• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Man's Best Friend...A Good Mechanic

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After a day at the dealer to determine why my CES light was on...my Infiniti G37 had a passenger side catalytic converter the emission computer did not like...after losing a 2 week long battle with Infiniti/Nissan over warranty coverage for this part. Replacing this part was now going to be on me.

The Infiniti dealer wanted $1500+...$800 part. The Nissan dealer 10 mins from my OFC wanted $1240...$700 part.

You get a $140 credit when you return the current core unit.

The estimated labor time the dealers gave was is 2-4 yrs, they put 3.5 hrs in the estimate.

A co-worker said he had a good mechanic and if you buy the parts he charges labor...he said it's not a dealer type location...of the beaten path, no waiting room, etc.

the OEM converter was $200 more than the aftermarket, but warranty was 5 yr vs 1yr so I splurged on the OEM converter.

From jacking the car up to lowering it and testing...took 45 mins...charged me $80 labor. $640 total...still an expensive repair, but I kept over $600 in my pocket....gotta treat my co-worker to lunch!

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After a day at the dealer to determine why my CES light was on...my Infiniti G37 had a passenger side catalytic converter the emission computer did not like...after losing a 2 week long battle with Infiniti/Nissan over warranty coverage for this part. Replacing this part was now going to be on me.

The Infiniti dealer wanted $1500+...$800 part. The Nissan dealer 10 mins from my OFC wanted $1240...$700 part.

You get a $140 credit when you return the current core unit.

The estimated labor time the dealers gave was is 2-4 yrs, they put 3.5 hrs in the estimate.

A co-worker said he had a good mechanic and if you buy the parts he charges labor...he said it's not a dealer type location...of the beaten path, no waiting room, etc.

the OEM converter was $200 more than the aftermarket, but warranty was 5 yr vs 1yr so I splurged on the OEM converter.

From jacking the car up to lowering it and testing...took 45 mins...charged me $80 labor. $640 total...still an expensive repair, but I kept over $600 in my pocket....gotta treat my co-worker to lunch!

A good mechanic, doctor and lawyer are worth their weight in gold

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A good mechanic, doctor and lawyer are worth their weight in gold

Yep...fortunately I haven't needed him much but I have a fam lawyer for the basic stuff, always a good resource, but I find law is so specialized...if you have criminal issues, you need a criminal attorney and so forth...dealing with a probate matter now and the 1st attorney was not nearly as good as the current on the details.

I have no problems with car dealer service in general. You expect to pay more...but not that much more on labor hours.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep...fortunately I haven't needed him much but I have a fam lawyer for the basic stuff, always a good resource, but I find law is so specialized...if you have criminal issues, you need a criminal attorney and so forth...dealing with a probate matter now and the 1st attorney was not nearly as good as the current on the details.

I have no problems with car dealer service in general. You expect to pay more...but not that much more on labor hours.

In regards to lawyers I was referring to any you need, not just one.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In regards to lawyers I was referring to any you need, not just one.

Oh...noted, that's kinda what I meant by good resource...he knows a lot of attorneys and typically can find you a reliable attorney that specializes in that area.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh...noted, that's kinda what I meant by good resource...he knows a lot of attorneys and typically can find you a reliable attorney that specializes in that area.

My real estate lawyer was that guy for me. Great resource.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My real estate lawyer was that guy for me. Great resource.

Funny you mentioned lawyer...at one point I was considering bringing a suit against Infiniti/Nissan...the part was still under the mileage warranty (by 3k or so miles) but they claim it was damaged by impact such as hitting a speed bump, thus not covered. There was no outward damage marks on it that should cause it to fail from what I was shown...in the end I didn't think it was worth it.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny you mentioned lawyer...at one point I was considering bringing a suit against Infiniti/Nissan...the part was still under the mileage warranty (by 3k or so miles) but they claim it was damaged by impact such as hitting a speed bump, thus not covered. There was no outward damage marks on it that should cause it to fail from what I was shown...in the end I didn't think it was worth it.

After moving back to NYC and working in Manhattan I got rid of my car. I don't miss it.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After moving back to NYC and working in Manhattan I got rid of my car. I don't miss it.

My brief time living in Battery Park City was great...no car.

When they finally kicked me out of the corp apartment and had to find mind own place...the city was not an option back then...needed a car.

ATL is a mini Dallas or LA...they had a chance to remove all the limitations of MARTA and make it a metrowide mass transit system...all these local govts still having trouble agreeing to how to fund it and who controls it...so various counties developed their own bus transit to get you around the county and to MARTA...my 19 mi commute would take over an hour with the transfers...better than nothing if you don't own a car...as a result...I like my car a lot.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My brief time living in Battery Park City was great...no car.

When they finally kicked me out of the corp apartment and had to find mind own place...the city was not an option back then...needed a car.

