• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Niners trade for RB Christian McCaffrey

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So we give up a 2, 3, 4, and a 2024 5 for RB C.McCaffrey.

On one hand, I get it—our running game has been lackluster and we’re a running team and CMC is a very good RB that fits perfectly in the SF offense. It's a big swing that automatically makes the offense better.

OTOH, this looks like a massive mistake. Not only is McCaffrey injury prone (he’ll fit right in in SF), but his salaries in future years are exorbitant AND the trade effectively guts the 2023 draft (comp picks not withstanding).

I have to wonder if there is anyone in the SF FO that can tell Kyle "no."

HawkFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

On one hand, I get it—our running game has been lackluster and we’re a running team and CMC is a very good RB that fits perfectly in the SF offense. It's a big swing that automatically makes the offense better.

OTOH, this looks like a massive mistake. Not only is McCaffrey injury prone (he’ll fit right in in SF), but his salaries in future years are exorbitant AND the trade effectively guts the 2023 draft (comp picks not withstanding).

Isn't Mitchell back in a week or two? I get McCaffrey is an upgrade but is it worth the picks and future salary?

Any word if he'll play this week? I have Wilson in a league...

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't Mitchell back in a week or two? I get McCaffrey is an upgrade but is it worth the picks and future salary?

Any word if he'll play this week? I have Wilson in a league...
Personally, I don't think he's worth what we're paying to get him, and what we'll have to pay him in future years.

There is talk that CMC might get a few plays this week in the RZ packages, but that's it.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

I don't like this trade either because first this is the kind of trade you make for a QB, pass rusher, LT, or CB. If this was for a young Derrick Henry or Jonathan Taylor, then i might buy it, however CMC isn't really a bell cow RB. Will you run CMC 18-20 times a game every game, including between the tackles?

Secondly, CMC will help this team but not to the extent that justifies this trade and cap hit. He would've been maximized if we didn't already have Deebo Samuel, but now you under utilize both CMC and Deebo. You don't pay two guys these kinds of cap hits so they get 'half' the reps. That cap hit could've gone to other spots that need it.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
So are the Panthers now officially tanking?
IMO yes. This is what you have to do when your team isn't good, bite the bullet and go draft.

No matter what you need good drafts to become a good team, or remain a good team. So if this GM doesn't do it, you get another GM.

Debbie Does

Question Authority
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO yes. This is what you have to do when your team isn't good, bite the bullet and go draft.

No matter what you need good drafts to become a good team, or remain a good team. So if this GM doesn't do it, you get another GM.
How long has it been since they released Cam Neutron? Have they really gone that long without a real quarterback?

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like it

Sandisfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't followed NFL players (league wide) as much lately. When was he drafted, how old, wondering as RBs have short careers and even if they fall off on performance those who have biggish contracts won't retire and lose Money.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
How long has it been since they released Cam Neutron? Have they really gone that long without a real quarterback?
Yep, "eons" ago.

As we 49er fans know all too well, it isn't easy to obtain an elite QB. Even if you have a HIGH 1st round pick, that pick might not work.

To trade or obtain an elite QB via free agency, takes a chit load of draft capital. Then his cap hit hinders the rest of the team build.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
https://www.************.com/articles/162505-why-christian-mccaffrey-missing-piece-49ers/

After reading this i've softed my dislike of the trade. Still don't like it overall but what he says makes sense, IF he can open up the outside runs? Ever since Mostert no one else has been able to go outside (out to the sideline), which IMO was a key aspect of the run game. These runs also maximized the blocking ability of Kittle and Juice.

Regarding his cap hit, feel a little better because his contract was just restructured last year (to 2025). While i still don't think we needed to spend that kind of cap, he's not a one year rental.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
CMC looked good considering he just joined the team. Understandable his plays were limited to basic runs against KC, but in the next game........

See if he can do the outside runs like Mostert, TRY it not force it. Then add a few passes out of the backfield.

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what are your thoughts on the trade today?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
So what are your thoughts on the trade today?
Today? For the moment everything is working and the easy reaction is yes, good trade. But what has REALLY elevated this offense since the trade.....CMC or Purdy? Is the difference in offense by CMC - exclude Purdy - worth what we gave up?

If Purdy came on the scene first, would we have made this trade for CMC? We still gave up a lot of draft capital and that won't change. His cap hit will be felt next season and beyond, that likely won't change either. His future cap hit affects some of our own FA's, who won't be re-signed. So the answer to this question includes future years too, not just at the moment, but you want a current answer and not a duck. :-)

TODAY, my answer is this trade is looking better because of his contribution to the passing game. But not changing my opinion entirely to "solid trade". What we gave up WILL affect us just not this year. We fans are extra hyped today because Purdy has energized the offense, and unlocked CMC's pass catching ability downfield.

There IS still a little overlap with Deebo.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the way Purdy has played theoretically you will have a qb to trade to recoup some draft capital

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the way Purdy has played theoretically you will have a qb to trade to recoup some draft capital
I joked last night with my brother watching the game to trade Lance

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Today? For the moment everything is working and the easy reaction is yes, good trade. But what has REALLY elevated this offense since the trade.....CMC or Purdy? Is the difference in offense by CMC - exclude Purdy - worth what we gave up?

If Purdy came on the scene first, would we have made this trade for CMC? We still gave up a lot of draft capital and that won't change. His cap hit will be felt next season and beyond, that likely won't change either. His future cap hit affects some of our own FA's, who won't be re-signed. So the answer to this question includes future years too, not just at the moment, but you want a current answer and not a duck. :-)

TODAY, my answer is this trade is looking better because of his contribution to the passing game. But not changing my opinion entirely to "solid trade". What we gave up WILL affect us just not this year. We fans are extra hyped today because Purdy has energized the offense, and unlocked CMC's pass catching ability downfield.

There IS still a little overlap with Deebo.
I thought he showed his worth prior to Jimmy G going down

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I joked last night with my brother watching the game to trade Lance

I’m not even saying it to start the argument

Just that you have the opportunity to recoup some of those picks by just picking a lane at qb

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m not even saying it to start the argument

Just that you have the opportunity to recoup some of those picks by just picking a lane at qb
I referred to Purdy as Joe Purdy. Once again as a joke

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The trade IS looking better. He's been the best player we have on offense. Since the trade, we've been scoring a full TD more per game than prior to his arrival. As long as he stays healthy, the offense will continue to be dangerous.

Gonna be interesting to see how we handle his contract situation next year, particularly with so many upcoming FAs.