• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NCAA Oversight Committee suggests 6 week practice period before play starts

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NCAA's Football Oversight Committee Suggests 6-Week Practice Period Before Season Can Begin - Stadium

"The NCAA’s Football Oversight Committee has suggested a six-week period before returning to play, sources told Stadium.

The six-week period will not be officially recommended until the committee receives the necessary approval of the NCAA COVID-19 Advisory Panel. That approval could come later this week, sources said. The six-week time frame, if formally approved, is significant because it would give universities a better indication of when exactly the college football season could start, a time frame that’s dependent on allowing students to return to campus this fall in the first place."

Seems like a good idea. The country may be fine by late August but campuses are almost certainly going to be shut down during large chunks of summer where students would normally be on campus to start summer conditioning. Also seems like the NCAA is definitely preparing to start the season late and does that mean losing games or going into December/January?

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rebelious bunch of Baptist!

www.texastribune.org/2020/04/27/coronavirus-updates-texas/

I just hope we have a season. I'd even take 6-8 games if that is all we can get.

I still say the key to all this is when/if students are allowed back at school...both in K-12 and higher ed. JMO.
I suspect we will, but I also think it's almost guaranteed to get delayed. But I hope it's a full season still. I'd rather watch games in Jan/Feb than just delete them all together. But yes, a short season is still better than no season. The real question is what the actual universities do. I can't imagine Universities going remote but still having athletes on campus.

CaptainStubing

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
good. at least it's a logical plan to try and get some football going.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, about the middle of July for the season to start on time.

Good they have plans in place.
That seems like the breaking point. If we don't know by mid-july it's likely that the season is getting at least delayed.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I suspect we will, but I also think it's almost guaranteed to get delayed. But I hope it's a full season still. I'd rather watch games in Jan/Feb than just delete them all together. But yes, a short season is still better than no season. The real question is what the actual universities do. I can't imagine Universities going remote but still having athletes on campus.
I can't either. And if it isn't okay for students to go to class I can't imagine it would be okay for fans to go to the stadium.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way teams that are spread out across the U.S. from sea to shining sea are all going to avoid virus-related problems for six consecutive months so every game can be played. Forgive me but I'd prefer to see the whole season put on ice rather than go through the agony and risk of "who is in an area this week where the virus is ramping back up and/or the shutdowns are being reimposed". Not enough people will want to sit shoulder to shoulder to watch games anyway and travel will still be problematic. "Social distancing" would also be ludicrous trying to have people sit in every other seat or every third seat or whatever. Who does and doesn't get to attend the games? Good luck trying to work out a system for that problem where you don't have total chaos and a lot of hard feelings. Nope. We need to face reality. Putting football teams on the field this season involves too much risk and the athletic directors won't want every game to be a heaving crap shoot whether or not there will even be a kickoff allowed. I hate it. Now cue Trump proposing another financial bailout targeted at college athletic programs when this happens.

Helmet_wall_new_site.jpg

Angry red

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way teams that are spread out across the U.S. from sea to shining sea are all going to avoid virus-related problems for six consecutive months so every game can be played. Forgive me but I'd prefer to see the whole season put on ice rather than go through the agony and risk of "who is in an area this week where the virus is ramping back up and/or the shutdowns are being reimposed". Not enough people will want to sit shoulder to shoulder to watch games anyway and travel will still be problematic. "Social distancing" would also be ludicrous trying to have people sit in every other seat or every third seat or whatever. Who does and doesn't get to attend the games? Good luck trying to work out a system for that problem where you don't have total chaos and a lot of hard feelings. Nope. We need to face reality. Putting football teams on the field this season involves too much risk and the athletic directors won't want every game to be a heaving crap shoot whether or not there will even be a kickoff allowed. I hate it. Now cue Trump proposing another financial bailout targeted at college athletic programs when this happens.

Helmet_wall_new_site.jpg

Are you crying? Did you buy your gold online? There will be a season. It will start on time. Do you know why?

