• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Multiple teams interested in M Young

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"In a report filed to FOXSports.com, Rosenthal described the interest in Young around the league as 'intense' on Tuesday, adding the number of teams that have already contacted the Phillies has reached double digits.

Young, 36, is batting .288 with a .759 OPS after joining the Phillies in an offseason trade from his longtime team, the Texas Rangers. The Red Sox would play Young at third base. The Yankees, another interested team, could play him at third and first. Other clubs, sources say, would use Young at least part-time at second, which he last played in 2012 and last played regularly in ‘03.

The demand for Young is rising in part because of the shortage of quality right-handed hitters on the trade market. The Phillies, however, have no obvious internal replacement for Young, particularly if they plan to overtake the Braves in the National League East."

Caligula

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The Phillies, however, have no obvious internal replacement for Young, particularly if they plan to overtake the Braves in the National League East.

1. Finding a replacement for a .759 OPS hitter is not difficult.

2. Young has a negative WAR offensively and defensively. So, it would take a lot of effort to do worse than Young.

3. They have Frandsen.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

2. Young has a negative WAR offensively and defensively. So, it would take a lot of effort to do worse than Young.

3. They have Frandsen.

i didn't write this shit, caligula. i copied and pasted it from fox sports. trust me, i want young traded and frandsen to start at third more than anybody. m young needs to go, especially if the interest is this high

Caligula

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
i didn't write this shit, caligula. i copied and pasted it from fox sports. trust me, i want young traded and frandsen to start at third more than anybody. m young needs to go, especially if the interest is this high

I'm not saying you wrote it. I was highlighting the stupidity of the article and highlighting how easy it would be to replace Young.

Last edited by a moderator:

SickFelonIsGOAT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RAJ needs to trade the players that teams are really interested in on our team while he can. These players aren't gonna be around next year anyway and they aren't really in the running for the NL East even if fans/media/front office want to believe they are.

I read an article the other day that the Phillies have the hardest SOS out of them, the Nats and the Braves. Also, the Phillies expected win-loss record is 43-53, 5 games below their real record, which means that they are playing below what their record indicates. Meanwhile, the Braves expected W-L record is 3 games above their actual record, so they are playing better than what their record indicates.

The past little stretch is fools gold and is gonna ultimately destroy us if RAJ believes we really have a chance. I know this sounds bad, but I hope they get smashed in these games leading up to the deadline, which could happen considering the teams/pitchers they are playing/facing.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea Sickfelon. The plight of the Phillies in the second half is a precarious one. Like I have been stating for some time now, if Reuben does nothing, which it looks like he is going to do, things can only go from precarious to disaster pretty quick if we say suffer more injuries or our bullpen just never gets roaring or the remaining bats go dead.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

3. They have Frandsen.

Finding a .third baseman that is a 759 OPS hitter is pretty difficult. Too bad as a third baseman, Young gives all of that back with his fielding. At this point in his career he seems a little like Ty Wigginton. Teams are interested in his versatility, but when you look at the overall picture you're just gambling that he helps you offensively and doesn't cost you too much on defense.

Frandsen has been great, but I think they would actually miss him as a pinch hitter. I wouldn't mind seeing Asche from triple A get a shot at starting.

SickFelonIsGOAT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea Sickfelon. The plight of the Phillies in the second half is a precarious one. Like I have been stating for some time now, if Reuben does nothing, which it looks like he is going to do, things can only go from precarious to disaster pretty quick if we say suffer more injuries or our bullpen just never gets roaring or the remaining bats go dead.

I agree about the Phillies 2nd half being precarious. Fans are stuck on our great past 2nd half surges but don't realize that they were in large part because Ryan Howard was a huge 2nd half performer, and he won't be here for most of that now. I guess it is still possible, but I just don't see it.

I will tell you though, that I much rather Rube do nothing than sell some farm pieces for old rentals. I am more concerned with him gutting our farm even more to go all in just for this year, considering that a lot of our players and some core players are old and contracts are up at the end of the year.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Caligula, your drinking buddy Derek Lowe just retired from baseball today. Maybe when he blows through his 36 million you can get him a few shifts at Applebee's

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree about the Phillies 2nd half being precarious. Fans are stuck on our great past 2nd half surges but don't realize that they were in large part because Ryan Howard was a huge 2nd half performer, and he won't be here for most of that now. I guess it is still possible, but I just don't see it.

