• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Montero sent down

blade

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The infamous Jesus Sucre is now with the big league club. Zunino remains the #1 catcher in Tacoma. Montero will DH.

So, there ya go. The GREAT CATCHING EXPERIMENT with Jesus Montero is officially over and I think you can say that the Jesus Montero as a Mariner era is dead too. I don't think we will see him in a Mariner uniform again unless there is an injury to Shoppach or Sucre.

Ackley should be extra nervous this morning, and Smoak should be looking over his shoulder too. I know that Smoak is hitting better of late, but the power that they need from him still isn't there.

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The infamous Jesus Sucre is now with the big league club. Zunino remains the #1 catcher in Tacoma. Montero will DH.

So, there ya go. The GREAT CATCHING EXPERIMENT with Jesus Montero is officially over and I think you can say that the Jesus Montero as a Mariner era is dead too. I don't think we will see him in a Mariner uniform again unless there is an injury to Shoppach or Sucre.

Ackley should be extra nervous this morning, and Smoak should be looking over his shoulder too. I know that Smoak is hitting better of late, but the power that they need from him still isn't there.

I don't think they will give up on Montero yet, but you're right... he is done as a catcher.

blade

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think they will give up on Montero yet, but you're right... he is done as a catcher.

It all depends on what happens at the trade deadline. If they decide to have a major (or mini) fire sale, Kendry Morales will be a heavily-pursued player. If he is traded, then Montero could return as a part time DH. But as long as Morales is on the team, Montero is behind him in the depth chart at DH. You can't really afford to carry a back-up DH on the 25-man roster when Jason Bay or Raul Ibanez could do the job as well, if not better.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a move that should have been made last year when we had Jaso and Olivo for catching depth at the major league level. I am guessing this is a painful move for Z as he is somewhat admiting failure in himself to evaluate talent.

Its pretty sad that Pineda hasnt even thrown a pitch for the Yankees yet you still cannot determine who won the trade.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its pretty sad that Pineda hasnt even thrown a pitch for the Yankees yet you still cannot determine who won the trade.

This is a sad sad statement that couldnt be more true

I dont think they have given up on Montero its just that he is just so expendable on this team, if you cant catch and there are like 3 players that are performing at DH better than you then it was an easy decision for miguel to be sent down. like someone said earlier come trade deadline if they trade kendry morales or someone wants raul ibanez and montero is showing signs of life dont be surprised if he gets sent back up and those other two players mentioned are traded.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe when he finally comes back up he can get a big boy number instead of some spring training number. He liked it because it brought it him good luck for the Yankees, well fuck there are barely any numbers left on the Yankees so if you get a hit with 101 it brings you "good luck"

octagondd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Montero down, Andino DFA and Truinfel and Sucre up. I guess it can't be worse, or maybe it can.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I wouldn't go as far as to say we won't see him with the Mariners ever again. I'd be surprised if that was the case. While he's down in AAA they might as well try to do something useful with him like try to teach him how to play first. My scouting ability when it comes to baseball players is limited to what I can see in the stats, but I hope there is something they can do to fix Montero. Probably wishful thinking.

Kind of pathetic that it's Sucre that takes his place. I like the move mostly because it holds him accountable at least.

As far as Smoak goes he's hitting better now than he ever has with the Mariners, his OBP is 2nd on the team and his BA is also as high as it has ever been in his career. I have more hope for Smoak now than I have since we traded for him, from what I could see he always had the raw strength but just needed to get on base more. Now hopefully he can put the two together.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I saw a report yesterday that said that the Yankees were willing to move on from him because he just wanted to be a full-time DH, and they were of the feeling he was too young to be just a DH. There have been times where he has shown that his fielding skills are similar to Mike Carp's, natural born DH and nothing is gonna change that. IDK what his future holds, but if it's true that all he wants to do is hit, then he better start showing he can hit in the majors.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw a report yesterday that said that the Yankees were willing to move on from him because he just wanted to be a full-time DH, and they were of the feeling he was too young to be just a DH. There have been times where he has shown that his fielding skills are similar to Mike Carp's, natural born DH and nothing is gonna change that. IDK what his future holds, but if it's true that all he wants to do is hit, then he better start showing he can hit in the majors.

Disagree with this statement. In my opinion Carp was more than adaquate 1B, and with as much work as he put in he proved to be a decent enough OF. I'd say his OF skills were above Ibanez in his prime, but that is just my opinion.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disagree with this statement. In my opinion Carp was more than adaquate 1B, and with as much work as he put in he proved to be a decent enough OF. I'd say his OF skills were above Ibanez in his prime, but that is just my opinion.

I was physically ill every time I saw Carp in the outfield. I could play LF better, and I haven't seen a baseball field as a player in 13 years. He seemed to have a difficult time even tracking the ball and made routine plays look difficult. I loved Carp's bat, but I prayed they wouldn't put him out in left field.

He was better at 1B, but that comment about natural born DH was actually out of an article from Baseball America after the 2011 season. That line has always stuck with about Carp, especially after he started playing in LF.