• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mariners looking to add Pitcher, but....

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read today where Braves are sending Wood down so he can get stretched out to start again. Wishful thinking, but it would be nice if he is doing it to be traded to M's.

johnfree63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read today where Braves are sending Wood down so he can get stretched out to start again. Wishful thinking, but it would be nice if he is doing it to be traded to M's.

At this point Wood is out of the M's reach. He's had success in the Majors, none of the M's prospects have.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something just mentioned on mlb Now, what about Bronson Arroyo? He'd be a great #5 and probably wouldn't be too expensive. I could be wrong and his value could rise closer to the deadline, but he's a solid guy to fill a hole if need be

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
even the talking heads on espn radio are baffled by z's apparent priorities.

it's like a fucking beckett play.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im talking about the league as a whole, its just easier to acquire a hitter than it is a good pitcher. I honestly believe the reason why cruz didnt sign with us is because were not a good team and we were going to end up in last place again. Looking at the Giants their clean up hitter Pablo Sandoval in his best year couldnt pull in 100 RBIs and their second best power hitter (which kills me to say this) is michael morse they really dont have a stacked lineup, Hunter pence and angel pagan both free agents and are key players in the lineup.

believe me im the first one in pain whenever i see adam jones bat but baltimore will never win with that god awful starting rotation they cant hide behind chris davis, markakis, cruz home runs for long.

I agree could use another starter but their first priority needs to be a bat. The Mariners are the last team in the majors that should ever trade a hitting prospect for a pitcher. They have found pitchers off the scrap heap they haven't found any hitters off the scrap heap. They need hitters to build the organization into a winner, not just go all in for one year then be back to square one.

It's all a moot point because Jack has a horrible track record in trades. Trading any young hitting prospect for a rent a pitcher should lead to Jack being fired then allowing fans to scalp him.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mariners in on Samardzija, Hammel; but doesn't Seattle need bats?

Interesting. I guess a two year offer and a 1 year 5 million dollar offer was made to Morales by the Ms before he signed with the Twins

Sure they need at bat first. Who do you recommend that is available? There are only 8-10 true sellers right now so this is definitely a seller's market. And the Mariners, pinching pennies as they are inclined to do, are not going to outbid anyone. So, I expect no moves for a bat. But I can see them unloading a Romero/Franllin package ffor a veteran starting pitcher.

The fact that they are even looking at starting pitchers gives me the impression that they want Paxson and Walker to stay at AAA until September.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mariners in on Samardzija, Hammel; but doesn't Seattle need bats?

Interesting. I guess a two year offer and a 1 year 5 million dollar offer was made to Morales by the Ms before he signed with the Twins

yeah, i read that, too

the stats for this team are really wonky

i feel like this team has equal chances of heating up more and more and going on winning streaks as it does to get icy and go on a 10 game losing streak

just very hard to gauge. unprecedented, really.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a feeling Jeff Samardzija is going to cost the Mariners more than he is worth. Samardzija is having a top of the rotation type year, but in his 61 starts from 2012-2013 he was rocking a 4.10 ERA, which is considerably average. It would appear that the Cubs will command a return from the Mariners worthy of a #1-#2 starter, which I'm not yet convinced Samardzija is. I'd stay away from him.

Personally I would take a look at what the Phillies have. Just about everyone on their roster will probably be available. Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels are both interesting options. The biggest problem with those two is that they are both out of the Mariners price range. Lee had a lot of success with the Mariners in his brief time here, he has a career 2.85 ERA in Safeco.

I'd prefer to go for hitters, but if the Mariners are seriously looking for pitching, Lee and Hamels are also options worth looking at.