• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

MLB American League Draft : CHAT

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is something to that, the more playing time you get for kids increases the pool that is available later, and in a camp like that it makes complete sense. In a league though I am all for playing the kids that earn it. Even back then I thought it was stupid I had to bat once, it hurt the team. Baseball was never one I was going to stick with though. Never had a ton of interest in it. I think if those taller kids really enjoyed the game they would have stuck with it. Most basketball comes in pick up games outside of a structured environment, so the argument does not make a lot of sense to me.

Some people just take to some sports. I was always going to play basketball, nothing was going to take it away. Even now where I have gone from Skinny to Obese I still play every Saturday(although I hover on the perimeter a lot more now). Basketball is something I will play until my body quits on me. I went through phases of no playing time, and plenty of playing time. Quitting never crossed my mind.

In that vein if I had shown an interest in baseball I would have kept playing and getting better no matter how much playing time I had. I think me being bad at baseball was kind of self fulfilling, apathy going into it lead to the results to never play.
I agree, to a point. I do think the best players should start, but I do believe all players should get to play, at least in league ball, during each game, or at least sit one, play one. Tournament ball made this easy, even during HS, I would start and play every kid an entire Saturday game then play to win Sunday

Last edited:

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, to a point. I do think the best players should start, but I do believe all players should get to play, at least in league ball, during each game, or at least sit one, play one. Tournament ball made this easy, even during HS, I would start and play every kid an entire Saturday game then play to win Sunday

The best part of the mandatory at bat is the coach forgot in the championship, so top of the 9th I had not had a bat yet so he HAD to let me bat. The panic in his eyes was hilarious. It actually ended up being my 2nd hit on the year! Worst player on the team was the go ahead run for the championship!

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@blstoker I was just messin about the you being a dick thing. I would imagine we wont have much drafting during the holiday weekend...

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The best part of the mandatory at bat is the coach forgot in the championship, so top of the 9th I had not had a bat yet so he HAD to let me bat. The panic in his eyes was hilarious. It actually ended up being my 2nd hit on the year! Worst player on the team was the go ahead run for the championship!
Haha, that's great. I gotta tell ya, a high school that pushes for equal playing time when kids are at the younger levels are normally gonna have the best programs.. reasons are multiple. One, until kids are in HS, they aren't all on the same playing field...meaning puberty. A lot of the kids who are strong in 12U aren't the best because of their skill level, they are the best because they hit puberty at 11, and they are 5'8", 160 and throw 70 playing kids that are 5'2, 120 and throw 60....problem is, of course, the kid that is 5'8" and 160 at 12 may be 5'8'' and 160 as a SR while the 5'2" kid is 6'5" as a SR. Then there is the daddy ball, the only care about winning a 10U game coach, the coach who won't vote the best kids all star because then his kid won't start if he does, the coach who was never a player but gets his rocks off playing Mike Ditka with little kids......to me, if a kids in league ball he should play, if you want to go all out at a younger age, play select ball, pick your coach and style, and get what you pay for. But I will tell you, it's been my experience, that the smaller kids, who have to work and practice harder to compete with kids who already have hair on their chests, usually pass the other boys up when things even out physically, because they never lose that work ethic, whereas the kid who played because he was bigger or because his daddy handed it to him never acquire the work habits they'll need going forward

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I don't play a kid in game, it's because the AD told me I couldn't.

Every kid, every game. Even if they suck as much as a high school kid with two working arms and two working legs can suck.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, now I gotta be a dick....if you "make kids cry every practice", then you should follow through on not coaching again. The job of a 6U coach is to teach and to make the game fun, not pretend you're Vince Lombardi. And if you have a child that plays, instead of admonishing the other team for chatter, you might teach him to ignore it....go to a high school or college game and sit close enough to hear the chatter the two teams give each other...it's relentless, but then again, it's a GAME

Ok, let me explain this one a little. I have a kid who any time you speak to him in anything other than "you're perfect" he cries. I don't mean yelling at him, anything sets it off, from "step with your other foot" when teaching him to throw to "it's not your time to bat, yet".

He's also the one who uses the bat as a weapon against other kids, smashes their heads into the dugout wall, throws them around like rag dolls and puts them in choke holds. He's a very difficult situation that I haven't yet found a way to properly handle.

As for being Lombardi. We're a non competitive coach pitch league. They don't get competitive until the next level up. My team is mostly made up of players who had never picked up a baseball before. Most of my coaching is nothing more than teaching fundamentals. I try hard to make it fun for everyone, and ensure that (at least at practice) there is always something they are doing other than just waiting for their turn to do a drill. 90% of my kids seem to really enjoy playing.

I couldn't be happier if by the end of the season each of our players learned something they didn't know when it began and they had fun. As far as the parents are concerned, I am doing a great job, I can't say I agree (but I've always overly critical of myself).

As for the situation last night, despite what the tone of my posts might say, I really don't think I handled it very well (to say the least). Last time I brought it up to the coach and let him handle it - which is exactly what I should have done this time, if I did anything.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will admit though, I may need help with this one, I feel it will be tough.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, let me explain this one a little. I have a kid who any time you speak to him in anything other than "you're perfect" he cries. I don't mean yelling at him, anything sets it off, from "step with your other foot" when teaching him to throw to "it's not your time to bat, yet".

He's also the one who uses the bat as a weapon against other kids, smashes their heads into the dugout wall, throws them around like rag dolls and puts them in choke holds. He's a very difficult situation that I haven't yet found a way to properly handle.

As for being Lombardi. We're a non competitive coach pitch league. They don't get competitive until the next level up. My team is mostly made up of players who had never picked up a baseball before. Most of my coaching is nothing more than teaching fundamentals. I try hard to make it fun for everyone, and ensure that (at least at practice) there is always something they are doing other than just waiting for their turn to do a drill. 90% of my kids seem to really enjoy playing.

I couldn't be happier if by the end of the season each of our players learned something they didn't know when it began and they had fun. As far as the parents are concerned, I am doing a great job, I can't say I agree (but I've always overly critical of myself).

As for the situation last night, despite what the tone of my posts might say, I really don't think I handled it very well (to say the least). Last time I brought it up to the coach and let him handle it - which is exactly what I should have done this time, if I did anything.
It sounds like you really care about the kids. If I might give you a suggestion on the boy that "used a bat as a weapon", etc.... When younger kids have acted like that with me, I make them leave the field and go sit with their parents, or sit in the dugout by themselves .If it's in practice, I typically do something really fun that they would want to participate in while they sit. Then make them run a triangle before they participate. Kids want discipline, they will come around

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did text Purguy to re-pick.

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, we getting more people for this er what?

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can we do 12 if we cant get 14?

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35