ATL is a mini Dallas or LA...they had a chance to remove all the limitations of MARTA and make it a metrowide mass transit system...all these local govts still having trouble agreeing to how to fund it and who controls it...so various counties developed their own bus transit to get you around the county and to MARTA...my 19 mi commute would take over an hour with the transfers...better than nothing if you don't own a car...as a result...I like my car a lot.

Prior to my current job I was a regional manager and did between 35,000 & 40,000 miles a year. That's probably why I don't miss it

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Prior to my current job I was a regional manager and did between 35,000 & 40,000 miles a year. That's probably why I don't miss it

Oh...I don't blame you...that's 2 yrs worth of driving for me easy.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
get on face book and raise holy hell.
my son did this with his crappy service he got from dodge.

the dodge main office called him and took care of everything.
amazing what social media can do.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
get on face book and raise holy hell.
my son did this with his crappy service he got from dodge.

the dodge main office called him and took care of everything.
amazing what social media can do.

Good point...negative content...probably as effective and no attorney fees to pay.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glad you got a decent deal on the repair! Definitely pays to have a trustworthy mechanic! Reminds me of the stuff I went through a few years ago on my Dodge truck. Had a power steering leak so I took it to the dealership. Found out the pump was leaking like a sieve, the high pressure PS hose was leaking around the seals, and my coolant lines were both leaking. They wanted $2500 to repair it all. Had a friend recommend a mechanic so I took it to him. He replaced the pump & fixed the hose himself. Said the coolant lines were solid. Only paid $500.

The following year I had a tree fall on my fender while I was at the family cabin. Luckily it only landed on the fender & no other damage was inflicted other than the headlight was smashed. Shocks & wheel escaped without any issues. Chainsawed the tree off and drove it home. That mechanic didn't do body work, but he recommended another place. Turned out to be a joke. The guy wanted over $1000 to get it done. I knew it was a simple swap if I could find the right colored fender so I found one online at an in-state junkyard. Bought & shipped it for around $200. I swapped the fender on myself. Got 2 brand new headlight assemblies for $100 off ebay. Installed those myself.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I love my cars.... I'm currently driving 100 miles a day total to get to and from work. For which I get paid to boot...

I love the morning drive when the coast is clear.

And I use the PM drive home to decompress before I walk in the back door.....

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love my cars.... I'm currently driving 100 miles a day total to get to and from work. For which I get paid to boot...

I love the morning drive when the coast is clear.

And I use the PM drive home to decompress before I walk in the back door.....

I used to like that when I lived outside of NY. In NYC the traffic ruins any decompression. I do have 25 minutes on the Long Island railroad which I use to decompress. It's not too crowded on my line and it's legal to drink. They sell beers right on the platform.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I used to like that when I lived outside of NY. In NYC the traffic ruins any decompression. I do have 25 minutes on the Long Island railroad which I use to decompress. It's not too crowded on my line and it's legal to drink. They sell beers right on the platform.

Legal beers is a good thing.... I'd avail myself of them for sure. The ball and chain would object to the marked up expense though.

I like to get home, make my lunch, get my swim bag ready for next day and do the cats' litter box before I "relax"...

Then on a weekday it's 2 brewskies and a piece of my cake.....

I never used to listen to music while I drove. Lately though it usually a CD a return trip. No things like Ipod or Iphones in my repertoire.

So it's good old CDs for me....

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Legal beers is a good thing.... I'd avail myself of them for sure. The ball and chain would object to the marked up expense though.

I like to get home, make my lunch, get my swim bag ready for next day and do the cats' litter box before I "relax"...

Then on a weekday it's 2 brewskies and a piece of my cake.....

I never used to listen to music while I drove. Lately though it usually a CD a return trip. No things like Ipod or Iphones in my repertoire.

So it's good old CDs for me....

The beer in Penn Station is actually pretty cheap. Last I checked it was $3 for a 16 ounce. In some of the kiosks in Penn Station you can get a tap 30 ounce for 4 of 5 bucks. It's not bar prices.

I listen to the radio on the Train until we go into the tunnel. Not too many people talk on the LIRR (and I use the "quiet" car) but I prefer not to hear those how are on their phones. If I don't have my IPOD I end up getting a tad stabby with the yakkers.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The beer in Penn Station is actually pretty cheap. Last I checked it was $3 for a 16 ounce. In some of the kiosks in Penn Station you can get a tap 30 ounce for 4 of 5 bucks. It's not bar prices.

I listen to the radio on the Train until we go into the tunnel. Not too many people talk on the LIRR (and I use the "quiet" car) but I prefer not to hear those how are on their phones. If I don't have my IPOD I end up getting a tad stabby with the yakkers.

Just another thing about the new phones I detest.....

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just another thing about the new phones I detest.....

The other day there was a bitch who was actually listening to music on her phone without the earphones as if there's nothing wrong with that. Several people said something to her before she decided to be a human being and get it. I'm sure she got off the train thinking we were all racists rather than her being a selfish piece of shit