• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mays trade talks with CHI dead

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Taylor Mays - DB - 49ers

Multiple sources tell ESPN Chicago that the 49ers' trade talks with the Bears involving S Taylor Mays are now a "dead issue."
The Bears would've moved Mays to outside linebacker and let him compete on special teams, but ultimately "backed off" with little time for a position switch left before the season. Perhaps they'll revisit the idea closer to the October trade deadline. Mays' price tag will have gone down by then, considering he won't be playing any defensive snaps in San Francisco.
Related: Bears
Source: ESPN Chicago
Aug 19, 1:18 PM

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It says the Bears were going to switch him to a Linebacker, while immediately contributing on Special Teams. I wonder why Fangio won't even consider moving him to the LB position?

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our scheme calls for different kinds of LBs for one.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
To make that change he'll need to add weight. The Bears would use him on special teams exclusively and give him a whole year to transform.

I don't really have an issue with him in an OLB role, but I wouldn't really want him at ILB in our 3rd down nickel because I don't like the way he reads and reacts. He might be a decent 1st and 2nd down OLB who could cover RB's and TE's. His pass rush technique is probably very limited.

I actually liked the idea of using him in a 3-3-5 on third downs, especially against teams with good TE's. With his work ethic some team should be able to find a role for him.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3-3-5 man.... I think he'll be great in that... obviously it won't be our base formation but a formation we can utilize our apparent strength in our Safeties....

Try Mays out on the blitz and see if he can create some havoc gunning at the QB... if Harper can, Mays should do it even if the OL picks him up

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The funny thing is I read we're pegging Whitner a third down LB role in the nickel, but not Mays.

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Report: Bears may have made an offer for Taylor Mays
Posted by Mike Florio on August 19, 2011, 5:12 AM EDT
106062569_crop_650x440 Getty Images

The San Francisco 49ers recently sent an e-mail to all other teams offering second-year safety Taylor Mays in trade.

Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com writes that there’s talk within the locker room that the Bears made an offer for Mays — and that the 49ers rejected it.

Per Maiocco, Mays declined comment, and the 49ers denied that the Bears made an offer.

If an offer was made by the Bears, the 49ers naturally would have been leery. In 2008, the Bears charged the 49ers with tampering in connection with failed trade talks for linebacker Lance Briggs. The 49ers eventually lost a fifth-round pick, and they were required to flip-flop third-round picks with the Bears because the league concluded that the 49ers approached Briggs’ agent regarding a contract extension at the time the trade talks were occurring.

Then there’s the fact that the brother of 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh is the head coach of the Ravens, and that John Harbaugh and other members of the Ravens organization believe that the Bears should have sent a fourth-round pick to the Ravens after a failed effort to swap first-round picks during the 2011 draft.

“They agreed to [trade] a pick,” John Harbaugh said last month during an appearance on ESPN Chicago’s Waddle & Silvy Show. “They got their guy [Gabe Carimi] on the phone. They recognized he wasn’t getting calls from the team behind them. And then they basically stalled for over a minute, telling us that they had called the trade in. So that was just not honest.

“That’s not OK. It’s not ethical, it’s not right. I personally agree with our owner [Steve Bisciotti] that they should have been held accountable for it. We basically took them at their word, and obviously that was a mistake.”

And so the Ravens likely wouldn’t be inclined to do business with the Bears in the immediate future — and John Harbaugh’s brother, Jim, likely wouldn’t be inclined to do business with the Bears, either. Along with the rest of the 49ers organization.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ha, I wouldn't be surprised if Chicago is trying to pursue tampering chargers against the 49ers again for declining their offer to trade Mays.

I still can't believe they got away with fleecing the 49ers out of those draft picks, when the 49ers were in discussions with the Bears for Briggs. That is one unethical front office, especially with how they screwed the Ravens over too.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It says the Bears were going to switch him to a Linebacker, while immediately contributing on Special Teams. I wonder why Fangio won't even consider moving him to the LB position?

Which one of the LB spots do you think he fits in the 3-4?

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think at this point cover two olb would be ideal for Mays. For his sake I hope it happens soon giving him a year for the position change. If they cared about the kid they would start running him at scout team LB

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which one of the LB spots do you think he fits in the 3-4?

It wasn't so much as I thought he fit a certain spot in the linebacking core, but it seems his value at Safety is so diminished it would be the only way to have him retain any value. Admittedly, I don't know the specifics of the defensive scheme we run, but from my eyes it makes sense to explore all options before giving up on our 2nd round pick from a year ago.

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It wasn't so much as I thought he fit a certain spot in the linebacking core, but it seems his value at Safety is so diminished it would be the only way to have him retain any value. Admittedly, I don't know the specifics of the defensive scheme we run, but from my eyes it makes sense to explore all options before giving up on our 2nd round pick from a year ago.

What value would he have being a project for the Niners? As a team, the Niners are not even close to being complete nor having an identity. They cannot afford to spend a roster spot on someone they think do not fit their schemes. They do not have that kind of luxury to focus resources that could be used in more pressing need.

Also, before you compare Miller and Jones being experimented on in both offense and defense, the difference is versatilty. The Niners identified that early on and saw the versatility of both those players.