• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: M's Homestand: April 26th - May 1st

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was wondering just how much shit were we supposed to talk before it worked. Turns out THAT much. :becky:

I would like to believe the Ms coaches were like, "Would you guys seriously fuckin' do something?" but they probably just started yelling at their pitchers that they need to be more productive. :noidea:

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
89mph belt high right down the middle. It can only go 1 way with that pitch.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great. Their starter tomorrow has a .72 ERA and we have Castillo going on the bump.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 of our worst hitters batting 3 and 4, and they walk it off in the 9th. Because of course.

Incredible...

Go Mariners!

You know everyone on the team is looking like this when Minter walks into the Braves clubhouse...

tumblr_inline_ntqcxuHfKU1qafrh6_500.gif

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's been a historic stretch of amazing starting pitching. How many games is that in the last ten or eleven that they've given up two runs or less? Can't expect that to last forever. Will be well below 500 before long with this loser offense.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great the M's pulled this one out of their ass. They should have won this game. This offense is still putrid.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man my thought process is way different than everyone else's. I am glad we just got the win because in my eyes even if our offense was hitting the ball and won the game 8-1 does that make any difference? I know the philosophy of keeping the game close with pitching and having a lineup that isn't easy to strikeout that puts the ball in play isnt sexy and can at times frustrates us fans but at the end of the day if we win a game 2-1 or 1-0 or 3-2 I will take it.

I remember the Rays were winning a ton of games I believe 2021 where they had like only 2 guys that hit above .260

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man my thought process is way different than everyone else's. I am glad we just got the win because in my eyes even if our offense was hitting the ball and won the game 8-1 does that make any difference? I know the philosophy of keeping the game close with pitching and having a lineup that isn't easy to strikeout that puts the ball in play isnt sexy and can at times frustrates us fans but at the end of the day if we win a game 2-1 or 1-0 or 3-2 I will take it.

I remember the Rays were winning a ton of games I believe 2021 where they had like only 2 guys that hit above .260
No. Winning 8-1 is the same as winning 2-1.

Being dead last in many offensive stats doesn't mean they automatically can't make the post season and I doubt anyone is saying that.

It's just frustration over the continued year after year same issues. They aren't seeing many fast balls because as a team they can't hit breaking balls and lead the league in striking out on them. And they do not appear to be addressing it. They don't go after the big bats and do not appear to be coaching their way out of this.

For those old enough to remember, what would Lou have done with a lineup that collectively cannot handle breaking pitches?

I don't get how any fan can see the 40+ years of fan frustration and not understand how many need to see change to be as optimistic as they are.

Be as up and excited as you can. I envy it, but I cannot share it. Too many years of the same thing producing the same shortfall results to blindly give the benefit of the doubt that this year it will be magically different somehow.

But I of course hope it does end up different somehow. I want another 2001 type of summer or a squeak your way into the WS lucky break. Badly.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I apologize for being negative after a feel good win. The bottom line is our starting pitching and pen are pretty incredible and I think they'll continue to be, but I think they're probably over-achieving right now. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see it continue at this level to overcome pure dogshit hitting to get W's, but we're talking about history-making achievement if they can keep doing this.

On the other hand, I don't think the lineup is underachieving very much. I think this is what we can expect for most of the season from most of these hitters. Hope 5-6 of them heat up at hopefully the same time, but I just don't see it happening.

I know that bobblehead Mariners "believers" don't want to hear it and will keep talking vapidly about weird, meaningless shit like hard hit balls evening out with actual hits over the course of the season and blah blah blah, but come on. At some point you just have to go with what you see. We had M's "fans" on social media with thousands of followers still thinking Wong was going to somehow transform into a competent hitter right up until he was DFA'd. The same is happening with Polanco right now. Just like Wong, you know Polanco wants it. He has a $12.5 million team option for 2025 on the line. He just fucking sucks.

