• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lebron's most likely destination in 2018-2019

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what is this racist email thing?

There is supposedly an e-mail containing the n-word that Dan Gilbert was sending to someone else, but accidentally included someone in Lebron's camp.

The rumor is that Lebron has told Woj about it, but has asked him to sit on it until he is ready for it to be released, ostensibly at the end of the season when Lebron is wanting to leave as an FA. Theory is, this would allow Lebron to leave the Cavs and not have Cavs fans lose their shit on him when he does. They'll be focused on hating Gilbert instead.

Don't know how much, if any, truth there is to it. If it's true, having Woj sit on it until after the season, fits Lebron's passive/aggressive nature, provides cover if he leaves and pretty much drops a nuclear bomb on Dan Gilbert.

Racist e-mail or not, between Gilbert letting Griffin go (apparently just as he was about to seal a trade for Jimmy Butler), Kyrie saying he doesn't want to play with Lebron anymore and Lebron expressing frustration at the Cavs off-season...something has gone sideways in Cleveland.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will a 34 year old LeBron tie himself to a 20 year old Ball and a 20 year old Ingram? That just doesnt seem to be his MO- he would prob insist at least one of those guys is traded for veteran help- if not both- and I dont see the Lakers really wanting to do that unless the opportunity was perfect.

There are a few reasons I could see it happening.

First off, Lebron is a lot of things, but stupid isn't one of them. He knows that there is no way for him to go to any team and have that team have a shot at taking down the Warriors. Any team with the cap space to get him is unlikely to have the other necessary parts to beat the Warriors, and if there is a sign and trade, any team that woulds trade for him would have to give up too much.

He may think that his best option is a young team that is 2-3 years away. The Lakers (and a couple of others) fit that description. If he were to go, for example, to the Lakers, he would have a season or 2 to help develop the youngsters, get them some playoff experience and then be serious contenders in a couple of seasons, with Lebron not having to do as much of the heavy lifting as he has for his entire career. This is why I don't think he would demand that Ingram, Ball or pretty much anyone else be traded for vets. I also don't think the Lakers would agree to that.

Also, as I've posted before, Lebron's legacy is extremely important to him. Getting some credit for returning a storied franchise back to contender status would be a nice addition.

Then, there are the non-basketball reasons. Lebron is much closer to the end of his career than the beginning and may be planning for life after basketball which seems to include relocating to LA. He may want to spend a little time playing for the city he is supposedly looking to live in and establish business in after he retires.

End of the day though, it's all speculation and only Lebron knows what he's going to do.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are a few reasons I could see it happening.

First off, Lebron is a lot of things, but stupid isn't one of them. He knows that there is no way for him to go to any team and have that team have a shot at taking down the Warriors. Any team with the cap space to get him is unlikely to have the other necessary parts to beat the Warriors, and if there is a sign and trade, any team that woulds trade for him would have to give up too much.

He may think that his best option is a young team that is 2-3 years away. The Lakers (and a couple of others) fit that description. If he were to go, for example, to the Lakers, he would have a season or 2 to help develop the youngsters, get them some playoff experience and then be serious contenders in a couple of seasons, with Lebron not having to do as much of the heavy lifting as he has for his entire career. This is why I don't think he would demand that Ingram, Ball or pretty much anyone else be traded for vets. I also don't think the Lakers would agree to that.

Also, as I've posted before, Lebron's legacy is extremely important to him. Getting some credit for returning a storied franchise back to contender status would be a nice addition.

Then, there are the non-basketball reasons. Lebron is much closer to the end of his career than the beginning and may be planning for life after basketball which seems to include relocating to LA. He may want to spend a little time playing for the city he is supposedly looking to live in and establish business in after he retires.

End of the day though, it's all speculation and only Lebron knows what he's going to do.
its just hard for me to see a 34 year old Lebron plan for 2-3 seasons down the road. Why not just stay on a contender until that team is ready- stay in the East and just make Finals after Finals and continue to upgrade your legacy- and maybe something happens in the meantime?

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depending on how well Philly does this year, they could be a real contender for him. The reason being is that if their core shines, they'll all still be on rookie contracts and the 76ers will have a ton of cap space. They could realistically sign Lebron, sign another max free agent and still have their rookie core intact. If the 76ers make the playoffs this year, adding Lebron and another max free agent would put them atop the East.

But that's a huge if, depending on the progress of Philly.

