• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: M's At Red Sox

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yawn.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hate to remind you all, but King Felix has a career 3.61 ERA in Sept/Oct. September is in 8 days. Looks like he has started his late season swoon early this year. Love the guy, but has always been an earlier year pitcher vs a late year pitcher so who knows what he would have left for a playoff run anyways.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow game of the year. Incredible. Not worried about Felix yet but another bad start would caution me a bit

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ha, I deserved that. I turned it off and deleted the recording. They play better when I give up on them...so they should be good to go the rest of the way.

Felix is tiring though, but have to get through it. Love to add a SP before end of month.

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy shit, they won? I gave up in the 9th...lol

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I turned off the game in disgust after the HR. What a win!

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I admit I tuned out the game as well after the HR to watch the Seahawks.... Thank goodness I flipped back in time to watch that amazing 9th inning. No doubt game of the year and could potentially be a huge turning point the rest of the way trying to build momentum. It was also sweet to see the tigers get crushed

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I admit I tuned out the game as well after the HR to watch the Seahawks.... Thank goodness I flipped back in time to watch that amazing 9th inning. No doubt game of the year and could potentially be a huge turning point the rest of the way trying to build momentum. It was also sweet to see the tigers get crushed

I unfortunately didn't turn back. I'll watch the re- broadcast.

how far did Cespedes hit that ball? One of the longest home runs I've ever seen. I remember seeing Manny Ramirez hit a hr in the kingdome that I swear was still rising as it hit the 2nd level

Last edited by a moderator:

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ha, I deserved that. I turned it off and deleted the recording. They play better when I give up on them...so they should be good to go the rest of the way.

Felix is tiring though, but have to get through it. Love to add a SP before end of month.

Every year Felix pitches like crud towards the end of the year. Although I wonder if the Mariners being in the playoff picture helps to motivate him? I am always nervous about him going into the end of the season.

DunceKaep

Trolling 45, it's EASY.
Hoopla Cash
$ 663.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Left for a benefit concert at 0-3 M's. Walked out of a great concert and turned on the Seahawks even though I had it recorded. Could not resist, they said the score was 34-0. WOW. Then I turned to my wife and said, IF only the M's could come back from that 3-0 deficit. Got home, first post on Facebook a friend states, "wow, what a comeback"

Now I'm watching both replays, plus the great concert, PRETTY good night for me.

Cheers fellow fans, let's enjoy the run.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hate to remind you all, but King Felix has a career 3.61 ERA in Sept/Oct. September is in 8 days. Looks like he has started his late season swoon early this year. Love the guy, but has always been an earlier year pitcher vs a late year pitcher so who knows what he would have left for a playoff run anyways.

He's pitching more change ups than ever this year, and it's filthy.

Easier on the arm, so maybe he'll break the habit of tiring out late in the season the past few season. Having a seemingly decent offense behind him should energize him.

Sorry again for being such a turd a few weeks ago. Take care.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boston is one of those teams that is notorious for fouling pitches off and making pitchers throw more pitches than they want to throw in fewer innings than they'd like to throw them. Why do you think they average probably the longest games of the year every season? Felix made one mistake and Cespedes hit it across the street. It's not like he'd been playing with fire all night and finally got burned.

I also don't think that this is necessarily a sign that he's suddenly going to go into a 5 week-long slump. His ERA for the month is still 1.80 even after this game, so it would take an awful lot for it to balloon to the level of last year and the year before. I just don't see it happening. Of course, when your season-long ERA is just over 2.00 and you recently had a streak of 17 straight starts of 7+ innings allowing 2 runs or less, allowing three runs in one game is going to look bad by comparison. He's been good going into August and September the last couple of years, but not this good. He's still only had one start all season where he allowed more than 3 runs. He also obviously still suffers from having starts that are really good, but maybe not up to his standards, with little-to-no run support to back him up, that make any mistake he makes look bigger than they would be if he had that support. If the M's had been able to take advantage of their earlier opportunities with runners in scoring position, would the homer to Cespedes be as big a deal as it was? I doubt it.

