• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Name the breweries

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have tried beers from these microbrewries in VA, they all have good beers.

Devil's Backbone, Nelson/Lexington-- a really good IPA and Vienna, has some award winning beers

Breweries | VA Beer Trail

For you Virginians..

Devil's Backbone won multiple awards at the GABF including Gold Medal for its Vienna Lager, Silver for Dark Lager and Baltic Style Porter, several bronze medals and "Small Brewpup Brewer of the year". Blue Mountain also won a bronze medal.Some friends and I are planning a trip up to Wintergreen resort (maybe next year) to maybe play golf and sample some of this fine beer right at the tap-room. Most of their beers are not distributed (only thing I can get around here in bottles is Vienna, 8-point IPA, and Congo Belgian APA). Hopefully more will roll out in the future.

Another note from above: Their IPA is just OK, very one-notish (after drinking more of it over the last several months). The Belgian Extra PA is better and more complex IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:

antone112

who gives a fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,290.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Upstream- By far, my favorite.

Lucky Bucket
Nebraska Brewing Co
Shillingbridge

Empryean

I know there are some breweries on the west side of the state but have not tried anything from them.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not the best beer but taking the tour of their brewery well over 15 years ago is what got me into the whole process.....

http://www.straubbeer.com/home.php

Nothing is better than the eternal tap at the end.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not the best beer but taking the tour of their brewery well over 15 years ago is what got me into the whole process.....

http://www.straubbeer.com/home.php

Nothing is better than the eternal tap at the end.

had Straub a couple of times, my bro-in-law did some distributing for them.

Brewery tours are awesome. I went on one a couple years ago at Weeping Radish in NC, and over the summer I did one at Kona Brewing Co. while I was in Hawaii.

HighTide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Straight to Ale is a new one in Huntsville, I had one from there that was good, I forget the name of the beer though.

Cahaba Brewing Company is a new place, but I've yet to try yet.

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For you Virginians..

Devil's Backbone won multiple awards at the GABF including Gold Medal for its Vienna Lager, Silver for Dark Lager and Baltic Style Porter, several bronze medals and "Small Brewpup Brewer of the year". Blue Mountain also won a bronze medal.Some friends and I are planning a trip up to Wintergreen resort (maybe next year) to maybe play golf and sample some of this fine beer right at the tap-room. Most of their beers are not distributed (only thing I can get around here in bottles is Vienna, 8-point IPA, and Congo Belgian APA). Hopefully more will roll out in the future.

Another note from above: Their IPA is just OK, very one-notish (after drinking more of it over the last several months). The Belgian Extra PA is better and more complex IMO.

Was able to pick up their Kilt Flasher (Scottish Wee Heavy) a few weeks ago and it was very good. May be one of the next recipes I look to make or just get my cousin to bring my growler with him the next time he and his girlfriend head up that way.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there's a new one in the hampton roads area. Smart Mouth Brewing. I havent been there but my buddy gave me a growler of their IPA for christmas...it was pretty tasty, i'd be interested to check them out more in depth:D

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Co-worker/Buddy's brother brought me down 4 sixers of New Glarus from Wisky. This is what I will be sipping on the next couple weeks.

New Glarus Brewing

Two-Women--Classic Country Lager
TwoWomen.png

Black Top-- Black IPA
BlackTop.png

Fat Squirrel -- Nut Brown Ale
FatSquirrel.png

Laughing Fox - Kristal Weizen
LaughingFox.png

Sadly..no Moon Man. but its all good!

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
rahr and sons...spoetzl(shiner bock)...saint arnold...southern star(step dad knows the owner so a bit biased)(the former head brewer of saint arnold).....

The Crimson King

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Straight to Ale is a new one in Huntsville, I had one from there that was good, I forget the name of the beer though.

Cahaba Brewing Company is a new place, but I've yet to try yet.

We carry Straight to Ale's milk stout.

also Yellowhammer brewery's Lost Highway......haven't tried it yet

sooner78wakeboard

Sooner Born, Sooner Bred
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I worked/lived in D.C./Bowie, we'd hit up a place called The DuClaw Brewing Company. They crafted thier own brews and it was pretty good. Each month they came out with a new draft. Wish they had one here in OKC.

: : : DuClaw Brewing Company : : :

logo_duclaw.jpg

Gatorchip

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,015.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that I'm living in the land of Microbreweries, I can't make up my mind.

Team Mookie

You won't live forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Team Mookie

You won't live forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You will have noticed that I haven’t included any breweries from Cincinnati. The reason is because I believe most of the brews coming out of the Queen city are from large breweries such as Boston brewing company and Hudepohl Brewing Company (Little Kings).

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Add to Virginia:

Hardywood - Richmond, Virginia (near the diamond). I love Legend, but this is underrated even in the city.

Midnight Brewery - Goochland, Virginia (outside of Richmond's West End). New and worth a look.

Further, Richmond area is sprouting up a few more craft breweries in the next few years. Another out west, and a few more down town. It seems beer and wine makers are exploding in the Commonwealth.