• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: NBA Finals: Los Angeles Lakers vs. Miami Heat

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea i have to agree

I am starting to think Giannis is overrated. It wasn't like his team was that bad either and it was in the East.

He is like a taller stat padder version of Harden. His style doesn't work well in this NBA because he can't shoot from the outside

I wouldn't go so far as to call him overrated. But folks tend to "anoint" some players before they've actually accomplished anything. The same thing happened with Lebron. He started being included in the GOAT convo before he really deserved to be in it. People started calling Kobe the next MJ before he had any business being compared to him as well.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's not a good excuse. He should have put some duct tape on that so called injury and not taken time off for no reason.

As my old football coaches used to say back in the day..."Rub some dirt on it. You'll be fine". lol

lebron23james

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't go so far as to call him overrated. But folks tend to "anoint" some players before they've actually accomplished anything. The same thing happened with Lebron. He started being included in the GOAT convo before he really deserved to be in it. People started calling Kobe the next MJ before he had any business being compared to him as well.

I just ment overrated in peoples minds. @tlance had him beating the Cavs teams with Lebron that were making consecutive finals, and the fact that he got the regular season MVP and DPOY and gets busted in the 2nd round of the east....All talk nothing proven

Lebron and Kobe lived up to the hype...I am not sold Gianis will

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trying to put him the east changes little for me. I realize the west is tougher. But only two winning seasons in seven? And that's why it comes down to the help he had, it wasn't enough. That's not a knock on him. He couldn't control something like that.

That's my point. With the roster he had, he probably has better records and makes the playoffs more than he did in the West. But those rosters weren't even getting him out of the East. As you say, he doesn't control who his FO puts around him.

His upcoming contract. What kind of offer do you expect from the Lakers?

I expect that the Lakers will, offer him every single penny they are allowed to under the cap and if they can figure out a way to pay him more...they'll do that too. lol

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just ment overrated in peoples minds. @tlance had him beating the Cavs teams with Lebron that were making consecutive finals, and the fact that he got the regular season MVP and DPOY and gets busted in the 2nd round of the east....All talk nothing proven

Lebron and Kobe lived up to the hype...I am not sold Gianis will

Yeah, I think there's some truth that the results haven't lived up to the hype. I think that, like Lebron and Kobe, he eventually will live up to it. But until he does, there's always the chance he won't.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's my point. With the roster he had, he probably has better records and makes the playoffs more than he did in the West. But those rosters weren't even getting him out of the East. As you say, he doesn't control who his FO puts around him.

I expect that the Lakers will, offer him every single penny they are allowed to under the cap and if they can figure out a way to pay him more...they'll do that too. lol

Well I don't think you have to worry about AD going back home to play for the Bulls. Why take sure a big step backwards just to play in your hometown?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I don't think you have to worry about AD going back home to play for the Bulls. Why take sure a big step backwards just to play in your hometown?

What's going to be interesting is to see what happens with the cap. It may not be as high as it was going to be before the Covid Cooties. He may be better off signing a 1 year deal for whatever the cap allows and then hitting free agency again the following year when the cap may be closer to normal.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lebron was hurt. They were a top 4 seed when he wasn't injured. He wouldn't have missed the playoffs.

Wait, what? Yes you can give him a decent roster and he will still win. LOL Did you see some of the rosters he took to the playoffs, got #1 seed, carried to the Finals...yes he is older now but could make the playoffs with this roster without a doubt.

And Lebron returned while they were in the playoff race and faltered.

I've seen some of the pedestrian rosters he's had, pretty much all in Cleveland. Fully aware he took a bad roster in 2007 to the Finals. But he doesn't take crap rosters consistently to the Finals. He's done it once.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not getting that injured Lakers squad to the playoffs last year was the defining moment of his career.

Not saying he's completely at fault for that and recognize that he was injured for part of the season. Having said that, he came back while they were in the thick of a playoff race and they missed the playoffs.

Lebron's a great player. Don't know how many times I need to say it.

But again, let's put things into perspective when we say he can carry any roster to success.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some are acting like AD and Lebron are close to having the same impact on the floor. While AD puts up big numbers...Lebron elevates players and can win with anyone. Lets put it this way...

You take Lebron off this roster. And we have the Pelicans 2.0 without COUSINS and HOLIDAY and you replace a younger Rondo with an older Rondo. Would be surprised if they sniffed the playoffs.

You take AD off this roster and we know Lebron can lead this team to the playoffs even at 35 years old.

Giannis and AD are both great players but AD is not the distributor that Giannis is and that makes all the difference in the world.

Yup. When he's the robin he can sit back and worry about 2 things. Hitting shots and defending. As the #1 guy there is obviously more responsibility. AD is obviously great but no way would i take him before Giannis if i dont have another superstar on the roster

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's going to be interesting is to see what happens with the cap. It may not be as high as it was going to be before the Covid Cooties. He may be better off signing a 1 year deal for whatever the cap allows and then hitting free agency again the following year when the cap may be closer to normal.

They'll figure something out. There's no way AD leaves LA.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,381.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's not a good excuse. He should have put some duct tape on that so called injury and not taken time off for no reason.
Pffffffft......rub some dirt on it.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not saying he's completely at fault for that and recognize that he was injured for part of the season. Having said that, he came back while they were in the thick of a playoff race and they missed the playoffs.

Lebron's a great player. Don't know how many times I need to say it.

But again, let's put things into perspective when we say he can carry any roster to success.

Actually that comment was a shot at wiggy. He was saying that crazy nonsense last season. Also nobody knows what last seasons Lakers would have done. The injury bug got them bad. Not saying he would have taken them to the Finals. But he would have returned the Lakers to the playoffs for the first time in years that's for sure.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,381.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you're just going to pretend that AD is needed to distribute with Lebron on the team.

I'd be willing to bet that if Giannis was on the floor with Lebron or Rondo (and often times both). he wouldn't be distributing nearly as much.

Your teammates make all the difference in the world.
This.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He got 1 round closer and it was in the East. If they were legit, they'd have gotten out of the East.

AD had to try to get through the Warriors.

AD won 1 playoff series in his career prior to LA and missed the playoffs most years.

I am a big AD fan. But it is a major prisoner of the moment thing to say he is better than Giannis.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you're just going to pretend that AD is needed to distribute with Lebron on the team.

I'd be willing to bet that if Giannis was on the floor with Lebron or Rondo (and often times both). he wouldn't be distributing nearly as much.

Your teammates make all the difference in the world.

Did he say that?

AD has been on other rosters where the offense flowed through him and he was needed to distribute.

Giannis is a better play maker. I don’t even know why people are pretending otherwise. It isn’t really even close.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AD won 1 playoff series in his career prior to LA and missed the playoffs most years.

I am a big AD fan. But it is a major prisoner of the moment thing to say he is better than Giannis.

lol

No it isn't. He hasn't had the help Giannis had and he has played in the West. Put Giannis on the Pels with what AD had and he doesn't fare any better in the West.