• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mike Smith Hotseat

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Slow day in the sports talk radio biz so the mid day crew turned their attention to the Falcons (camp starts Fri I think) and the topic was who replaces Mike Smith if he doesn't retain the job.

My 1st question...do you think coach should be on the hotseat?

2nd...who would you replace him with? (Mike Holmgren has put it out there officially that he wants to coach again)

Me thinks.

1. Yes, he should be on the hotseat, and anything short of the playoffs and a win would be enough to trigger it.

2. John Gruden...Matt Ryan, Julio, & Roddy (retain Nolan as DC) might be enough to entice him to return. I don't expect him to stay for 10 yrs, but he's shown he can turn around a team, and he's listened to pitches so he has a little interest in a coming back.

2nd choice would be the young HC out at Stanford, 3rd choice...I would give Holmgren a chance.

Demonjoe93

The Hawks make me emo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that he's on the hot seat. If we don't win a Playoff game this year, fire him. There's no excuse for a healthy Falcons team to not make it to the Playoffs and actually perform.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that he's on the hot seat. If we don't win a Playoff game this year, fire him. There's no excuse for a healthy Falcons team to not make it to the Playoffs and actually perform.

I think the stability he brought to the organization after that jackass Petrino is really why he's still here now...yeah he had some built in excuses with injury last season, but he needs to get it done this season or it appears that will be the end of the road...personally I think he will always struggle to beat Payton/Brees, but that's another topic.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our biggest weakness will always lay on the defensive side of the ball. The situation hasn't changed at all. We looked horrible against GB twice and the Giants in the playoffs. You have to be able to get to the quarterback to be able to lift a trophy.

I have faith in our offense, but even if we do make the playoffs I don't expect us to get very far.

Smith did a great job of turning the franchise around but I think Thomas Dimitroff played just as big of a role in the turnaround as Smith. I think it's fair to say Smith is on the hotseat after last season but at the same time I seriously doubt we'll be as bad as we were last year. The question is how bad does it have to be for him to get sent packing? 6 wins or less is probably the magic number.

Demonjoe93

The Hawks make me emo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our biggest weakness will always lay on the defensive side of the ball. The situation hasn't changed at all. We looked horrible against GB twice and the Giants in the playoffs. You have to be able to get to the quarterback to be able to lift a trophy.

I have faith in our offense, but even if we do make the playoffs I don't expect us to get very far.

Smith did a great job of turning the franchise around but I think Thomas Dimitroff played just as big of a role in the turnaround as Smith. I think it's fair to say Smith is on the hotseat after last season but at the same time I seriously doubt we'll be as bad as we were last year. The question is how bad does it have to be for him to get sent packing? 6 wins or less is probably the magic number.

I think anything less than nine wins would be grounds to fire him, unless we win less than that because we go through a similar injury situation to last year. But the odds of THAT crap happening again are pretty low.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The best pieces are on the OFC, but I still have a hard time getting over 2 points in NY...right now I'm not sold that Sjax is the answer @ RB and I still wonder where the 100+ targets to the middle of the field (Tony G.) are going to go...what I do believe is Matt will get better protection...he's got 2 pro bowl caliber WRs and a solid one in Douglas so in between the 20s I think the OFC will be fine...scoring TDs I dk yet.

If Ryan plays the majority (14+) of the games...I think he needs a winning season to stay. I don't think 8-8 will get it.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The best pieces are on the OFC, but I still have a hard time getting over 2 points in NY...right now I'm not sold that Sjax is the answer @ RB and I still wonder where the 100+ targets to the middle of the field (Tony G.) are going to go...what I do believe is Matt will get better protection...he's got 2 pro bowl caliber WRs and a solid one in Douglas so in between the 20s I think the OFC will be fine...scoring TDs I dk yet.

If Ryan plays the majority (14+) of the games...I think he needs a winning season to stay. I don't think 8-8 will get it.

Same here, especially after seeing he is already having hamstring issues. I have a feeling we're going to give more looks at the slot receiver but a lot of throws were also due to a lack of a running game. I hope we can finally get a running threat going whether it's SJax or Freeman.

If injuries are an issue again, do you think he gets another shot next year?