• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFC West

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here would be my issue with the Harvin deal --- yes, it's only for 2-3 years, but in those next 2-3 years he has a big salary and the Seahawks have other people (Tate, Rice, Wilson, Browner, Earl Thomas, Richard Sherman) all to sign. It's clear they are not going to be able to keep Golden Tate, Sydney Rice and Harvin at big salaries, it would eat up too much of their cap. Also by giving up a first and third rounder, they are passing up the opportunity to get young cheap talent through the draft. In the meantime the 49ers have stocked up on draft picks to the point where they can get some potentially great value replacements for Gore and Justin Smith and redshirt them for the year and they have a bevy of picks next year as well.

As for John Clayton -- I have ranted about him in the past and I will do so again. This weekend on his radio show here in Seattle he asked Mike Sando about the affect of trading for Eric Wright would have on Tarrell Brown. Sando rightly pointed out that in Seattle when Pete Carroll brings in multiple people to compete for a spot it's a good thing, and it was no different in this case, Clayton had no answer for that. He also tried to compare the Seahawks treatment of giving a raise to Brandon Browner with the 49ers not telling Brown about the contract requirements -- now that it has been pointed out that the 49ers didn't even really know about this requirement and will try to make it right and possibly it may help their ability to re sign the guy Clayton is silent. I think Clayton is really biased against San Francisco and a total Seahawk homer, or he is just pandering to the Seattle sports radio people.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Here would be my issue with the Harvin deal --- yes, it's only for 2-3 years, but in those next 2-3 years he has a big salary and the Seahawks have other people (Tate, Rice, Wilson, Browner, Earl Thomas, Richard Sherman) all to sign. It's clear they are not going to be able to keep Golden Tate, Sydney Rice and Harvin at big salaries, it would eat up too much of their cap. Also by giving up a first and third rounder, they are passing up the opportunity to get young cheap talent through the draft. In the meantime the 49ers have stocked up on draft picks to the point where they can get some potentially great value replacements for Gore and Justin Smith and redshirt them for the year and they have a bevy of picks next year as well.

As for John Clayton -- I have ranted about him in the past and I will do so again. This weekend on his radio show here in Seattle he asked Mike Sando about the affect of trading for Eric Wright would have on Tarrell Brown. Sando rightly pointed out that in Seattle when Pete Carroll brings in multiple people to compete for a spot it's a good thing, and it was no different in this case, Clayton had no answer for that. He also tried to compare the Seahawks treatment of giving a raise to Brandon Browner with the 49ers not telling Brown about the contract requirements -- now that it has been pointed out that the 49ers didn't even really know about this requirement and will try to make it right and possibly it may help their ability to re sign the guy Clayton is silent. I think Clayton is really biased against San Francisco and a total Seahawk homer, or he is just pandering to the Seattle sports radio people.

if a team feels they're a legit SB contender, then it is ok to get those last few pieces. Seattle obviously feels their 'window' is NOW. as you already noted, it is hard to maintain a quality team due to the cap, so if the window is there, go for it. they are helped a ton because RW's contract is cheap, similar to Kaep.

i'm ok if Clayton is a homer, cause what he says doesn't mean it'll come true. as a media guy, he has to ask questions that generate reaction. no 'goodie' topic will generate interest, only the controversial stuff.

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if a team feels they're a legit SB contender, then it is ok to get those last few pieces. Seattle obviously feels their 'window' is NOW. as you already noted, it is hard to maintain a quality team due to the cap, so if the window is there, go for it. they are helped a ton because RW's contract is cheap, similar to Kaep.

i'm ok if Clayton is a homer, cause what he says doesn't mean it'll come true. as a media guy, he has to ask questions that generate reaction. no 'goodie' topic will generate interest, only the controversial stuff.

I think it's risky. I'm not sure they absolutely needed Harvin to the extent he was worth the risk and the cap and draft hits. Over the last 4-5 games of the season they were averaging 40 points a game or something, they didn't need Harvin to score points and they gave up cap space and draft picks. See I think that's the problem with that line of thinking --- they were most likely a super bowl contender before the Harvin trade so he didn't add that much incrementally but they gave up the opportunity to re sign some of their own players and the ability to restock through the draft. As for Clayton - it's one thing to ask questions, but he also opines about what he thinks are risky/bad moves or problems -- he seems to find a lot of them where the 49ers are concerned and less where the Seahawks are concerned.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's risky. I'm not sure they absolutely needed Harvin to the extent he was worth the risk and the cap and draft hits. Over the last 4-5 games of the season they were averaging 40 points a game or something, they didn't need Harvin to score points and they gave up cap space and draft picks. See I think that's the problem with that line of thinking --- they were most likely a super bowl contender before the Harvin trade so he didn't add that much incrementally but they gave up the opportunity to re sign some of their own players and the ability to restock through the draft. As for Clayton - it's one thing to ask questions, but he also opines about what he thinks are risky/bad moves or problems -- he seems to find a lot of them where the 49ers are concerned and less where the Seahawks are concerned.

