• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kevin Coyle

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, I think Armando Salguero is a clown as a journalist, but he has been on point recently - especially when it comes to Coyle

Here is another good piece indicating why he should go and the facts to back it up - sad part is, loyalty may get in the way and Philbin might keep him around - But, if Philbin wants to survive next season and beyond, he has to get rid of this clown.

The first season we had Coyle, I was excited to have him - the guy was even up for some HC jobs at the time, but our defense has regressed every season since - He isnt getting the most of what we have - He is holding back the development of some of our young guys ala Dion Jordan.

Yeah, we have some guys injured and all that - but he has still failed to get the most out of guys even when healthy. Time to go.

Will Philbin, who is staying, keep Kevin Coyle? | Miami Dolphins In Depth

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You may get your wish Paolo but it's hard to say if the breakdowns have been all coaching or on the players. Starks has dropped off and we all know wheelers flaws. Add in injuries and suspensions and it's been tough sledding. Not sure anyone could have held the D together all season. Sounds like they're loosening up with Jordans role which is nice but that's more due to necessity than strategy which IMO is nuts. Use your players to their skill set...I think Jordan will eventually grow into that role.

avalon2423

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldnt be imposed to firing Coyle and bring in Rex as the DC. Rex is a good defensive coach. its the offense that he always screws up.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldnt be imposed to firing Coyle and bring in Rex as the DC. Rex is a good defensive coach. its the offense that he always screws up.

Rex's defenses always play the Pats tough. Even during his worst year with the Jets the combined total points in the Jets two losses to the Pats this year was 3 points. He is an outspoken guy. Could he keep a low profile & be a good subordinate to Philbin RE final decisions? I don't know. Philbin would need to let a guy like him have a lot of autonomy over the defense for it to work. Philbin doesn't seem to be a micro-manager so that could work. With Lazor running the offense & Rex running the defense they would have an even better shot at winning the division. Also Rex may need some say on defensive picks in the draft for it to work. My guess is that Rex wants to be a head coach again though & I don't know that the Fins would be willing to add Rex to the staff. On another note: If Coyle stays & coaches next year I'm sure that both Philbin & Coyle's job will end with the Fins if the team doesn't make the playoffs.

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You may get your wish Paolo but it's hard to say if the breakdowns have been all coaching or on the players.

I strongly believe, in any sport, it all comes down to execution - no matter the play that is called - therefore, its up to the players to get it done because they are the ones on the field of play. That said, as I have said recently, Coyle has FAILED to get the most out of his players - injured or not. Our D has regressed each season since he has been here - you dont need any more proof. The players have some fault - but the blame starts at the top and that is where the change needs to come, at least to start with.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But Paolo you give the HC a complete pass...isn't he ultimately at the top? I'm not disputing that Coyle should go or not but I'm not sure of your logic as the HC oversees everything.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A head coach needs to step in when things aren't going well with the defense or offense, even if he has a lot of confidence in his DC or OC. The Fins' defense has been put in some tough spots this year by the offense and special teams units by turnovers & that has contributed to so many points being scored against the Fins. Another issue has been a lack of depth to deal with injuries at LB & in the secondary. It's up to the coaches to develop talent to deal with injuries. The Fins have had times when they didn't stop scoring drives at the end of games. The Fins need to be able to stop the run. When they do that & a team becomes one dimensional, the Fins are a great defense.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep I believe that they are very close to creating a top ten D. But if you say that the players are at fault when it comes to the head coach shouldn't you say the same thing about the D coordinator? If anything I put the blame on both players and coaches as guys like wheeler made everyone look bad!

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep I believe that they are very close to creating a top ten D. But if you say that the players are at fault when it comes to the head coach shouldn't you say the same thing about the D coordinator? If anything I put the blame on both players and coaches as guys like wheeler made everyone look bad!

I think both players and coaches are at fault when there is a loss. The coaches need to work together to fix issues. The players have to make the plays on the field. Also, the GM needs to add talent to help the team improve. They all play a part in the success or failure of the team.

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But Paolo you give the HC a complete pass...isn't he ultimately at the top? I'm not disputing that Coyle should go or not but I'm not sure of your logic as the HC oversees everything.

Not giving the HC a pass. He is at fault, and will be at fault if he doesnt make a change at DC for loyalty reasons. If there is one thing I blame Philbin for is that, sticking with certain coaches when they shouldve been gone.

The blame absolutely starts at the top, that means ownership and front office because that is as high as it gets - then it works down to the coaches - then players.

In reality, the coach is really stuck in the middle given the FO folks are at the top and things eventually work themselves down to the field - where the players are involved. This is why you always see coaches always pay the ultimate price - it is much easier to get rid of coaches and such first than to go through a complete roster change.

To say a HC oversees everything would be purely specualting - Every organization, in every sport works differently - on some teams, the HC does have such power,on others the owner has that power, on others its the GM/President.

We saw it said by our writers when the FO was put together in the off-season Philbin reports to Hickey, Hickey reports to Ross - So, we are one of those teams where the HC doesnt have all the power.

Either way, happy Philbin is coming back - He earned it. Just hope he realizes he needs a different DC if he wants to survive further.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't say 8-8 earned anything...but I'm willing to give Philbin one more year to improve. It should be playoffs or bust. Coyle I could take him or leave him but even with the injuries he seems slow to react which cost the team games. A change wouldn't be a bad thing because the status quo isn't working. This team is close hopefully they can make the right moves...