• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

New Bears! Eddie Royal and Antrel Rolle

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's official The Chicago Bears have a new WR and Safety.

Rolle 3 years $11.25M $5M guaranteed. That's a little rich for me, but it's not my money. A much needed position... hope his 32 year old body holds up.

Love the Eddie Royal signing. No word on the money yet. 28 and very similar stats to Marshall last year. Younger/faster/better in the LR. Score!

Thoughts?

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:hope: Not much to think about, two solid veteran talents, in the case of Rolle better than what we have had recently and in Royal's case, an ex team mate of Jay's, professional Wr, fills a hole. I approve of the signings, not that it matters.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Overpaid for a old guy and a downgrade at WR. I would have liked a younger safety. Need to see what we paid for Royal before judging.

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the signings. Rolle is a proven leader, something the Bears need in the locker room (nay-sayers, just read any recent article on the guy for references) and Royal gives the team versatility in the slot.

Like it.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look at Rolle as a one year 5 million dollar deal. He wont be here all three, hell, they are all one year contracts.

Cant wait til Fox can get these guys "on the grass" so he really sees what they are working with. Basically, every defensive end is being considered as an OLB now, but the one that belongs at OLB, Shea will first be put at ILB.

I guess its better than 30 million dollar deals with guys that only play well on turf so its a plus.

C

cubzzzfanincali

Don't like the Rolle signing at all, but assuming we got royal for roughly 3 or 4 million a year I think that's a good one.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every Giants fan I know loves Rolle? He's got 9 picks the last two seasons. I look at it like AI...this is a two year deal at best. It will not hamper the team financially and his name is not Chris Conte.

I would have preferred Ron Parker, but will take Rolle over what we currently have in a heartbeat.

Safety was a revolving door last year, and we currently only had 3 on the team. Hell, we have room for a couple more!

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rolle is a tackling machine, he is a fine replacement for Conte, and I agree with the above, these are all 1 year deals in essence. You can't tell me he isn't better, even at his old age, than anything we had last season or the 3-4 seasons before. Is he the answer in 3 years... no. Stop gap, that's all.

I hope the Bears nab that other Safety they're looking at. They would make a nice pairing.

UnrealTerm04

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats on the new additions to your team... Hopefully, 2015 will be a great season for you and a back to dominance for the Bears.

C

cubzzzfanincali

Rolle USED to be a tackling machine, and used to be a great playmaker. Last year he fell off a cliff. He had a nice start, but after week 6 he was a complete bust. He was notorious last year for blowing tackles, losing guys on routes....you think you didn't like the safety play two years ago, just wait. Now, I only have one friend who is a Giants fan...and he used to love Rolle too. But by the end of last year it seemed like he wanted to kill him.

Pull out some game tapes, and see it for yourself.

But I suppose it doesn't really matter, it's really only one year of guarantee, so no major damage done. I mean, it would have been nice to lock up some younger safety on a longer term contract, but it's not like it binds the organization in any kind of significant way. So I don't like the deal, but it's not a franchise-killer or anything like that.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rolle......meh.........too old. But hopefully he has something left in the tank.

Royal........not too bad of a signing........Could of been worse.

And I would still like to see Terence Knighton.

C

cubzzzfanincali

I would love to see Pot Roast signed with us. To me, that's a good long term signing to make, and you pay what it takes to get him. Blowing $5 million on Rolle isn't a big deal if we don't shortchange someone like him and lose out. If we do, it's what you call a strategic mistake.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eddie Royal deal is: 3-yrs $15M with 10 guarenteed

C

cubzzzfanincali

OK, while I like the Eddie Royal signing, we did slightly overpay. He's basically getting $5.5 million this year and $4.5 million next year, both guaranteed, then $5 million (none guaranteed) in 2017. That's a little bit over market, I would say somewhere around $1.5 million compared to his comparables.

I like the signing, but he got a little bit of a premium.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, while I like the Eddie Royal signing, we did slightly overpay. He's basically getting $5.5 million this year and $4.5 million next year, both guaranteed, then $5 million (none guaranteed) in 2017. That's a little bit over market, I would say somewhere around $1.5 million compared to his comparables.

I like the signing, but he got a little bit of a premium.
FA's cost 10 to 15% more and that is about the difference in his pay. I'll pay the little extra for the proven guy with NFL experience.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cali- I hear what you are saying and agree. But just wait on that... if he goes 1200 yards and 10 tds. that would be a great deal! So let's see what he does first. Do like the signing though.

C

cubzzzfanincali

FA's cost 10 to 15% more and that is about the difference in his pay. I'll pay the little extra for the proven guy with NFL experience.

The premium I was referring to was as compared to other comparable proven guys with NFL experience. And in this case, I'd say the premium was more like 30% or so. Not a huge issue, but he's a little bit expensive.

C

cubzzzfanincali

Cali- I hear what you are saying and agree. But just wait on that... if he goes 1200 yards and 10 tds. that would be a great deal! So let's see what he does first. Do like the signing though.

well, sure, I mean hopefully that's what happens. Of course he could produce to the downside as well. All of these conversations are instant snap judgments, because it is the offseason and we have nothing else to discuss.