• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

New laptop battery won't charge

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have had both a Dell and a Lenovo that had similar issues. One was the power cord. The so called 'smart power' feature. One was a defect in the on board charging and required servicing. I'm afraid we abandoned Toshiba years ago so we have no recent history with their laptops. Most of ours are HP's.

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Juice, when you uninstalled the driver did you follow these steps exactly?

Yeah, I did it twice out of fascination for my shitty luck at buying this particular machine. It made NO difference.

Yea if it does it on 2 separate operating systems then it would have to be one hell of a coincidence to be a driver.

Seems wild though that the computer can detect the chord, but the electricity coming from the chord isn't powering the battery. It definitely doesn't sound like an issue with the power supply.

Can't be the driver...have uninstalled and reinstalled it too many times. But that's the thing...the software sees the a/c power but the physical PC doesn't. The little light doesn't come on when plugged in at all.

We have had both a Dell and a Lenovo that had similar issues. One was the power cord. The so called 'smart power' feature. One was a defect in the on board charging and required servicing. I'm afraid we abandoned Toshiba years ago so we have no recent history with their laptops. Most of ours are HP's.

USPS just brought me a new battery and power chord from Toshiba...no charge if I send 'em back the old ones. So, I hope it's the damned chord. It seems some kinda power saving feature is causing some problems. As usual, the tree huggin' save energy idiots are giving me a hassle.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, the laptop this one replaced is a Satellite I bought in 2003 at Costco and used every day for the first 5 years and often for the next 7. The thing never ever broke until wifey yanked the chord a couple weeks ago and broke off the connection. Every key still worked...every function. How could I change brands after THAT performance?

Toshiba has went to shit the last few years. I don't know what happened, they used to have some of the best laptops...

Post 2003, their production and quality cheapened.

In the 2015 Consumer Reports at pages 30 and 31, Toshiba Satellites are in last place at 24th overall.

Yeah, I've always had good luck with Toshibas, but I haven't bought a new one in a few years. We're getting ready to replace our desktop with an all-in-one or just a straight laptop, and I was considering another Toshiba. Not now...

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I've always had good luck with Toshibas, but I haven't bought a new one in a few years. We're getting ready to replace our desktop with an all-in-one or just a straight laptop, and I was considering another Toshiba. Not now...

Well, at least they were good service-wise to send me new parts right out. Shit happens but after that old tank of a machine lasting over a decade, it is a bit of a disappointment.

It's really nice having a touchscreen laptop...best of a tablet and laptop. I like and recommend that kind of deal.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Toshiba should have their asses kicked for sending out brand spanking new laptops without fully testing the functionality of the hardware first.

My battery quit charging on my old Dell, but it was after a year or so.....which is right on cue for Dell. They give you just shitty enough hardware that it will last past the guarantee period and then go to hell.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, at least they were good service-wise to send me new parts right out. Shit happens but after that old tank of a machine lasting over a decade, it is a bit of a disappointment.

It's really nice having a touchscreen laptop...best of a tablet and laptop. I like and recommend that kind of deal.

That's what the kids would like. Those are a little more expensive but so much easier to use, and we're all getting more accustomed to touch-screen tech what with the phones and tablets anyway. Kinda need to accept it and get assimilated.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I handle laptop purchases for my company. I've been purchasing Asus laptops for 7 years now and have experienced much better sustained performance and reliability than HP, Dell, Toshiba and Acer.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was always going to build my own PC but just never got around to it. Everyone I know who has done it has saved a ton of money and their machines are still working like champs.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was always going to build my own PC but just never got around to it. Everyone I know who has done it has saved a ton of money and their machines are still working like champs.

I ONLY custom-build desktops (personal use) or have them custom-built (company use) by my primary computer supplier. Not only is it usually less expensive, but it's most often more upgradable and it's always exactly what I want.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been purchasing Asus laptops for 7 years now and have experienced much better sustained performance and reliability than HP, Dell, Toshiba and Acer.

Acers are just rebranded Gateway PCs, which Acer bought out. I still prefer MSI motherboards over ASUS, every ASUS MB I've had has been crap.

Dolemite censored

Bigfoot is real
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure were...but now i get angry when it refuses to print because one color is low or a cartridge is out of date. That makes me so f'ing mad!

I have a Photosmart C6150, and recently downloaded the updated driver/dashboard.
Things been running flawlessly for 7 years.

I charge my inks as office supplies on my monthly allowance and I have a bunch on hand.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I'll be damned.......now my battery/chord/computer is acting weird.

Every time I power up my computer now suddenly it tells me that the computer cannot detect the power source.......but then when windows loads down in the dock it says my battery is 100% charged, is charging, but cannot charge.....and has a big red X over it.

:lol:

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Acers are just rebranded Gateway PCs, which Acer bought out. I still prefer MSI motherboards over ASUS, every ASUS MB I've had has been crap.

My experience with MSI and Asus desktop boards has been equivalent. Both are lesser quality boards than Intel, though.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends on the class of board. Asus puts out some of the best gaming boards available, but their server stuff is garbage. It's just like most other companies these days. Few are tops in all that they produce.

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I'll be damned.......now my battery/chord/computer is acting weird.

Every time I power up my computer now suddenly it tells me that the computer cannot detect the power source.......but then when windows loads down in the dock it says my battery is 100% charged, is charging, but cannot charge.....and has a big red X over it.

:lol:

It's catching! Blow on the plug spot...prolly dusty.

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So...this is what happened:

I plugged in the new chord and nuthin' changed.
Then, I installed the new battery after uninstalling the related drivers. I booted back up and, guess what, nothing was any fucking different.

So, I flipped the little bastard over and stuck a pin in that reset hole that clicks the tiny button inside...AND THE BATTERY LIGHT CAME ON AND THE BASTID STARTED CHARGING!

The problem has something to do with Windows. The battery charges while off and through the entire boot-up process. Then, as soon as Windows 8.1 starts to open it stops charging and the little plugged-in light goes off. So, hopefully the faggots at Microsoft will get a fix soon for this. Until then, I'll just charge it while it's off. With 6+ hours of battery life, that won't be a problem.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, I flipped the little bastard over and stuck a pin in that reset hole that clicks the tiny button inside...AND THE BATTERY LIGHT CAME ON AND THE BASTID STARTED CHARGING!

The problem has something to do with Windows. The battery charges while off and through the entire boot-up process. Then, as soon as Windows 8.1 starts to open it stops charging and the little plugged-in light goes off. So, hopefully the faggots at Microsoft will get a fix soon for this. Until then, I'll just charge it while it's off. With 6+ hours of battery life, that won't be a problem.

Just a thought, and I have had this happen once on a Dell, the reset is not working correctly. Either the spring (or pin mechanism) is mis-seated or perhaps missing.