• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Midseason extensions?

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per overthecap, the Chiefs have roughly 10.2M in cap space for this season still; the Chiefs also have 35.1M for 2016, and 53M for 2017. The Chiefs extended Allen Bailey during the season last year, and with the performance of Jaye Howard and Stephenson through two weeks, it makes for some interesting conversation. Jeff Allen, Eric Berry, Sean Smith, and Dontari Poe are also pending FA's.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So There is A Moose at 3rd if you were GM for this season and next what would you do?

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So There is A Moose at 3rd if you were GM for this season and next what would you do?

Besides the obvious answer of scouting, I'd probably continue to monitor the team and see if there's anyone worth giving a midseason extension to for this season. I'd wait until week 9 or so to take any aggressive midseason extension too seriously, anything else and you err from very aggressive into outright reckless. I don't expect to keep everyone- I am firmly in the camp that Sean Smith is a niche player for example.

As of right now, I am probably looking at this for draft needs in no particular order:

CB: May as well be listed every year. It doesn't take all that much for a 4th or even 5th CB to see the field in a passing league, so I pretty much refuse to not let this be a need. If there's one position a GM can justifiably just keep collecting talent, it's CB. Hopefully Nelson picks it up- seeing Gaines bumped to slot for Fleming, who could very easily be the last guy on the depth chart by season's end, pretty much says we currently only have 1 guy capable of competent nickel play. We'll see though.

WR: Depth is an issue, still being patient on development of others

OL: Attrition and/or lack of development from someone is likely. Good position to keep investing mid tier picks in.

QB: 3rd or 4th year is a good time to see if you can find another QB to groom. If Aaron Murray works out, cool, but I don't see him as really being better than average, and we already have average play, so what's the point?

ILB: Derrick Johnson is getting up there in age and is a FA this offseason. As much as I love the stuff I am hearing/seeing from a Justin March and Ramik Wilson, I would like to see a draft pick or two put in there.

Last edited:

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
of the players mentioned? if it were me i'd look to keep Howard, Stephenson, Berry, and Poe. that's just me, though...
That's probably where I am at. If Poe asks for top DT money instead of just merely groundbreaking NT money, I might have to pause for a moment on that. It'd be an interesting scenario. Hopefully Berry keeps progressing, he has been decent, just not what we're used to seeing from him out there. Ditto with Poe with his back; just can't leverage himself so far. May have been better to just sit the guy with how Howard has looked out there. I think Howard had a PFF grade of around 5.6 on Thursday at "NT." The extra 15-20 pounds he put on looks great so far. I am still in the Sean Smith is a niche player camp; I don't feel comfortable paying longterm money for a guy of Sean's talents past 30.

As for Stephenson? His play has been so inconsistent and intermittent since being drafted I'd probably wait quite a while; we have seen very good 2 game samples from him before. His pass blocking looks decent to me, meh run blocking through two weeks. We can live with that given Jamaal is the RB.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yikes, would've been really nice to have gotten an extension done last offseason in hindsight with Jaye Howard. Some others like Stephenson, predictably, cratered. Jeff Allen did pretty well wherever they put him and should be paid by someone.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still surprised nobody really bought in on Jaye Howard. Pretty darn good value for a 3-4 DE considering the year he is coming off of. Pretty Pretty pleased to be able to swap Jeff Allen for Mitch Schwartz as well.