• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lakers 2013 Draft

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With our dismal future of draft picks due to the garage sale we had for aging vets and the high likelihood Howard bolts for points unknown, the Lakers picked Ryan Kelly, 6-11, 230lb forward from Duke with our second round pick. Not a bad second round pick. Looks like the Celtics are rebuilding. Maybe we will follow suit. This guy is a good start.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers passed on Peyton Siva but I guess we have enough point guards and needed some forwards since the ones we have are really old and getter older.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should be a useful player. He can stroke it from midrange and three. Bilas seems to think he's a solid defender which I don't agree with but he's passable.

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They just drafted a really good stretch four. Decent pick, but the silver lining with that pick is that they just sent a message(indirectly or not),that Mike D'antoni is here to STAY....which means goodbye Dwight. My first thought was goodbye Pau as well, but he may just slide into the center spot if/when Dwight leaves with Kelly at the 4. It still wouldn't shock me if they traded him however. After the obvious Dwight story came out earlier today, in the back of my mind I had a small thought that they'd think that taking the player over the coach was the right move....but with D'antoni getting his stretch four, it seems like they are staying par for the course.

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it were me, I would've taken Siva, amnestied Ron, and gone after Ariza in FA. CJ leslie wouldn't have been a bad choice either....but unless we're just giving up until 2014, we need to eventually address the PG/SF spot. Steve Nash and Ron Artest. They will continually get blown by on defense and it will be even worse with no Dwight on the backend. Steve will most likely be better on offense without the injuries, but defense was never his thing in the 1st place. Also, who knows how bad the achilles injury will hamper Kobe.

Silas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Biggest knock on Kelly is prior injuries to his foot. He just had a second foot surgery in April. Looks like a guy who could spend more time wearing a suit and tie than a uniform.

wlk3

Me and the guys
Hoopla Cash
$ 168,223.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They just drafted a really good stretch four. Decent pick, but the silver lining with that pick is that they just sent a message(indirectly or not),that Mike D'antoni is here to STAY....which means goodbye Dwight. My first thought was goodbye Pau as well, but he may just slide into the center spot if/when Dwight leaves with Kelly at the 4. It still wouldn't shock me if they traded him however. After the obvious Dwight story came out earlier today, in the back of my mind I had a small thought that they'd think that taking the player over the coach was the right move....but with D'antoni getting his stretch four, it seems like they are staying par for the course.

My exact thought on the pick... "Looks like Dantoni it is..." Fuck it... Problem is this whole roster is wrong for MDT still... 1 guy from Duke won't change that... Earl needs to be a 4, Artest needs to be a 4, Kobe is a question mark, Nash is too old, resigned Meeks and Sacre... Pau can play Center which is great offensively but on defense we are fucked! I'm really unsure what the mindset is... It looks like they want to trash next season and start over... I know it must happen some time but it sucks if that's what it's going to be like next year... :sadbron:

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear you wlk3. This insistance on keeping Don'tknowi is insane to state the least and Short Buss is going to not only drive Howard away, but they are bascially setting themselves up for the summer of 2014 when the financial books will be cleared of a lot of old dead weight contracts. This season has been basically trashed.

They'll putter around with line-ups and we may stumble into the play-offs, but this Don'tknowi experiment is like tits on a bull-completely useless. They are buying time to figure out their mess but just like Ainge in Boston, the inevitable has arrived and the house will have to be cleared.

Kold suggested that the Lakers should have taken Siva, amnestied Metta and signed Ariza. Not a bad scenario as well. But Short Buss does not have that kind of imagination or savvy. So it is going to be one helluva season in 2013.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear you wlk3. This insistance on keeping Don'tknowi is insane to state the least and Short Buss is going to not only drive Howard away, but they are bascially setting themselves up for the summer of 2014 when the financial books will be cleared of a lot of old dead weight contracts. This season has been basically trashed.

They'll putter around with line-ups and we may stumble into the play-offs, but this Don'tknowi experiment is like tits on a bull-completely useless. They are buying time to figure out their mess but just like Ainge in Boston, the inevitable has arrived and the house will have to be cleared.

Kold suggested that the Lakers should have taken Siva, amnestied Metta and signed Ariza. Not a bad scenario as well. But Short Buss does not have that kind of imagination or savvy. So it is going to be one helluva season in 2013.

:agree:decent speed, good hops, ok defender. would've went for Ariza in a heartbeat. this is NOT shaping up to be a season to get any hopes up around here with short Buss calling the shots...:L

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a bad pick for a mid second rounder and im sur hes an intelligent player coming out of coach K's system

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Makes sense Lasgop8. As Silas stated, the man has a recent rashing of foot injuries. Maybe the new assistant Maddog Mike can help this dude out.

DownSetHutch

d-_-b
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kold, you nailed my thoughts exactly with your first post. Kelly was one of the players that really intrigued me coming into this draft. He stepped into the lineup for the Dukies late in the season coming off of an injury, and it looked like he had been playing all year. He was a baller, and I believe he'll be very good at the NBA level too. Given his skill set, and the fact that D'Antoni is our coach, he's a great fit and a great pick. I think he's better than mid-2nd round talent by far. Can't wait to see him play, even though my expectations for the team will be seriously tempered this season.

The other player that I would have liked the Lakers to somehow acquire in the draft is Jamaal Franklin out of SDSU. He went 7 picks before us to the Grizzlies. He has a skill set that would fit nice with the Lakers' needs. He's an athletic SG who can defend the perimeter and is a better shooter than his stats would indicate. The Grizz got a good player. I will definitely have my eye on him this season.

Davwy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Ryan Kelly Pick was less about D'Antoni and more about getting the best pick at the time. Earl Clark could sign someone else if the money is offered, so it's a good change the Lakers could use him. He's a mature 4 year player that from a college that teaches skills. So, he's really NBA ready. Earl Clark didn't really become much of a shooter until a couple seasons in, spending the lockout over seas and then coming to the Lakers. Though is more has more variety to his game. He can slash. And regardless of the system we have, you can never have too many shooters. And we don't know about the season and if Pau gets moved during the season or if Howard doesn't sign. So, having that extra 4 helps.