Depends, they're very likely to extend Robert Covington some time before he hits free agency (hopefully on a front loaded contract) and Embiid will be a RFA. I think there are some major questions about whether Simmons and LeBron would be able to gel.

That being said, they'd be crazy not to explore the option if it presents itself.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its just hard for me to see a 34 year old Lebron plan for 2-3 seasons down the road. Why not just stay on a contender until that team is ready- stay in the East and just make Finals after Finals and continue to upgrade your legacy- and maybe something happens in the meantime?

Because the Cleveland situation is pretty bad right now and doesn't look to be getting any better. Why stay in Cleveland when you now have a Dan Gilbert puppet as your GM, fired the previous GM (who Lebron apparently liked) just as he was about to make a deal that would have improved the team, he's expressed frustration with the Cavs off-season, Gilbert doesn't seem terribly interested in placating him anymore and the other star player has demanded a trade and openly stated he doesn't want to play with Lebron anymore?

Lebron is at an age where it is no longer just about basketball. I think Lebron is planning for more than 2-3 seasons down the road. I think he's planning the next 2-3 seasons plus his life after basketball.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just like when he signed in Cleveland. There were better options then, there will he better teammate options next summer. The Cleveland others are very overrated. They are good, not great.

Most "better" options will hinge on the signing of a second star, so it is hard to figure out exactly what those are, but there will be better basketball opportunities outside of just San Antonio.

LeBron's challenge will be painting it on a light that people think he isn't simply leaving for a better basketball opportunity. If the racist email thing is true, he will have no problem doing that.

LeBron already has some of that covered. When Golden State dominates the NBA again, winning their 3rd title in 4 seasons, fans will desire the creation of a team that can stop them. Sure, it will hurt his legacy a bit to form yet another super team, but it will be viewed as necessary to stop the Warriors and so it won't hurt him as much as it might have otherwise.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depending on how well Philly does this year, they could be a real contender for him. The reason being is that if their core shines, they'll all still be on rookie contracts and the 76ers will have a ton of cap space. They could realistically sign Lebron, sign another max free agent and still have their rookie core intact. If the 76ers make the playoffs this year, adding Lebron and another max free agent would put them atop the East.

But that's a huge if, depending on the progress of Philly.

I agree. That's why I say a team like the Lakers and don't consider Lebron to the Lakers to be a done deal. The Sixers are another young, talented, developing team who could have their learning curve sped up greatly with the addition of Lebron and another top FA.

I think that all thing being equal, Lebron would end up with the Lakers before Philly because of him already having established some "roots" there. But if the Lakers don't show enough improvement...I think Philly could be a realistic destination.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing that doesn't make sense to me: People seeing Kyrie's request as a sign that LeBron isn't staying.

Let's suppose for a minute that LeBron told Kyrie: "Heads up, Kyrie. I'm leaving next year".

Kyrie's options are...

1) Enjoy 1 final year w/ LeBron as legit final contenders, endure 1 year as "the man" on a bad-mediocre team, then become an unrestricted free agent and go to literally go to any team/role you want to.

2) Request a trade and endure 2 years of complete uncertainty. It could involve awkward time with the Cavs, being traded to a really bad team, being traded to a mediocre team, or being traded to a contender where he isn't the best player.

Makes no sense to me. Whatever Kyrie's reasons are.... I don't think its because he got word that LeBron was leaving.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because the Cleveland situation is pretty bad right now and doesn't look to be getting any better. Why stay in Cleveland when you now have a Dan Gilbert puppet as your GM, fired the previous GM (who Lebron apparently liked) just as he was about to make a deal that would have improved the team, he's expressed frustration with the Cavs off-season, Gilbert doesn't seem terribly interested in placating him anymore and the other star player has demanded a trade and openly stated he doesn't want to play with Lebron anymore?

Lebron is at an age where it is no longer just about basketball. I think Lebron is planning for more than 2-3 seasons down the road. I think he's planning the next 2-3 seasons plus his life after basketball.

I think in order for LeBron to join a young team, there would have to be a legitimate path to the Finals by year 2. He can sacrifice one year (although he's arguably doing that in 17-18 by staying in Cleveland) but he can't sacrifice 2.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. That's why I say a team like the Lakers and don't consider Lebron to the Lakers to be a done deal. The Sixers are another young, talented, developing team who could have their learning curve sped up greatly with the addition of Lebron and another top FA.

