• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Joker (2019)

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This looks more like an artistic Indy film then the typical commercialized comic book crap that has been done so far. Anyone can see this movie and it will translate. Dont have to be a nerd. Well written and acted. The only Marvel or DC movie that comes close is Logan.

SDGuy73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,159.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $119,813,012 44.0%
+ Foreign: $152,200,000 56.0%
= Worldwide: $272,013,012

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I enjoyed it. The violence is brief but jarring. Very well made. Phoenix is great. Was kind of self-fulfilling with Joker's speech in the scene at the end on the talk show.

Joker said:
What happens when you cross a mental ill loner and a society that abandons him and treats him like crap? I’ll tell you what you get, Murray, you get what you ****ing deserve.

Basically calling out all the woke media that was trashing the film, acting as if this was the exact reaction the film would cause. Todd Phillips did a good job painting the portrait of how someone can end up doing the things Arthur Fleck does. Especially with the writings in his journal, highlighting the lines about the worst part of having a mental illness is people expecting you to act like you DONT and hoping his death makes more cents than his life.

Also did a good job of making Arthur an unreliable narrator. Making the viewer unsure of how much they saw really happened to Arthur.

Good film. Definitely recommend it.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This was absolutely hilarious! SNL finally stepped up for the first time in a while. Lots of great lines.

"Elmo innocent, Elmo didnt sell no crack. You just arresting Elmo because Elmo Mexican"

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This looks more like an artistic Indy film then the typical commercialized comic book crap that has been done so far. Anyone can see this movie and it will translate. Dont have to be a nerd. Well written and acted. The only Marvel or DC movie that comes close is Logan.
A good movie but not stellar in my opinion.

DetroitDevil

Consoles are for ages 3 and up & broke adults.
Supporting Member Level 2
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saw the movie over the weekend it was a great performance by phoenix I think once they make a batman with phoenix as the main villain this will do crazy numbers. What is impressive is that DC does huge numbers with Batman movies especially with joker and Marvel aside from the last spiderman need like 3-5 of their heros to push great numbers.

These next 10 years I would expect DC to really make a push because I am not really impressed with what Marvel announced with phase 4 at comic con

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ugh when are they going to start releasing movies over the Internet on opening day? I'd gladly pay theater prices to watch this, but I don't want to go to a theater with a bunch of popcorn munching fuckheads that can't close their mouth for 2 fuckin hours..

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw this over the weekend.

I thought the movie was well done. Technically I was really impressed Phillips and his cinematographer. I liked how he took the basic incel storyline and used it to create psychopath. The unreliable narrator aspect, which I often find to be problematic in movies, was really well done.

But I think the movie falls short of being a great film for a few reasons.

First off, the movie was unrelentingly bleak. This is a general problem with most anti-hero movies but that doesn't excuse it. There were a few cringey jokes but honestly, a few upbeats in the story would have really helped move the story along. Without that I can't really imagine ever wanting to see the movie again.

As for Phoenix, he does well in the role. As he does in virtually everything he does. But to me, his performance was all jazz hands and very little subtlety. And at the end of it I still held Heath Ledger's performance as the gold standard. He may win the Oscar but I would give it to Brad Pitt without a moment's hesitation over Phoenix.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I thought the movie was well done. Technically I was really impressed Phillips and his cinematographer. I liked how he took the basic incel storyline and used it to create psychopath. The unreliable narrator aspect, which I often find to be problematic in movies, was really well done.

First off, the movie was unrelentingly bleak. This is a general problem with most anti-hero movies but that doesn't excuse it. There were a few cringey jokes but honestly, a few upbeats in the story would have really helped move the story along. Without that I can't really imagine ever wanting to see the movie again.

As for Phoenix, he does well in the role. As he does in virtually everything he does. But to me, his performance was all jazz hands and very little subtlety. And at the end of it I still held Heath Ledger's performance as the gold standard. He may win the Oscar but I would give it to Brad Pitt without a moment's hesitation over Phoenix.

I am just curious how you got incel out of that movie. The guy had several serious diagnosed mental issues and due to funding cuts lost access to his medication and therapy. Seems to me that is what created the psychopath.

