• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Just embarassing, just as you think the organization is headed in right direction

BPNAZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they remind you of why no one respects this franchise

Jonas_steven

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. The excuse given by Dave Stewart was 10 pounds of bullshit in a 5 pound bag. He contradicted himself one word after another!

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't even come up with an argument for how this makes any sense. It's that pathetic. They have four guys in their rotation that can't get their ERA under 5, but they are trading away a potential future ace for nothing?

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't even come up with an argument for how this makes any sense. It's that pathetic. They have four guys in their rotation that can't get their ERA under 5, but they are trading away a potential future ace for nothing?

I can come up with a half decent argument for this trade. But that doesn't mean I agree with it.

Here goes my try:

-Arroyo's rehab was not going as planned. He had some recent setbacks. Thus pushing his target date to return from the DL to late August.

-The front office knew all along that there would be a logjam in the rotation when this team got healthy. The original plan was to have both Corbin & Arroyo in the rotation before the trade deadline, allowing them to free up some SP assets for trades. Arroyo's setbacks put a wrench into this plan.

-The young SP we traded for has performed well enough & our previous pitchers on team haven't, that we have ended up with a bigger logjam than planned. Ray, RDLR, Webster, & Hellickson, while not pitching lights-out, have pitched well enough in stretches that some of them could stay in the rotation long term. The problem is that they aren't sure yet, which guys are long term guys in the rotation.

-The team has played about as well or better than expected. So much so that the front office believes that they have a chance to make the playoffs this season.

-The front office recognizes that we definitely have a problem with offensive production in the infield. None of the young guys have performed as expected. Pennington & Hill are not answers to this problem & both likely won't be here beyond 2015, if they make it through the season at all. So they decide they need to get a utility bat that is under team control for a while.

-Although Touki was seen as a top 120 prospect, he was looked at as being 4+ years out. They also may have liked both Reed & Jones, who were both drafted after Touki in the 2014 daft, better.

-Seeing as Bronson was likely not going to contribute this season, they decided to dump his salary while adding some INF help. The only way they thought they could accomplish both dumping salary & adding a young INF, would be by trading away a well thought of asset.

-Freeing up money will also allow them to make a run at Price, Cueto, Zimmerman, & Samardzija in the offseason.

-So they made they trade with the thinking that this deal will make the team better in the near term, over the next few seasons, at the risk of giving away a possible TOR arm that won't be in the rotation till the distant future. A future in which we have a stockpile of arms to fill the rotation.

So that was my try at making an argument for this trade. I don't agree with it, but I gave it a shot at explaining why they would do this.

Personally, I find there reasons for this trade to be ridiculous. They are spending very little money next season. At this point, it would somewhere around $50 mil after arbitration. This, after they just signed their new $1.5 billion TV deal which likely nets them $30-40 mil a season to start out, and likely increases each year of the deal. Between that & shared MLB revenue, there is no reason this team should be fielding a roster under $100 mil.

They basically sold Touki for $10 mil & a utility INF. :L

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw some 50 year old guy down at the College World Series in Omaha here the other night wearing a Diamondbacks hat.......he was getting dragged out by cops as he shouted obscenities at them.

It was embarrassing.

tuffydahog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Diamondbacks can trade for Hamels and Papelbon and the Phillies eat a lot of their salary, it would be a game changer. That is the only way the organization can justify trading Toussaint as part of a salary dump. I would trade some combination or all of Blair, Shipley, Webster, Drury, and maybe O'Brien for Hamels and Papelbon. In my opinion, that turns the Diamondbacks into an instant World Series contender.

Look at the starting rotation choices: Hamels, Anderson, De La Rosa, Bradley, Ray, Corbin (when he comes back), and Hellickson. Seven pitchers for 5 spots.

Then the bullpen could dominate. Papelbon, Zeigler, Hudson, Hernandez, Chafin, Delgado, and Collmenter.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Dbacks should not be worrying about dumping salary. They are not the Yankees or Red Sox. They are already operating on the cheap.

Suns7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They didn't dump salary that I can remember.... :noidea:

DweeberAZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 928.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Optioned RHP Addison Reed to Reno (PCL). Reinstated RHP Enrique Burgos from the 15-day DL.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are we talking about? This trade didn't happen...

In other news, Reed was optioned to Reno & Burgos was reinstated off the DL.

Edit: Damn ninja ninja'd me!

Suns7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Optioned RHP Addison Reed to Reno (PCL). Reinstated RHP Enrique Burgos from the 15-day DL.

It's about time I read some good news.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw some 50 year old guy down at the College World Series in Omaha here the other night wearing a Diamondbacks hat.......he was getting dragged out by cops as he shouted obscenities at them.

It was embarrassing.
It was probably BPNAZ