• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: NHL GDT - Sunday, Jan 31

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lotta hustle there, Jonesy. :L

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If my quick math is correct, McDavid and Draisaitl combined have more points on the season than the entire Ducks roster does. I hate Dave Tippet hockey.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goalies optional? Lol

13 goals

PointedJampackedCatfish-small.gif

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Stuart Skinner only 18 years old? Asking for a friend.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spector and Principe yukking it up following a 8-5 win over Ottawa. You realize the Oilers do nothing 5-on-5 right and rely on the PP to generate any type of offense. You'd think there would be some commitment to defense with a young inexperienced goalie between the pipes, but oh no let's let him face 38 shots.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spector and Principe yukking it up following a 8-5 win over Ottawa. You realize the Oilers do nothing 5-on-5 right and rely on the PP to generate any type of offense. You'd think there would be some commitment to defense with a young inexperienced goalie between the pipes, but oh no let's let him face 38 shots.
I feel like there's some inconsistency going on here when discussing Edmonton - people bitch when they play "Tippett Hockey" and people bitch when they throw caution to the wind.

I see last night as the latter - against such poor opposition why not try and see if you can figure things out offensively 5v5? It obviously didn't work and had to rely on the PP to score but at least they're trying. That team doesn't go anywhere unless they figure out different ways to win games.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like there's some inconsistency going on here when discussing Edmonton - people bitch when they play "Tippett Hockey" and people bitch when they throw caution to the wind.

I see last night as the latter - against such poor opposition why not try and see if you can figure things out offensively 5v5? It obviously didn't work and had to rely on the PP to score but at least they're trying. That team doesn't go anywhere unless they figure out different ways to win games.

That's the thing though, until the Oilers start playing better defensive hockey (especially the Wonder Twins), that team isn't going anywhere. McDavid had 5 points and was a -1. RNH has 3 points and was -2. I think Tippett is trying to improve their defensive game, but the players need to buy in.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the thing though, until the Oilers start playing better defensive hockey (especially the Wonder Twins), that team isn't going anywhere. McDavid had 5 points and was a -1. RNH has 3 points and was -2. I think Tippett is trying to improve their defensive game, but the players need to buy in.
I won't sit here and say McDavid and Drai are Selke candidates but McDavid's ice time 5v5 to date has been most consistently shared with the following: RNH, Kassian, Nurse, Bear. There's maybe 1.5 defensively responsible players in that group of 4 combined and Bear starting the season poorly doesn't help matters. Draisaitl is even worse - Yamamoto, Kahun, Barrie and Larsson.

To paraphrase Giselle Bundchen, McDavid and Draisaitl cannot both be the sole attacking and defensive options on the ice. That's far more a roster makeup problem that isn't going to be fixed anytime soon.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I won't sit here and say McDavid and Drai are Selke candidates but McDavid's ice time 5v5 to date has been most consistently shared with the following: RNH, Kassian, Nurse, Bear. There's maybe 1.5 defensively responsible players in that group of 4 combined and Bear starting the season poorly doesn't help matters. Draisaitl is even worse - Yamamoto, Kahun, Barrie and Larsson.

To paraphrase Giselle Bundchen, McDavid and Draisaitl cannot both be the sole attacking and defensive options on the ice. That's far more a roster makeup problem that isn't going to be fixed anytime soon.

Are you saying that Tippett is forced trying to make chicken salad out of chicken sh*t? No argument here lol