We just need someone like Vince Young (heck, maybe even VY) to call it the Dream Team and the collapse will ensue.

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We just need someone like Vince Young (heck, maybe even VY) to call it the Dream Team and the collapse will ensue.

People already are up here. If the sports gods are like the greek gods and punish hubris as severely the Seahawks fans are in for a rough ride this year.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

it is certainly risky, no doubt. in fact, the team is already accepting some 'overpaying' down the road. but again, when you're that close (or think you're close), you 'seize the moment'. you never know when you're window will close?

i'm not approving this specific (Harvin) move, but am okay with a team making this TYPE of move. maybe Seattle could score without a Harvin? maybe they could've added another position instead for this kind of money? but if you're that close, you can't assume things will go like last year? so why not strengthen your team even more?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it is certainly risky, no doubt. in fact, the team is already accepting some 'overpaying' down the road. but again, when you're that close (or think you're close), you 'seize the moment'. you never know when you're window will close?

i'm not approving this specific (Harvin) move, but am okay with a team making this TYPE of move. maybe Seattle could score without a Harvin? maybe they could've added another position instead for this kind of money? but if you're that close, you can't assume things will go like last year? so why not strengthen your team even more?

Or conversely, you CAN assume things will go the same way as last year, and last year they ended up short - so this is where they make those moves.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Or conversely, you CAN assume things will go the same way as last year, and last year they ended up short - so this is where they make those moves.

Yup, and furthermore, they had to assess where or potential causes to falling short stemmed from. Percy in the lineup with Russel is a match made in heaven for a back like Lynch. For instance there were reasons why our offense was somewhat limited prior to Kaep taking over. Coaches knew that they were somewhat limited to what we can do as an offense (inability to stretch the field) when Alex was at the helm. We are much better with Kaep. Perhaps, the Seahawks feel as if they are limited in what they want to do in the running game simply because they lack that dynamic WR to keep defenses honest.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Sidney Rice - WR - Seahawks

ESPN Seattle's Liz Mathews reports Sidney Rice is in Switzerland "getting some sort of knee treatment."

Oh. The word comes straight from coach Pete Carroll, who insists that Rice will not only be ready for Week 1, but the preseason. Although the news came completely out of nowhere — Rice's status was never updated after he was spotted in crutches following Seattle's Divisional Round loss — it's hardly a surprise considering his injury history. Despite Carroll's assurance, we'd consider Rice questionable for Week 1 at the moment. With the Seahawks also awaiting word on Percy Harvin's (hip) status, receiver is suddenly a question mark. Rice should still be considered a high-risk, high-reward WR3.
Source: Liz Mathews on Twitter

Jul 30 - 4:03 PM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Percy Harvin - WR - Seahawks

Percy Harvin tweeted Tuesday evening that his hip injury will require surgery.

He'll go under the knife Thursday. Harvin hinted the operation will be season-ending, but NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports he could return in 3-4 months. PFT reports he'll be back "late in the season." At the very least, Harvin is staring at a six-game stay on PUP. An official timeline should emerge in short order. It's obviously a devastating blow for the Seahawks, who were counting on Harvin to add a new dimension to their well-oiled read option attack. As it is, Golden Tate will revert to being Seattle's primary playmaker at receiver, while the onus will be on Sidney Rice (knee) to stay healthy. Between his signing bonus and salary, Harvin is bringing home $14.5 million this season after the Seahawks surrendered three draft picks — including their 2013 first-rounder — for his services. Where Harvin's "injury prone" label was once unwarranted, that is no longer the case.
Source: Percy Harvin on Twitter

Jul 30 - 7:59 PM

Last edited by a moderator:

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Percy Harvin - WR - Seahawks

NFL.com's Albert Breer reports the Seahawks' "preliminary plan" is to proceed with Percy Harvin (hip surgery) on the PUP list.

CBS' Jason La Canfora reports injured reserve/designated for return is the most likely possibility. Regardless, the consensus is that Harvin should return sometime in late November/early December. Like Michael Crabtree, Harvin isn't a compelling late-round flier with such a murky timeline.
Source: Albert Breer on Twitter

Jul 30 - 10:04 PM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Patrick Peterson - DB - Cardinals

Cardinals RCB Patrick Peterson ran routes as a receiver in Tuesday's training-camp session.