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That seems like the breaking point. If we don't know by mid-july it's likely that the season is getting at least delayed.

Hopefully the Midwest states have decided if we can sit down at a restaurant by then.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't either. And if it isn't okay for students to go to class I can't imagine it would be okay for fans to go to the stadium.

They will not have a season if students and fans can't go to the games. It'd completely destroy so many schools athletic budgets.

I read an article that said 75% of the revenue for college programs comes from ticket sales/home games.

I'm starting to think more and more that they may not even have a season this year for CFB. The NFL can get away with having a season with no fans. Ticket sales only account for 15% of their revenue.

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They will not have a season if students and fans can't go to the games. It'd completely destroy so many schools athletic budgets.

I read an article that said 75% of the revenue for college programs comes from ticket sales/home games.

I'm starting to think more and more that they may not even have a season this year for CFB. The NFL can get away with having a season with no fans. Ticket sales only account for 15% of their revenue.

You're making a point, but the article didn't go in depth enough.

First...The NFL could play in empty stadiums and still turn a profit, because of TV revenue. Ticket sales and sale
of team clothing is gravy.

The way you typed the words..."ticket sales/Home Games" tells a bigger story. BOOSTER MONEY. You buy a ticket to get
inside the stadium. Then you have to purchase your seat. That purchase price is by location of the seat. If you want to sit on the 50 yard line...that seat costs you 10K. (One time cost) 4 seats would be 40K. Scales down to 5K, 3K, 2500,
1K. Anything between the goal lines you have to donate for the seat(s) you're sitting in. The only exceptions are the
students and FSU now puts 1/3 of them in the North End Zone or the tickets allocated to the visiting team. (1/2 of theirtickets are not between the goal lines but in the SE corner of the stadium.

It's more than just ticket sales. It's the booster donations. (Purchasing the seats.). The worse part of CFB...is all that
income is managed by Educators who don't have a fucking clue about business and money.

If you ever get a chance to attend a meeting of the school administration and Board of Trustees, you will realize
two things. One , before the meeting and the other 10 minutes after the meeting begins.

Before the meeting you will say to yourself..."What the hell am I doing here...I'm dumber than dirt."
The second thing you will say, 10 minutes after the meeting has begun..."I'm the smartest person in this fucking room."

PSUTE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Without strength and conditioning training there's gonna be a lot of injuries...

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're making a point, but the article didn't go in depth enough.

First...The NFL could play in empty stadiums and still turn a profit, because of TV revenue. Ticket sales and sale
of team clothing is gravy.

The way you typed the words..."ticket sales/Home Games" tells a bigger story. BOOSTER MONEY. You buy a ticket to get
inside the stadium. Then you have to purchase your seat. That purchase price is by location of the seat. If you want to sit on the 50 yard line...that seat costs you 10K. (One time cost) 4 seats would be 40K. Scales down to 5K, 3K, 2500,
1K. Anything between the goal lines you have to donate for the seat(s) you're sitting in. The only exceptions are the
students and FSU now puts 1/3 of them in the North End Zone or the tickets allocated to the visiting team. (1/2 of theirtickets are not between the goal lines but in the SE corner of the stadium.

It's more than just ticket sales. It's the booster donations. (Purchasing the seats.). The worse part of CFB...is all that
income is managed by Educators who don't have a fucking clue about business and money.

If you ever get a chance to attend a meeting of the school administration and Board of Trustees, you will realize
two things. One , before the meeting and the other 10 minutes after the meeting begins.

Before the meeting you will say to yourself..."What the hell am I doing here...I'm dumber than dirt."
The second thing you will say, 10 minutes after the meeting has begun..."I'm the smartest person in this fucking room."

