• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lucky to be a Steelers fan.

Midnightangel

Troll slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You ever think about it?

Most of us were born into our fandom. Luck of the draw. You could have just as easily been born a Browns fan.

You ever stop and think about how lucky we are to be Steelers fans?

Best owners in all of pro sports, the Rooney's. The only owners we've ever had.

We're talking about a family that had the chance to sell us to LA back in the 50's and didn't. A family that could have cashed out to Drunkenmiller (who wanted 51% of the franchise) but chose to find another way. A family that DOESN'T give post game press conferences, determine draft picks, depth charts or get overly involved like that idiot down in Dallas.

They were smart enough to hire a GM in the early 90's. After that they handed things off to the coach and GM.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

We don't have to worry about having a new GM, HC or QB every few years. Hell, we don't even change coordinators that often.

How many GM's have we had since hiring our first one in the 90's? This is our second, right?

We've had 4 HC's in my life time (I was born in '68 so I got one year of Bill Austin).

We've only had a handful of QB's since Terry Bradshaw as well.

And our signature hasn't changed.....run the ball, play great defense.

It all adds up to stability. Our players come in from college and they know two things:

1) What to expect. Regardless of what position you play, you know your side of the ball's philosophy on things.

2) You don't have to worry about playing for an outgoing coach, or GM. There wont be any shake up. You know that as long as you play great, you've still got a job.

Then there's the fan base ourselves. We've sold out every home game since 1970. We take over other teams houses - so much so that Tony Dungy, in 2005, told his Colts fans NOT to sell tickets to us. He should know, he once played for us.

Terrible Towel. Invented by Myron Cope as a publicity stunt to keep his job with WDVE and it's been with us since our 2nd SB run. Other teams may rip on it, but I also see them copying it a lot. Don't you? Especially in the playoffs. Myron eventually signed over all the rights to the towel to the Allegheny Valley School for autistic people. That towel is now a charity item and has raised literally millions for autistic people. And it's dirt cheap on top of that - just 7 bucks. We carry them everywhere....the houses of other teams, vacations...I've even seen them in airplanes in the skies over Iraq, in space and the Bejing Olympics.

It's amazing how many people have been photo bombed by the Terrible towel.

Oh, then there are those 6 Lombardi's, 8 AFC titles and 20+ men in the HoF.

There are about a dozen teams that don't have a Lombardi - and 4 have never even been to the SB.

While other franchises have spurts where their window is open and they have a few years to make the playoffs and win titles, we seem to be the opposite. We seem to make the post season and making noise in the post season more often than not. And we done it consistently for most of my life. Hell, even in the 80's we managed to win the division title a couple times.

Do you realize the Bengals haven't won a playoff game since 1990? 23 years and counting. Ouch. They've been in 3 games in the last 3 years and really weren't in any of them.

We've lost two SB's but they were close games. We've never been curb stomped.

We don't have to worry about our club moving or finding it hard to get a new stadium when we need one either. Some clubs do.

Just thought I'd pass that along. I never take being a Steelers fan for granted.

If I missed anything, feel free to add it.