I think that all thing being equal, Lebron would end up with the Lakers before Philly because of him already having established some "roots" there. But if the Lakers don't show enough improvement...I think Philly could be a realistic destination.

He should just join Milwaukee. You'd have the top two players in the East along with a solid core of role players. Guaranteed ticket to the Finals and with the right move or two, they could potentially topple Golden State.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think in order for LeBron to join a young team, there would have to be a legitimate path to the Finals by year 2. He can sacrifice one year (although he's arguably doing that in 17-18 by staying in Cleveland) but he can't sacrifice 2.

I agree. I think with Lebron and another top FA, both the Sixers and Lakers could be ready to contend by year 2.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He should just join Milwaukee. You'd have the top two players in the East along with a solid core of role players. Guaranteed ticket to the Finals and with the right move or two, they could potentially topple Golden State.

Do they have the cap space to get him? Or can they clear it without losing too much?

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. I think with Lebron and another top FA, both the Sixers and Lakers could be ready to contend by year 2.

Definitely. I think you could make the argument that just LeBron on the 76ers could make them the top seed in the East. Maybe, maybe not -- but the East is weak and that would depend on progression from the young guys (the Lakers would be good with just LeBron but obviously not able to top Golden State). LeBron plus another top free agent on either the 76ers or Lakers makes them a legitimate contender by year 2, assuming the young guys perform/progress as expected.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

thats the thing--- LeBron is only going where he has some kind of roots--- because at least that makes it defensible to the public and he doesnt look like a mercenary.

LeBron wants 2 things- 1. influence, and 2. to look good

it will only be LA or Cleveland. No where else makes sense. A condition of WHEREVER he goes will be winning immediately. LeBron wont have the patience to develop young guys at the age of 34.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do they have the cap space to get him? Or can they clear it without losing too much?

After this season, they have $72 million on the books. They could drop Rashad Vaughn and it'd be $69 million, which would leave them around $34 million in cap space next season. They'd have the same roster as this year, minus Greg Monroe and Rashad Vaughn.

Edit, they also have a guy like Mirza Teletovic on an expiring contract going into next season that they could package with picks to potentially add another quality player. Also, they'd need to extend/do something with Jabari Parker, which they could go over the cap to sign Parker once they put everything else in place.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After this season, they have $72 million on the books. They could drop Rashad Vaughn and it'd be $69 million, which would leave them around $34 million in cap space next season. They'd have the same roster as this year, minus Greg Monroe and Rashad Vaughn.

Edit, they also have a guy like Mirza Teletovic on an expiring contract going into next season that they could package with picks to potentially add another quality player. Also, they'd need to extend/do something with Jabari Parker, which they could go over the cap to sign Parker once they put everything else in place.

That definitely wouldn't be a bad destination for him them.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which conference would be easier to coast through during the regular season?

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if LeBron goes to LA or the Sixers- its guaranteed that you will see the vast majority of young players dealt for win now players

a 34 year old lebron is not wasting his last prime years teaching young guys

he wasnt willing to do that at the age of 29 with Wiggins. at the age of 34? no chance in hell.

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What if....

What if you were one of Dan Gilbert's advisors?

All these rich guys have them.

You have to see that, unlike the first time, if LeBron leaves Cleveland again, it will be Dan Gilbert, not LeBron, who receives the majority of the fans' wrath.

You also can easily see there is now way LeBron and Gilbert can continue to co-exist within the franchise.

I'm even thinking it is possible that Gilbert can start to approach, obviously not full 100%, but start to approach Art Modell hate level if he runs LeBron off.

So.

If you are one of Dan Gilbert's advisors.....

do you start to hint that it would be best for him to sell the team?

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What if....

What if you were one of Dan Gilbert's advisors?

All these rich guys have them.

You have to see that, unlike the first time, if LeBron leaves Cleveland again, it will be Dan Gilbert, not LeBron, who receives the majority of the fans' wrath.

You also can easily see there is now way LeBron and Gilbert can continue to co-exist within the franchise.

I'm even thinking it is possible that Gilbert can start to approach, obviously not full 100%, but start to approach Art Modell hate level if he runs LeBron off.

So.

If you are one of Dan Gilbert's advisors.....

do you start to hint that it would be best for him to sell the team?

I think that may be his only play.

But, I also think he is too much of an egomaniac to do it.