• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kovy rumors of a NHL Return?

TheSgtDabbs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With his past, I would say money is a big factor. The article makes it clear the Ruble is no beuno right now.

More than that, though, is he might want to chase a cup. Let's be honest, the Stanley Cup is the premier hockey championship in the world.

If this is true, it will be interesting to see how it plays out. I wouldn't be against his return, whether in NJ or somewhere else. I think him crawling back would prevent this from happening again, which is better for the NHL (Keeping the best talent in the league). The dude can still play at a high level I'm sure.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
yeah i would take him back easily.

no one cried when nieds left for family or parise left for family. why hate on kovy for leaving because of money and playing home in his country? heck to me he is the most "honest" person ever playing for the money.

also this whole "retire" thing was probably a deal in place by the nhl beek/new owners/lou. the new guys probably didn't want to take on that massive contract.

if that was the case the joke is on the new owners. 2 straight no shows in the playoffs and all that lost playoff $$$$$ with probably another miss next year.

as far as him being healthy and helpful to this lineup? if a 43 year old jagr could lead this team 2 years in a row i wonder how much kovy could help this horrible roster.

MCDevils

NJ Devils: Sweden West
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
They need all 30 GMs to approve this. If you're a rival team, why would you ever let the Devils get him back.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They need all 30 GMs to approve this. If you're a rival team, why would you ever let the Devils get him back.

Really, what would be the hold up or reasoning? Unless somebody really wanted to be an asshole, the Devils didn't do anything wrong when Kovy retired, no real reason to hold this up. I feel like there is a bit of a code amongst GMs, they typically don't dick each other over.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If he really wants to come back he will sit out the year and then Will only need the Devils permission which they will give him even if he doesn't sign with us. It's like letting a coach go under contract to another team they don't ever ask for compensation.

The year off will really help kovy and his back which I'm sure isn't even being tested there in Russia so he should be healthy.

I would be shocked if he comes back though before his current deal is up and would be double shocked if the 30 teams didn't approve. It would just give the nhl a massive black eye just label it another joke league.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
What does it say about this team that I a, hoping he comes back lol

Man what a mess lou got us into

MadCaptain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I can't see the owners stopping him from coming back. He's a superstar and the most popular Russian player in the world. Thats a lot of income coming in to the NHL through ticket/jersey sales and he is a huge advertising tool as well.

To me it seems like too good of a business decision to derail due to pettiness.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
idk.... if he can see still be a dominant player so be it...

seems weird he retired and now, rumored, wants to come back?.... him and jagr would've been interesting to watch for sure

DevilishWon

Don't ever play Lady of Spain again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah i would take him back easily.

no one cried when nieds left for family or parise left for family. why hate on kovy for leaving because of money and playing home in his country? heck to me he is the most "honest" person ever playing for the money.

also this whole "retire" thing was probably a deal in place by the nhl beek/new owners/lou. the new guys probably didn't want to take on that massive contract.

if that was the case the joke is on the new owners. 2 straight no shows in the playoffs and all that lost playoff $$$$$ with probably another miss next year.

as far as him being healthy and helpful to this lineup? if a 43 year old jagr could lead this team 2 years in a row i wonder how much kovy could help this horrible roster.
I gave Parise shit for the same reason as Kovy...HE LEFT FOR $$$ a $10 million signing bonus PAID RIGHT BEFORE THE LOCKOUT! which was $10 million more than anyone else offered him. Yeah he left for family

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Praise got paid that 10 million when his Union brothers were going to strike. He was fine with the lockout he got his already

MadCaptain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm pretty sure it was $20 mil, two $10 mil bonuses setup in a way to both pay him during the lockout. I remember the Wild having financial issues since they paid out $40 mil to the him and Suter despite them not playing.

MCDevils

NJ Devils: Sweden West
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm pretty sure it was $20 mil, two $10 mil bonuses setup in a way to both pay him during the lockout. I remember the Wild having financial issues since they paid out $40 mil to the him and Suter despite them not playing.

You're correct. I think he was getting 12M per season for the first two years. Of that 12, 10M was signing bonuses so on the day he signed he got 10M, 2M during the season, then 10M more 366 days after he signed.

DevilishWon

Don't ever play Lady of Spain again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The point being all this leaving to go home was secondary to a massive payoff. Good job by his agent and good for him but don't give me the going home bullshit

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
that house still isn't done? typical jersey construction i guess.

i never buy that "going home" crap either. i'm sure the devils offer was close to 100 million. so really if your that homesick then move your entire family to jersey you have enough money.

just like i dont buy the nieds leaving to go play with his brother crap. why not stay here and have lou trade for your brother? your telling me once you signed with the devils burke at the time wouldn't move rob? why would he keep him your committed to jersey? the only reason he didn't deal him when lou wanted was because scott was going to be a ufa.

thats why i never hated on holik or gomez. they made it clear it was about the money and didn't lead on that they were staying.

neids and parise dragging their feet and their misleading comments about staying forced lou to keep them (wrong imo) and cost him valuable time in the ufa market. just look at the contracts given to malakov (remember he cost us a 1st round pick) mcgillis mogilny or ryder brunner clowe (who is a recation to clarkson leaving)

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that house still isn't done? typical jersey construction i guess.

i never buy that "going home" crap either. i'm sure the devils offer was close to 100 million. so really if your that homesick then move your entire family to jersey you have enough money.

just like i dont buy the nieds leaving to go play with his brother crap. why not stay here and have lou trade for your brother? your telling me once you signed with the devils burke at the time wouldn't move rob? why would he keep him your committed to jersey? the only reason he didn't deal him when lou wanted was because scott was going to be a ufa.

thats why i never hated on holik or gomez. they made it clear it was about the money and didn't lead on that they were staying.

neids and parise dragging their feet and their misleading comments about staying forced lou to keep them (wrong imo) and cost him valuable time in the ufa market. just look at the contracts given to malakov (remember he cost us a 1st round pick) mcgillis mogilny or ryder brunner clowe (who is a recation to clarkson leaving)

Not to get into this for the billionth time but this could be very legit. They are from Vancouver (or British Columbia) so playing for a West Coast team would make it much easier to be with family. Easier travel, you play Vancouver multiple times a year.