• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Minor league free agents

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I already said I don’t think he is deserving of an NRI at this point, but I believe he WILL be an NRI, and will be given a shot at it. I don’t see him beating out Beede, Blach AND Suarez, though.
He's more veteran than they are. They may see him as a placeholder, much like Russ Ortiz in his second tour of duty with the club.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's more veteran than they are. They may see him as a placeholder, much like Russ Ortiz in his second tour of duty with the club.
What I think, and what will happen are two entirely different animals...

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear Michael Morse is still available, too.

And Aubrey Huff will gladly trade his 1 HOF vote for another shot at playing with the Giants again.
His therapist may have something to say about that...

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blanco is back in the fold...

Giants To Sign Gregor Blanco To Minor-League Deal

I don’t expect him to make the team, barring injury. It would mean that either Parker or Gorkys would need to be DFA’d.
How serious are the Giants attempting to break camp with Blanco on the roster? His best days seem to be behind him but maybe he finds lightning in the bottle twice with the Giants. I just hope that he isn't the guy they decided to bring him when they started talking about Austin Jackson as a 4th outfielder. How Jackson/Blanco is an upgrade over Hernandez/Duggar or even Hernandez/Parker is beyond me.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear Michael Morse is still available, too.

And Aubrey Huff will gladly trade his 1 HOF vote for another shot at playing with the Giants again.

Bring me Big Time Timmy Jim!!

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How serious are the Giants attempting to break camp with Blanco on the roster? His best days seem to be behind him but maybe he finds lightning in the bottle twice with the Giants. I just hope that he isn't the guy they decided to bring him when they started talking about Austin Jackson as a 4th outfielder. How Jackson/Blanco is an upgrade over Hernandez/Duggar or even Hernandez/Parker is beyond me.
I doubt they expect anything from him. I think it is just about bring back a beloved former player on a flyer.

IMHO, best case is he goes to Sacto and works with Duggar. How else will Duggar learn to hit for power?

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if the Giants signed the wrong Blanco and just decided to go with it. Now they've signed Andres Blanco to a minor league deal. You know, the Giants need light hitting middle infielders like the Yankees need another outfielder. And really, why even bother trying to find a power bat on the minor league free agent market because those are so passe?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if the Giants signed the wrong Blanco and just decided to go with it. Now they've signed Andres Blanco to a minor league deal. You know, the Giants need light hitting middle infielders like the Yankees need another outfielder. And really, why even bother trying to find a power bat on the minor league free agent market because those are so passe?
I hear the Gs are about to sign Gregor Torres as well...

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

From the SF green sheet:

Andres Blanco, 33, signed for $1.1 million, and he can earn another $400,000 in incentives, according to Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports. He has an out in his deal if not on the big-league team by an undisclosed date.

Blanco, who like Gregor Blanco is from Venezuela, has played in 536 big-league games, with stints with the Phillies, Royals, Rangers and Cubs, and he has a .256 lifetime average and .310 on-base percentage; the switch hitter batted .192 with the Phillies last year.

What.The.$@$$!@$?

An older, middle infielder, with no pop, who hit .192 last year in a bandbox stadium, at $1.1 million?

:eek:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the SF green sheet:

Andres Blanco, 33, signed for $1.1 million, and he can earn another $400,000 in incentives, according to Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports. He has an out in his deal if not on the big-league team by an undisclosed date.

Blanco, who like Gregor Blanco is from Venezuela, has played in 536 big-league games, with stints with the Phillies, Royals, Rangers and Cubs, and he has a .256 lifetime average and .310 on-base percentage; the switch hitter batted .192 with the Phillies last year.

What.The.$@$$!@$?

An older, middle infielder, with no pop, who hit .192 last year in a bandbox stadium, at $1.1 million?

This one doesn’t make a lot of sense to me either. It seems to me that the FO (Boch?) just doesn’t like KT. I don’t know why. He seems to do well every time he gets pt. Granted, he is never going to be confused with a GG winner, but he isn’t Brooks Conrad either.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the SF green sheet:

What.The.$@$$!@$?

Yeah IDK this one is odd. It's a minor league deal, like Aaron Hill's from last year. But this is so obviously going to fail why bother? He has an opt-out that will allow him to go play overseas if he doesn't make the team. Must be a really good clubhouse guy.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the SF green sheet:

What.The.$@$$!@$?

This one doesn’t make a lot of sense to me either. It seems to me that the FO (Boch?) just doesn’t like KT. I don’t know why. He seems to do well every time he gets pt. Granted, he is never going to be confused with a GG winner, but he isn’t Brooks Conrad either.

Yeah IDK this one is odd. It's a minor league deal, like Aaron Hill's from last year. But this is so obviously going to fail why bother? He has an opt-out that will allow him to go play overseas if he doesn't make the team. Must be a really good clubhouse guy.
As what seems to be normal for the Giants, they approach spring training with a bunch of middle infielders. Consider the list of guys who are competing for a big league or AAA spot:
Andres Blanco, Orlando Calixte, Juan Ciriaco, Chase d'Arnaud, Miguel Gomez, Alen Hanson, CJ Hinojosa, Josh Rutledge, Kelby Tomlinson
Expand that list to AA and you've also got: Brandon Bednar, TJ Bennett, Ryan Howard, John Polonius, Myles Schroder
That is a lot of guys competing for approximately 6 to 8 spots.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't know if anyone else saw this, but the Brewers just DFA'd the Sac.

Bring him and Timmeh back!!

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to baseball-reference.com, Susac has an OPS+ last season of ... (drumroll please) ... -56 .