It's something Peterson occasionally did as a rookie. Although it's an interesting wrinkle for aggressive, vertically-minded coach Bruce Arians, we don't expect Peterson to see anything other than the isolated snap on offense this season.
Source: Mike Jurecki on Twitter

Jul 30 - 6:45 PM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Michael Brockers - DL - Rams

Rams DT Michael Brockers underwent "cleanup" surgery on his left ankle in February, but is 100 percent for camp.

It's not the same ankle that Brockers hurt last preseason, costing him the first three games of his NFL career. Coach Jeff Fisher has been impressed with Brockers' camp. "He’s worked very hard," Fisher said. "He’s changed his body, and we think he can be a dominating player inside." We agree with Fisher's assessment.
Source: St Louis Post-Dispatch

Jul 30 - 6:22 PM

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sidney Rice - WR - Seahawks

ESPN Seattle's Liz Mathews reports Sidney Rice is in Switzerland "getting some sort of knee treatment."

Oh. The word comes straight from coach Pete Carroll, who insists that Rice will not only be ready for Week 1, but the preseason. Although the news came completely out of nowhere — Rice's status was never updated after he was spotted in crutches following Seattle's Divisional Round loss — it's hardly a surprise considering his injury history. Despite Carroll's assurance, we'd consider Rice questionable for Week 1 at the moment. With the Seahawks also awaiting word on Percy Harvin's (hip) status, receiver is suddenly a question mark. Rice should still be considered a high-risk, high-reward WR3.
Source: Liz Mathews on Twitter

Jul 30 - 4:03 PM

Sidney Rice leaves Seahawks camp for knee treatment - NFL.com

Says here that he is getting that Regenokine treatment, which I believe is what Peyton Manning flew over there to receive in 2011.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Kevin Demoff COO of the Rams said, "Brian Quick has had a very strong offseason and we're excited about his progress. I know a lot was made that he was supposedly the "4th receiver" but I don't know how that story got legs and took on a life of its own. One of the most exciting things during OTA's and the offseason was to watch the offense open up and use all of the weapons, and Brian really presents some matchup problems outside with his height and speed. The goal this year is for Sam to be able to throw to the "open" player, and I expect that we will get meaningful contributions from all 5 WR's, the 2 TE's and the running backs. I think you could see this offense resemble an offense like the Saints where you have 4 or 5 players catch 40-50 balls but nobody who catches 70 or 80. I'm not saying that we are the Saints offense, we need to improve to become that, but more that style where anybody can be a threat on any play. I think that is where we are evolving, letting the down, distance, scheme and coverage dictate who becomes the targeted player.

There is nothing that should hold Brian back from reaching his potential. He's a hard worker, he's diligent about getting better and he's determined to be a featured member of our offense. What has been great to see this offseason is the receivers all pushing one another to get better, they see the talent and they all want to become more involved. It will be fascinating to see how it develops over the next few months, and I can only envision what we can be in the next few years.
"

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00

Cardinals RCB Patrick Peterson ran routes as a receiver in Tuesday's training-camp session.

It's something Peterson occasionally did as a rookie. Although it's an interesting wrinkle for aggressive, vertically-minded coach Bruce Arians, we don't expect Peterson to see anything other than the isolated snap on offense this season.
Source: Mike Jurecki on Twitter

Jul 30 - 6:45 PM

If there's a CB in the NFL who's talented enough to play WR it's he.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

RCB Patrick Peterson is in about 15 of the Cardinals' offensive plays.

Coach Bruce Arians claims Peterson could be one of the top five wide receivers in the NFL. He's using his best corner and dynamic return man on the outside, in the slot and as a wingback. We don't doubt Peterson's athletic ability, but anything more than a fistful of snaps in four-wide sets on offense all year would be a surprise. Larry Fitzgerald, Michael Floyd and Andre Roberts won't be coming off the field much.
Source: SI.com

Aug 5 - 9:18 AM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Stedman Bailey - WR - Rams

Rookie Stedman Bailey will open preseason games as the Rams' No. 5 receiver.

He's behind Chris Givens, Austin Pettis, Tavon Austin, and Brian Quick. Per the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Bailey "has good hands but needs to do a better job tracking the deep ball." The third-rounder isn't on the re-draft fantasy radar.

Aug 5 - 1:35 AM

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
West is going to be tough but I think that bolds well for the 49ers. The better teams you face better prepared you will be for the playoffs.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Jared Cook - TE - Rams

Sam Bradford said he has "all the trust in the world" in Jared Cook.

"I’ve got all the trust in the world that if I put the ball up there he’s gonna go get it," Bradford said. "And I think every time I step out on the field that comfort level grows." NFL Network's Ian Rapoport spent a day at Rams camp earlier in the week, and he reported that Bradford and Cook were "connecting endlessly." As we've said multiple times, Cook is a candidate to set career-highs across the board this season. He's Rotoworld's No. 10 tight end at the moment.

Aug 4 - 12:30 PM