I will tell you though, that I much rather Rube do nothing than sell some farm pieces for old rentals. I am more concerned with him gutting our farm even more to go all in just for this year, considering that a lot of our players and some core players are old and contracts are up at the end of the year.

I agree with you on that. I can live with Ruben trying to make a run with guys like Utley and Ruiz but I would hate to see him trade away prospects for veterans.

Caligula

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Hey Caligula, your drinking buddy Derek Lowe just retired from baseball today. Maybe when he blows through his 36 million you can get him a few shifts at Applebee's

As soon as Lowe gets back from being an inebriated mess in Nevada, we are going to tear shit up in only the finest Applebees Jersey has to offer.

I'm fixin' the Tee-Tops and hammering out the dents in the IROC as I type this.

Caligula

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Finding a .third baseman that is a 759 OPS hitter is pretty difficult.
Young has a negative WAR in offense (-0.1) and on defense (-1.2) which means he is below average for the third base position.

Frandsen has been great, but I think they would actually miss him as a pinch hitter. I wouldn't mind seeing Asche from triple A get a shot at starting.
Frandsen's last 329 plate appearances have been significantly than Young's last 329 plate appearances. I don't think he should be the third baseman next season, but having him take the spot, along with any minor leaguer that call up will not be worse than what Young has done at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with WAR, is that it seems to be different depending on where you get it from. Now I understand why the guy in the song questioned what it is good for. Baseball Reference has his offensive WAR at 1.2 and defense at -1.2 for a -.1 overall. If you look at his ops vs other third basemen who play regularly he is 10th overall and like 3rd or 4th in the NL so I have to think he would have a positive WAR, even with the double plays. He has definitely been better offensively than Pedro Feliz and Polanco the last couple years.

_phiLLies_

shut up baby, i know it
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i still think it's 100% pointless to keep young, being that asche can do better offensively and defensively. fully believe that. so anything for young, that he approves, is a bonus.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with WAR, is that it seems to be different depending on where you get it from. Now I understand why the guy in the song questioned what it is good for. Baseball Reference has his offensive WAR at 1.2 and defense at -1.2 for a -.1 overall. If you look at his ops vs other third basemen who play regularly he is 10th overall and like 3rd or 4th in the NL so I have to think he would have a positive WAR, even with the double plays. He has definitely been better offensively than Pedro Feliz and Polanco the last couple years.

i'd take an '08 feliz or a '10 polanco over '13 young anyday

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
_phillies_ Go over to the "ESPN Posters Check" thread and read either post #31 or #61. There is some info for you there. Also, Fordman84 and Powerchord86 are your mods here on the Philly pages as well.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i still think it's 100% pointless to keep young, being that asche can do better offensively and defensively. fully believe that. so anything for young, that he approves, is a bonus.

I'm not as confident as you that Asche would do better Offensively for the rest of this season, but I agree that trading Young would probably be a plus and in this case the WAR stat actually shows that, even if you just go by the Baseball Reference WAR that has him at -0.1 total. Asche would be the hypothetical "Replacement" (I'm guessing that means a solid minor leaguer ready to be promoted). So you would get basically a wash or very slight improvement with Asche and also you could get something in return for Young.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'd take an '08 feliz or a '10 polanco over '13 young anyday

Yeah, that's my point. Young has clearly hit better than Feliz ever did and better than Polanco his last couple years but Young's defense (or lack thereof) makes him less valuable than those guys. For him to be an upgrade we would probably need 2011 or earlier Michael Young, which would involve a time machine.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, that's my point. Young has clearly hit better than Feliz ever did and better than Polanco his last couple years but Young's defense (or lack thereof) makes him less valuable than those guys. For him to be an upgrade we would probably need 2011 or earlier Michael Young, which would involve a time machine.

which would just require a delorean