I did like Garver's reaction last night.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WTB hitting coach. Must have experience teaching how to hit breaking balls to force pitchers into throwing more fastballs. Inquire in person at T-Mobile park.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
M's have allowed the least number of runs in the majors at 95.

There are only 4 teams that have scored less runs than the M's.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

When your offense is so anemic like the Mariners is and you consistently find yourself trailing 1-0 or 2-1 late in games you're gonna end up winning a few of them. The problem is how often they find themselves in that position in the first place.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
M's have allowed the least number of runs in the majors at 95.

There are only 4 teams that have scored less runs than the M's.

That's just it. I'm not even asking for a top 10 offense, just middle of the road.

Give this rotation the #18 offense in MLB and this is a playoff team easy.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carver’s HR needs to become a popular gif. Anytime someone is trying to say about time or something that should be shown.

And I will admit I was massively wrong and apologize to Jerry. I wanted Rojas and Urias moved to second to clear out a spot for Young in August but he was right in having Polanco at 2B so Young can get fast tracked to the bigs there.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the worst hitting teams + One of the best's rotation = First in the ALW...Go figure

kcden

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,680.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The braves have no players in the lineup today hitting under .210.

The M's have 4 hitting under .200 and haggerty that has no ABs yet on the season.

Oh, and the Ms lead MLB in team strikeouts again. They have 288 over 28 games. They are the only team averaging more than 10 strikeouts per game.

I wish we had real baseball in Seattle...
Reading back from yesterday... I'm, honestly, shocked that we only have (4) players in any given lineup of ours hitting under .200. If you had asked me to guess and lay a bet, I would have said at least (6).

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I apologize for being negative after a feel good win. The bottom line is our starting pitching and pen are pretty incredible and I think they'll continue to be, but I think they're probably over-achieving right now. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see it continue at this level to overcome pure dogshit hitting to get W's, but we're talking about history-making achievement if they can keep doing this.

On the other hand, I don't think the lineup is underachieving very much. I think this is what we can expect for most of the season from most of these hitters. Hope 5-6 of them heat up at hopefully the same time, but I just don't see it happening.

I know that bobblehead Mariners "believers" don't want to hear it and will keep talking vapidly about weird, meaningless shit like hard hit balls evening out with actual hits over the course of the season and blah blah blah, but come on. At some point you just have to go with what you see. We had M's "fans" on social media with thousands of followers still thinking Wong was going to somehow transform into a competent hitter right up until he was DFA'd. The same is happening with Polanco right now. Just like Wong, you know Polanco wants it. He has a $12.5 million team option for 2025 on the line. He just fucking sucks.

I did like Garver's reaction last night.
The Polanco acquisition was a mistake. We all knew it when it happened. He won't work out. But they will ride him another couple months before they give up.
Haniger's career year is in the rearview mirror. The most we can hope from him, IF he stays healthy all year, is 25 HR/75 RBI
JRod is ridiculously over-aggressive right now. If and when this stops is anyone's guess, but his current approach is not working. I mean, he can probably hit .270 with his current approach but that is because he swings so hard that he is muscleing ground balls pass the middle infielders which inflates his BABIP. But it won't produce power and RBI.
Garver is with a new team, new role as a full time DH, and new pressure of a 'somewhat' big contract. He'll hit eventually. He always has when injury hasn't held him back.
Raley is just a fucking joke mirage. He hasn't done shit since July first of last year. 220 ABs, 78 strikeouts, .214 BA, 6 HR, 21 RBI. After a hot start last year, MLB pitchers have found the hole in his swing and he has failed to make a counter adjustment.
Raleigh, Crawford, France - expect about the same production overall as last year. Maybe not quite as much from Crawford, maybe a little more from France.
Rojas - the wild card. Based on his history, I don't see how he can sustain what he has been doing. But, who knows.
Urias - see Polanco
Clase - don't know why they sent him down. They will ultimately DFA Raley anyway so why not give the kid playing time now.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
.167 hitting 3rd in the lineup.

That's normal right?