• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Messi

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Guy has scored in 17 STRAIGHT LEAGUE MATCHES. Basically an incomprehensible run. I bet there are only about a dozen other guys in Europe's top leagues that score that many in a season. And consider that he's not even playing all minutes because of Champions League obligations.......today he just did it in a 20 minute substitute appearance.

He is making Jerry Rice's dominance of the NFL record books look like nothing in comparison. Tossing all precedents out the window.....even CR's production isn't close right now.

Last edited by a moderator:

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
So far this season in La Liga: 39 goals and 9 assists in 26 matches.

I suppose the only thing you can compare it to is Gretzky's absurd numbers in mid-80s. Messi is a lot like Gretzky in a lot of ways, really. Gretzky was more of an assist guy than scorer - though was an all-time great scorer as well - but that's more due to the differences between the sports and the qualities of their respective teammates. Messi's best teammates are passers, Gretzky's best teammates were scorers.

olympicoscar

Life is what you've made of it.
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no question that Messi is making a run for the greatest of all time. It's starting to come down to Pele and him.

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So far this season in La Liga: 39 goals and 9 assists in 26 matches.

I suppose the only thing you can compare it to is Gretzky's absurd numbers in mid-80s. Messi is a lot like Gretzky in a lot of ways, really. Gretzky was more of an assist guy than scorer - though was an all-time great scorer as well - but that's more due to the differences between the sports and the qualities of their respective teammates. Messi's best teammates are passers, Gretzky's best teammates were scorers.

Well said Space, is always my friend...

We are witnessing one of the greatest runs by an athlete of all time in any sport, and if Barca were to win another UEFA CL title, perhaps the greatest run by any professional franchise in sports - UEFA titles in 2006, 2009, and 2011 and possibly 2013. If you look at what they had to overcome today, it's eerily similar to what the SF Giants did twice (against the Reds followed by the Cardinals), and the Ravens run to success.

Some folks were questioning Barca's run and asking if they were at the end of their run and down 2 - 0 on the return leg home is no easy task. This was their wake up call and they used it to their advantage. Granted, they've had their fair share of problems with RM but if Barca were to play them again, I would give them the advantage just due to tactics and the fact that Barca is getting everyone back again including Coach Villanova.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

handicappers

FAT STACKS BITCHES
Hoopla Cash
$ 196,499.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Messi really needs to win some hardware with Argentina to ever surpass Pele in GOAT talk.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Messi really needs to win some hardware with Argentina to ever surpass Pele in GOAT talk.

Not sure I see Argentina ever having a team to win the WC during his career. Copa America? Maybe, but that might be it.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure I see Argentina ever having a team to win the WC during his career. Copa America? Maybe, but that might be it.

They should have won the WC 2014. First thing is Di Maria decided to be a bitch and listen to his Real Madrid coach who told him to sit out......only to get sold to Man U a few weeks later.

StuUKWI

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've always said Maradona was the best of all time but Messi's stats eclipse anything that he or Pele ever managed.

Problem is it's so hard to compare. Neither Pele or Maradona or any of the other greats from years gone by got to play on such a fantastic team as this current Barcelona style. Would Messi score as many goals if he played for Maradona's Napoli or Pele's Santos teams?

StuUKWI

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's what I always thought too but really that's not fair. The World Cup was the pinnacle of the sport back then but nowadays the greatest level of competition is the Champions League, a competition Messi has dominated.