• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Let's Talk Dan Campbell

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's been in coaching for 13 years. Screw that.
Not as a head coach. Lots of coordinators look amazing until they become a head coach.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Said this earlier, they weren't the same decision to make...going for it up 14 to put the game away isn't the worst idea, no problem with that one. Not taking points to literally tie the game in the 4th quarter is really stupid.
I agree. Definitely kick the FG to tie the game late.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way. Not like I actually lost something. I dont play for them. I dont even or have ever lived in MI. I had a ton of years watching Pats win SB after SB.

Fans make me laugh. I guess caused I played some sports at high levels. You didnt lose anything. You can be a fan of whoever you want.
I envy you, seriously. I get very down after some of these big losses by my favorite team, even though it means absolutely nothing to my life. I don't even live in Philly, haven't for decades. But I still have dark memories of Tampa Bay's Ronde Barber picking off Donovan McNabb for six points to end any hopes of winning the 2003 NFC title game, the last game at Veterans Stadium in Philly. That's probably my all time heartbreak loss because I really felt the Andy Reid-led Eagles were the best team in the NFL that year.

sharkymcwrath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I totally disagree. Those of us who watch a ton of football (and I'm assuming that's pretty much everyone on this board) make a decision in our own mind abut whether we think it's the right or wrong call before the ball is even snapped. So I don't think people are saying it was dumb because it failed, they are saying it was a bad decision because when he made the decision and before the play was even run it was immediately and obviously stupid.

I was literally yelling at my wife and kid about what an idiot he was before the ball was snapped. Followed up with a "see???????" after the ball was snapped.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like all the "experts" are bashing him
It’s their time to shine and get attention. Everyone is talking football and we are a little more than 2 weeks from all the talk coming to an end, and wall to wall draft talk.

I don’t believe any expert is legitimately calling for Campbell to be fired (calling for his head). They can bash him now, but you know most that talk will change in August.

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not as a head coach. Lots of coordinators look amazing until they become a head coach.

He wasn't a coordinator. He was most recently the assistant head coach to Sean Payton for 5 years.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Campbell is a buffoon.....

Detroits 35% 4th down convrrsions,seems like a lot,but thats a 65% your not making it.......35% might be a good number when your winning a game,going for the kill,or in the regularseason vs piss poor teams and youdothat,but against top notch teams,goinf to the SB and to be in a place at SB.......absolutley dumb.

The Lions converted 4th down at a 53.3% rate this year.

I think the 35/36% number that is floating around is the rate that they actually finish the drive in a TD when you factor in that it was 4th and whatever. Even if they convert that 4th down attempt, the Lions were only 65% at converting red zones possessions into TD's this season. And realistically it is a MUCH smaller percentage than that when you factor in SF's defense is better than most defenses they had faced and were literally playing for their life at that point.

I personally think their chances at scoring a TD the drive on that 1st 4th down attempt is realistically closer to 20-25% when you factor in the percentages from earlier in the year and start compensating for SF defense and their predicament at that point in the game. It is why it should have been an easy decision to kick the FG.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He wasn't a coordinator. He was most recently the assistant head coach to Sean Payton for 5 years.
He wasn’t a head coach though. He didn’t get that power until Detroit hired him. The hiring was highly criticized at the time too. If I recall correctly, most people thought he didn’t have enough experience to be a head coach.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was literally yelling at my wife and kid about what an idiot he was before the ball was snapped. Followed up with a "see???????" after the ball was snapped.

You too......??

I scream at the tv every game.....

Yesterdays KC/Baltimore game......the two penalties just before the half,rough ing Mahomes with that about took his head off and the one before that(escapes my mind) that gave KC a fg.....
Zays dumbness of the taunting and stretching for the td made me hoarse......

My wife tells me " you know they cant hear you"

I know,but it realeases my anger......lol

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s their time to shine and get attention. Everyone is talking football and we are a little more than 2 weeks from all the talk coming to an end, and wall to wall draft talk.

I don’t believe any expert is legitimately calling for Campbell to be fired (calling for his head). They can bash him now, but you know most that talk will change in August.

Yeah come August... "He is the best coach, he could coach any team he wants"

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagreed at the time but on hindsight going for it is the right move. You're on the road against a better team and you have them on the ropes. You have to keep pounding.

Does anybody really believe that if the Lions had tied it at 27 with a FG, making it 34-34 after their last TD, that SF wouldn't have just come down the field with their 56 seconds and three time outs and kicked a winning FG?

Campbell was trying to win. Playing conservative wouldn't have won that game either, IMO. He took his shot. Hats off.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just read the onside kick recovery rate (I assume since the rule change) is 3.2%. That makes the decision to run the ball and then call a timeout before the 4th down play worse than the decisions to opt against kicking both FGs combined. He guaranteed he was going to lose (was obviously very likely he was going to lose either way). Just a bad day at the office for Campbell

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just read the onside kick recovery rate (I assume since the rule change) is 3.2%. That makes the decision to run the ball and then call a timeout before the 4th down play worse than the decisions to opt against kicking both FGs combined. He guaranteed he was going to lose (was obviously very likely he was going to lose either way). Just a bad day at the office for Campbell
Yeah, that was terrible. You have to have that next play ready to go.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His decision to run instead of throw at the end was really a poor decision on paper, given the clock management issue. That was just a very bad move. But he clearly had more faith in his run game than Goff all season long. The broadcast crew noted that Detroit ran on third down and long more than anyone, so going for it on 4th and 2 or whatever that was, was basically normal for them.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anybody really believe that if the Lions had tied it at 27 with a FG, making it 34-34 after their last TD, that SF wouldn't have just come down the field with their 56 seconds and three time outs and kicked a winning FG?

And yet you know this how......??

Id rather be it a tie game and take my chance with the 56 seconds left......

A 65% chance at not making that first down compared to if they can get into fg range......

See Campbells dumbness vs Dallas.....

Campbell is a buffoon.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The amount of fluky shit that had to go on for the Lions to lose that game was insane. Hard to blame this on a few fourth down calls.

Still, a loss like this is fuckin' rough and I don't think it's gonna be easy to come back from it.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,971.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Campbell’s teams have improved every year. His head coaching record is useless in evaluating him and the job he’s doing. He inherited a dog shit situation and in year 3 had them in the NFC Championship game. He’s done a great job and is a tremendous head coach.
Exactly.