Anyway... great comeback by the M's, although I wish they'd have done it sooner than 2 outs in the 9th inning. You take any kind of win you can get, especially when you're in a playoff race and you're facing a team that hasn't realistically been in it for months. That's why the Philly series was so frustrating. They left a couple wins on the table there when they couldn't take advantage of some opportunities to score (of course, the poor umpiring at times didn't help). Hopefully this win will be a springboard for success the rest of the season, but I don't think it is any more telling about how the rest of the season will go than the losses in the Philly series were.

Last edited by a moderator:

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boston is one of those teams that is notorious for fouling pitches off and making pitchers throw more pitches than they want to throw in fewer innings than they'd like to throw them. Why do you think they average probably the longest games of the year every season? Felix made one mistake and Cespedes hit it across the street. It's not like he'd been playing with fire all night and finally got burned.

I also don't think that this is necessarily a sign that he's suddenly going to go into a 5 week-long slump. His ERA for the month is still 1.80 even after this game, so it would take an awful lot for it to balloon to the level of last year and the year before. I just don't see it happening. Of course, when your season-long ERA is just over 2.00 and you recently had a streak of 17 straight starts of 7+ innings allowing 2 runs or less, allowing three runs in one game is going to look bad by comparison. He's been good going into August and September the last couple of years, but not this good. He's still only had one start all season where he allowed more than 3 runs. He also obviously still suffers from having starts that are really good, but maybe not up to his standards, with little-to-no run support to back him up, that make any mistake he makes look bigger than they would be if he had that support. If the M's had been able to take advantage of their earlier opportunities with runners in scoring position, would the homer to Cespedes be as big a deal as it was? I doubt it.

Anyway... great comeback by the M's, although I wish they'd have done it sooner than 2 outs in the 9th inning. You take any kind of win you can get, especially when you're in a playoff race and you're facing a team that hasn't realistically been in it for months. That's why the Philly series was so frustrating. They left a couple wins on the table there when they couldn't take advantage of some opportunities to score (of course, the poor umpiring at times didn't help). Hopefully this win will be a springboard for success the rest of the season, but I don't think it is any more telling about how the rest of the season will go than the losses in the Philly series were.

I don't disagree with much of anything you're saying.

The Sox are one of the teams I least want to face. They're sub .500, but in that litterbox of a park, it's scary to play them, especially with Cesspooldes in the lineup. If the M's win this series, I"ll be happy.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Went to work, saw the HR and the tvs turned to the Hawks soon after. Just assumed we lost.

I left there about halftime of the Hawks game and tuned to 770 for a bit of the postgame for the M's on the way home and just heard "Ugly box score for the Tigers there, but we had a pretty one, at least one good inning for Endy Chavez, as the M's score 5 in the 5th and win 5-3!" I was stopped at a red light and just clapped my hands with a look of amazement. Love to hear that kind of fight from this team.

Watching the highlights, my favorite play was easily Cano's single to score Ackley. The way our 3B coach knew Nava was at 1st for most of the game and not in RF, plus Ackley busting it around 2nd, then 3rd without stopping even after the right fielder, Nava, had the ball was just a piece of poetry. It was like watching an old school highlight out of the 50's. You know what you're watching shouldn't work, but it does because of a couple very small details. When those things go your way it puts a big smile across your face as you watch.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After this game though, this offense really needs to get clicking again against these no-name pitchers the Sox are running out. I said before last night's game that I would be disappointed if we didn't sweep the Sox. Before I knew the outcome I felt disappointed. Here's hoping the next 2 are easier wins while the A's and Angels beat on each other.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't disagree with much of anything you're saying.

The Sox are one of the teams I least want to face. They're sub .500, but in that litterbox of a park, it's scary to play them, especially with Cesspooldes in the lineup. If the M's win this series, I"ll be happy.

Cespedes seems like one of those guys that's a Mariners killer. Without looking at stats it seems like rarely agood series went by without him homering at least once

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After rewatching the 9th the 10 pitch walk by Endy stood out as the ab of the game for me. Abs like that are game changers and it seemed to swing the momentum