There's something else at play here too. There is a sense of entitlement at these big schools regarding donors. Sometimes things get a little out of focus and the athletic departments start acting as if they're doing the donors a favor by providing seating plans, special events for donors, etc. Every school has a few die hard donors but times have changed. Donors are now more willing to reduce their support if they feel something is not right with the coaching or the reward for their donations is reduced or whatever the particular case might be. Games without fans would be a deal killer for donors. I'm just like most other people; I give because I want to support my school but i sure as hell won't do it at the same level if I get nothing tangible for my money. I want more than a warm fuzzy feeling when I write those checks. No fans allowed in the stands = a substantially amount of donor contributions. Paying for ticket priority without getting tickets is a laughable concept.......even to the most entitled athletic directors.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's something else at play here too. There is a sense of entitlement at these big schools regarding donors. Sometimes things get a little out of focus and the athletic departments start acting as if they're doing the donors a favor by providing seating plans, special events for donors, etc. Every school has a few die hard donors but times have changed. Donors are now more willing to reduce their support if they feel something is not right with the coaching or the reward for their donations is reduced or whatever the particular case might be. Games without fans would be a deal killer for donors. I'm just like most other people; I give because I want to support my school but i sure as hell won't do it at the same level if I get nothing tangible for my money. I want more than a warm fuzzy feeling when I write those checks. No fans allowed in the stands = a substantially amount of donor contributions. Paying for ticket priority without getting tickets is a laughable concept.......even to the most entitled athletic directors.
Not to mention, this recession may break the "mandatory donation" model for tickets moving forward. For my Mich tickets I pay $200 per ticket just for the "opportunity" to purchase my season tickets. With stadiums struggling to get people in seats, this may be the deal that broke the camel's back. With so many people out of jobs right now, I can't imagine people are going to be shelling out $120 per ticket to attend a CFB game in the fall. Even if they're allowed to fill stadiums to some extent, getting people to shell out the money may be a hard request. Mine is already paid for, but this will sure be interesting to see.

I could also see them opening up stadiums ONLY to season ticket holders for "social distance". Like reducing Michigan stadium's capacity to 25-30K. Allow only students and season ticket holders.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Helmet_wall_new_site.jpg
College students are actually the strongest of all of us and the smart thing to do would be to put them back on campus and speed the "herd immunity" because yes it probably would start spreading on campuses to some degree but it would speed the overall country's recovery. The spread of the virus is way more widespread than originally thought and the survival rates are far greater than was modeled.

Now those that are most vulnerable obviously should still take precautions but college-age kids actually are at very low risk so personally I would put them back in school and start-up all activities in pretty much everywhere except places like New York, California and New Orleans.

Note this has nothing to do with football and everything to do with getting the country back on track.

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tom Herman did an interview live the other day and said the same thing. He and the other Big12 coaches all feel like they need 6 weeks of practice to get ready for the season.. Broke it down to Pads/shorts to full contact. As much as I think it will be a bad idea, but if they are gonna play it, might as well keep to the original schedule. We act like young healthy men are invincible to this virus but while they may not die.. some will be out for a few weeks as they recover from the symptoms. Wonder how the 300 lb OL/DL players cope with this

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tom Herman did an interview live the other day and said the same thing. He and the other Big12 coaches all feel like they need 6 weeks of practice to get ready for the season.. Broke it down to Pads/shorts to full contact. As much as I think it will be a bad idea, but if they are gonna play it, might as well keep to the original schedule. We act like young healthy men are invincible to this virus but while they may not die.. some will be out for a few weeks as they recover from the symptoms. Wonder how the 300 lb OL/DL players cope with this

Good point about the big guys.

In some ways a truncated season is worse than a cancelled season. Players could have gotten sick. Coaches. Anyone associated with putting a team on the field who was put into situations where social distancing would have been better. And my concern is if suddenly USC or Washington or Miami or Rutgers or Whoever can't play any more games and their season is finished early. It could happen to Georgia, Oregon, anyone. It would be chaos. The financial angle is the driving force here. So many schools are barely hanging on as it is now.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So they get sick. I mean goodness gracious. If they don't want to play they should be allowed to not play obviously. Life is a choice.