• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

MLB Draft Lottery to be held

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Major League Baseball to hold first Competitive Balance Lottery for extra Draft picks | MLB.com: News

An MLB Competitive Balance Draft Lottery is to be held for the bottom 12 teams in terms of revenue and/or market size. It will be held after the compensation round and the second round. Order is determined like the NBA, worst team based on last years record gets most combinations and so on. The order is determined today, that's why I'm bringing it up now.

An added aspect that they are "trying out" in this round is the ability to trade these picks, though only in season and they cannot be sold.

Competitive Balance Lottery to shake up Draft - SportsHoopla.com

Giantsmojo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is stupid that they give extra picks to teams, they get a competitive advantage by picking higher and getting top talent. What needs to be done is for MLB to make sure that teams that receive money from revenue sharing actually spend it on players and not in the pockets of the owners by installing a floor cap.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A few clarifications, or in some cases "re-statements" (based on reading the links provided, thx SFGrTB):

- The 10 smallest-market teams and the 10 lowest-revenue teams will have the chance to win one of six extra selections in the 2013 First-Year Player Draft (obviously, there's lots of cross-over - it won't be 20 teams)

- Those half-dozen picks will be made at the conclusion of the first round, following the compensation selections.

- there are 13 teams entered into the first-round lottery for 2013 draft : the D-backs, Orioles, Indians, Royals, A's, Pirates, Padres, Rays, Reds, Rockies, Marlins, Brewers and Cardinals.

- The odds of winning a Draft pick will be based on each team's winning percentage in the previous season.

- There will be a second group of six picks, to be made after the conclusion of the second round. The teams from the first group that did not get one of the early picks will be re-entered, along with any other Major League team that receives revenue sharing. (This year, just the Tigers)

- These extra draft picks can be traded, BUT only a team that wins a pick in the lottery can trade it (it can't be traded again). Draft picks cannot be sold for cash. Also, picks can be traded only during the regular season. This adds a new wrinkle to trade deadline deals - how many teams will ask for these new draft picks?

- Lastly, the new CBA has a new limit on the amount of money spent on the draft, and penalties if teams exceed it. Penalties are money, AND possible forfeiture of draft picks. There will be another draft lottery to hand out any draft picks forfeited due to this new rule. Any team that did not exceed its pool will be in that lottery. The odds are not based on winning percentage, but on a formula of revenue and winning percentage.

Last edited by a moderator:

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Results of MLB's first Competitive Balance Lottery announced | MLB.com: News

The results of the Competitive Balance Lottery are as follows:

ROUND A
(Following First Round)

1. Kansas City Royals
2. Pittsburgh Pirates
3. Arizona Diamondbacks
4. Baltimore Orioles
5. Cincinnati Reds
6. Miami Marlins

ROUND B
(Following Second Round)

1. San Diego Padres
2. Cleveland Indians
3. Colorado Rockies
4. Oakland Athletics
5. Milwaukee Brewers
6. Detroit Tigers

I haven't read anywhere : is each team limited to ONE extra draft pick? What if (for example) the team with the worst record (and thus the most chances to win a pick) were picked twice? Would they get two extra picks? Or does the mechanism exclude that?

Last edited by a moderator:

mistgl

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
1. Kansas City Royals
2. Pittsburgh Pirates
3. Arizona Diamondbacks
4. Baltimore Orioles
5. Cincinnati Reds
6. Miami Marlins

4 of those 6 teams are contending for at least the second WC... Seems unfair that they get an extra piece to sweeten the pot in a trade.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I *think* that that is exactly the goal : to give them an unfair advantage.

(So that they are more competitive, and draw more fans and sell more gear, and thus are more monetarily successful, and thus suck less money out of MLB's tit, i.e., "the competitive balance tax")

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will be interesting though to see how trading draft picks is handled. From what I've gathered, they are using this extra draft to test out the trading of picks and depending on the results/opinions of GM's, they may implement it on the entire draft.

mistgl

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I *think* that that is exactly the goal : to give them an unfair advantage.

(So that they are more competitive, and draw more fans and sell more gear, and thus are more monetarily successful, and thus suck less money out of MLB's tit, i.e., "the competitive balance tax")

I think it could be argued that Cincy, Miami, and the Dbacks don't need help being 'competitive'

Cincy has doled out close to 350 million in contracts this last year, the Marlins close to 200 million, with the Dbacks being the modest men of the bunch at 70 million.

Cincy and the Dbacks have been to the playoffs within the last three years, and even the Cardinals, last years WS champs, were in the lottery. Same goes for the Tigers. that formula for determining eligibility sounds whack.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it could be argued that Cincy, Miami, and the Dbacks don't need help being 'competitive'

Cincy has doled out close to 350 million in contracts this last year, the Marlins close to 200 million, with the Dbacks being the modest men of the bunch at 70 million.

Cincy and the Dbacks have been to the playoffs within the last three years, and even the Cardinals, last years WS champs, were in the lottery. Same goes for the Tigers. that formula for determining eligibility sounds whack.

I have not looked at the criteria for this, but I think there are two mutually exclusive criteria for inclusion, and a team only has to "hit" on one of them. One is fiscal, one is performance.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One is "fiscal" (lowest revenue) and one is, um, ... well, it's based on "lower market size" whatever the fuck that means.

mistgl

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
One is "fiscal" (lowest revenue) and one is, um, ... well, it's based on "lower market size" whatever the fuck that means.

Hence how good teams like the Rays, Red, Marlins, Diamondbacks, and Cardinals get in. And one could argue about the Pirates with their recent success.

That pick just seems like unfair trade leverage that these teams DON'T need. I call bull shit if the good small market teams get a free trade piece every year. I guarantee you those picks get traded more than they get used.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

pretty straightforward. Excludes NYY, BOS, PHI, NYM, LAA, LAD, CHC, CHW, SF, TEX to begin with.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
pretty straightforward. Excludes NYY, BOS, PHI, NYM, LAA, LAD, CHC, CHW, SF, TEX to begin with.

If it is market based, how can Oakland be eligible, but SF not? They share the same market. Just because the G's have more market-share should not count against them. They just played the area better...

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it is market based, how can Oakland be eligible, but SF not? They share the same market. Just because the G's have more market-share should not count against them. They just played the area better...

Exactly. Isn't the population higher in the east bay than the peninsula? I need a T-shirt : "WTF is market size"