedures, requiring the Mayor to appoint any new Chief of Police from a list of candidates provided by the Commission, and having the authority to terminate the Chief of Police for cause; and (2) a Community Police Review Agency to investigate complaints of police misconduct and recommend discipline?

Oakland recruiting ex-cons to oversee cops

Eugene Baker III

"Oh a stitch in time, just about saved me..."
Hoopla Cash
$ 946.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do you spell "Public Employee Union Busting"?

I agree with the Union busting of Public employee unions, but this is not what I had in mind.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Raiders fans??

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a meth addict helping me overcome alcoholism... it works somewhat, I'm down to ONE type of alcoholic beverage a day. I used to drink wine, whiskey, and beer, but now I just pick one. Sure the volume doesn't go down, but I feel it's progress.

Regardless, I don't see the problem here.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a meth addict helping me overcome alcoholism... it works somewhat, I'm down to ONE type of alcoholic beverage a day. I used to drink wine, whiskey, and beer, but now I just pick one. Sure the volume doesn't go down, but I feel it's progress.

Regardless, I don't see the problem here.

Typical Seattle liberal.

Obviously a horrid analogy, as these ex-convicts wouldn't be helping those arrested rehabilitate. They're going to be second guessing those who are enforcing the law.

Oh, and this thread should be moved to the political board. Pretty obviously. lol

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kill the union.

We'll worry about the other shit later.

This should be Americas rallying cry. Cuz, well, fuck unions. And fuck you if you're in one. You fuckin ****.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't say ****?

Fuck you too google. You fuckin search engine ****.

mannyz

The Real Batman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Blog: New Oakland Police Commission being created: 'Formerly incarcerated individuals encouraged to apply'

Here is another great idea from the Golden State. The City of Oakland created a new civilian Police Commission to second-guess cops, and it excludes cops and former cops but solicits ex-cons to serve on the board, which has the power to enforce its decisions, up to and including terminating the chief of police. What could possibly go wrong? Matier and Ross, the San Francisco Chronicle investigative reporting team, report:

Barry Donelan, head of the Oakland Police Officers Association, said recruiting ex-cons to help select the chief and discipline officers for misconduct was "extremely distasteful."

The Police Commission was created via a voter initiative, Measure LL. The question that appeared on the ballot made no mention of ex-offenders or excluding ex-cops (citation omitted):

Shall Oakland's City Charter be amended to establish: (1) a Police Commission of civilian commissioners to oversee the Police Department by reviewing and proposing changes to Department policies and procedures, requiring the Mayor to appoint any new Chief of Police from a list of candidates provided by the Commission, and having the authority to terminate the Chief of Police for cause; and (2) a Community Police Review Agency to investigate complaints of police misconduct and recommend discipline?

It must be April 1st. Great April Fools prank.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Typical Seattle liberal.

Obviously a horrid analogy, as these ex-convicts wouldn't be helping those arrested rehabilitate. They're going to be second guessing those who are enforcing the law.

Oh, and this thread should be moved to the political board. Pretty obviously. lol

I live in Chicago now... and it was obviously a joke. Typical Chicago idiot? If the glove fits....

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

" Ohh gee I posted this in the wrong forum silly me" Teee Hee

I am guessing ex-wives only to be judges in Family Court is next?
" My bad I bumped this by mistake "

How do you spell "Public Employee Union Busting"?

I agree with the Union busting of Public employee unions, but this is not what I had in mind.

"Somebody please pay me some attention I'm so lonely "

Oops...I did it again.

" Cmon please, I am lonely in this basement by myself "

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is going to hurt home prices.