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree, the Joker is a complex character that is set up for a good performance. If you have te acting chops to take the character there, unlike Jack Nicholson, who phoned it in.

I also agree the movie is not worth watching a second time, but a sequel would be, interested to see Batman's story from that last scene in the movie with Bruce.

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am just curious how you got incel out of that movie. The guy had several serious diagnosed mental issues and due to funding cuts lost access to his medication and therapy. Seems to me that is what created the psychopath.

Your forgetting his abuse as a kid and his mother.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

His mental issues stemmed from mistreatment as a child by his mother and her lovers. His obsession with the girl next door to the point of following her around. His creation of a delusion in which he just takes her in a very manly way after killing the Wall Street douchebags. His complete lack of a political ethos.

Granted he doesn't evince the overt misogyny of an incel but if you look at a guy like Elliot Rodgers you can see a lot of similarities.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His mental issues stemmed from mistreatment as a child by his mother and her lovers. His obsession with the girl next door to the point of following her around. His creation of a delusion in which he just takes her in a very manly way after killing the Wall Street douchebags. His complete lack of a political ethos.

Granted he doesn't evince the overt misogyny of an incel but if you look at a guy like Elliot Rodgers you can see a lot of similarities.

I just feel like the mountain of things wrong you focused on what was by far the least of his issues. And the majority of what you mentioned in the spoiler bit was brought on by the lack of medication.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just feel like the mountain of things wrong you focused on what was by far the least of his issues. And the majority of what you mentioned in the spoiler bit was brought on by the lack of medication.

I wasn't trying to psychoanalyze his character. I was simply pointing out the archetype that Phillips was going for.

The violent incels tend to be mentally troubled people.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I didn't pick up on any specific incel themes to this movie. Didn't even think about it until I saw the reviews afterwards where people were shitting their pants about how it promoted white male incel gun violence or whatever the fuck.

The dude gets shit on and taken advantage of the entire movie and constantly gets ridiculed and beat up. Then the whole thing with his mom and her origin story and lack of meds sort of pushes that over the top. That's the tipping point. I didn't even consider that the stuff with the girl as part of his plunge to true insanity. If anything it mostly just served to highlight the unreliable narrator aspect. If this was truly an incel movie wouldn't he have killed the girl and the daughter? I know we don't know for sure he didn't, but why would he have?

He doesn't kill the midget because he didn't think he ever did him wrong. So why kill the girl?

I don't know man. The whole thing with the chick just seemed like any other movie where there's this girl the main character wants to bang and day dreams about.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I guess I'm not seeing much of a connection outside the mental illness aspect. Elliot Rodger was a crazy person who got pissed off that girl liked guys who were black and didn't understand why no girls talked to him when he sat in a Starbucks by himself all day. I just don't see that in Joker.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I didn't pick up on any specific incel themes to this movie. Didn't even think about it until I saw the reviews afterwards where people were shitting their pants about how it promoted white male incel gun violence or whatever the fuck.

The dude gets shit on and taken advantage of the entire movie and constantly gets ridiculed and beat up. Then the whole thing with his mom and her origin story and lack of meds sort of pushes that over the top. That's the tipping point. I didn't even consider that the stuff with the girl as part of his plunge to true insanity. If anything it mostly just served to highlight the unreliable narrator aspect. If this was truly an incel movie wouldn't he have killed the girl and the daughter? I know we don't know for sure he didn't, but why would he have?

He doesn't kill the midget because he didn't think he ever did him wrong. So why kill the girl?

I don't know man. The whole thing with the chick just seemed like any other movie where there's this girl the main character wants to bang and day dreams about.

It shows that you have to take reviews with a grain of salt. All the pre-press painted it as an incel love poem, but what I saw lined up with something very different.

A large group of people in masks hating corporations and the police? Sounds like a very different group than incels.

SDGuy73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,159.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ryan Reynolds‏Verified account @VancityReynolds

R-Rated box office congratulatory posts aren’t like the ones you’re used to...

EHvB_diXUAEDp-3.jpg:large