• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Joerger Fired

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't be the only one that thinks this is a bizarre move. What are you supposed to do when 2 of your 3 best players are out for the year and were without Randolph for large portions of the season.

Grizzlies dismiss Joerger after three seasons

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess it was the 2nd time in 3 years that he asked permission to explore other coach openings.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Memphis' ownership group is an interesting dynamic. It's too complicated to explain here so you can look it up but there was just an odd mix between them and Joerger for awhile. It's not all that surprising. He's solid young coach though. Sounds like he wants back in immediately but if I were him, I'd pull a Thibs and sit out a year. He's still getting paid by Memphis so use that year to relax, learn some new tricks, and then have your pick of the litter next season where he'll probably be the best coach available.

As for Memphis, I actually think the best move for them is to blow it up. They maxed that roster out and they don't really have any avenues to put them over the top in the West. This isn't like the Clippers were they do have a very good core and you could convince yourself that adding the right role player (with a healthy Paul and Griffin) could put you past GS and SA. Memphis' core is done.

I'd blow it up and look to make a run 3 to 4 years from now to see where things are at. Try to collect as many assets and picks as possible. Boston has loads of picks and could really use an all star to push them into true contender status, why not see if you can get them to bite on Gasol in exchange for their pick their likely top 5 pick this year, some other 2016 picks they have (a ton), and the 2017 Nets pick (they have swap rights). Or maybe send him to Orlando for Vuecvic, their lotto pick this year and next? See if you can sign and trade Conley to a team that needs a PG. Utah comes to mind. The Jazz desperately need a quality PG so maybe a package involving Dante Exum+picks could work? Bottom line, they need to be sellers right now

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This makes twice in 3 years now that Memphis has fired a successful coach. Joerger is right to be looking at options, because he feels the rebuild coming. Memphis comes out looking pretty bad here, IMO. How do they expect to land a quality coach after firing Hollins and Joerger, both who accomplished quality success with a good, not great roster.

If I am a coach looking at options, Memphis would be pretty low on my list just above Sacramento. Indiana and NY both look more attractive to me.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This makes twice in 3 years now that Memphis has fired a successful coach. Joerger is right to be looking at options, because he feels the rebuild coming. Memphis comes out looking pretty bad here, IMO. How do they expect to land a quality coach after firing Hollins and Joerger, both who accomplished quality success with a good, not great roster.

If I am a coach looking at options, Memphis would be pretty low on my list just above Sacramento. Indiana and NY both look more attractive to me.

I don't think either come off looking particularly good. Memphis definitely comes off looking bad because, as you point out, they have fired 2 successful coaches. Firing Joerger looks even worse considering he had the highest winning percentage of any coach in their history and, despite having his team decimated by injuries, he got them to the playoffs.

On the other hand, Joerger looks bad because he was there for 3 years and asked for permission to interview for other jobs twice. That doesn't exactly show a commitment to being the coach long term. He was basically treating it as a "stepping stone" job.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think either come off looking particularly good. Memphis definitely comes off looking bad because, as you point out, they have fired 2 successful coaches. Firing Joerger looks even worse considering he had the highest winning percentage of any coach in their history and, despite having his team decimated by injuries, he got them to the playoffs.

On the other hand, Joerger looks bad because he was there for 3 years and asked for permission to interview for other jobs twice. That doesn't exactly show a commitment to being the coach long term. He was basically treating it as a "stepping stone" job.

Good point. I think unless Joerger does this again in his next job, teams won't hold this against him.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good point. I think unless Joerger does this again in his next job, teams won't hold this against him.

You may be right about that. He's certainly done a good enough job in Memphis for teams to be willing to look past it.

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kings are pushing hard for Joerger it seems, meeting with him today.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm not sure it makes Memphis look bad because Joerger initiated the sequence. Its plain as day, imo, that Memphis needs to blow it up and rebuild so this is a mutual thing. Joerger probably wanted out and Memphis probably didn't want someone with one foot out the door.

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
don't blame 'em. imo dude's not a bad coach...
He'd be near the top of the list when it comes to the 2 or 3 dozen people the Kings have been linked to as being the new HC, hopefully he can look past the problems the Kings FO has had with head coaches.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hiring Joerger would be a step in the right direction for Sacramento for sure. Terrific head coach, he wanted out of Memphis before they collapsed (Conley FA, ZBo aging, Gasol injury prone, etc)

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't take long for him to get hired, good job Kings. Hoping there isn't a "Dave Joerger fired" post coming out in the next 12-24 months.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good move here for the Kings, Joerger''s a good coach who should have never got fired in the first place.

ChrisGar15

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good move here for the Kings, Joerger''s a good coach who should have never got fired in the first place.

I don't think they screwed up by firing him. He has twice asked for the team permission to interview with other teams -- so he could leave. I wouldn't want someone like this coaching my team.

It would be fair to say they should have worked with him better so he wasn't always looking for greener pasture. I think they will have difficulties rebuilding their roster to complete. And given his history -- he would have probably just complained about not having enough talent. Given where they are today -- I don't think they had much choice.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think they screwed up by firing him. He has twice asked for the team permission to interview with other teams -- so he could leave. I wouldn't want someone like this coaching my team.

It would be fair to say they should have worked with him better so he wasn't always looking for greener pasture. I think they will have difficulties rebuilding their roster to complete. And given his history -- he would have probably just complained about not having enough talent. Given where they are today -- I don't think they had much choice.

I agree. This wasn't about him not being a good coach. It was about the FO feeling like he wasn't invested in the team.

In fact... Joerger probably asked for permission knowing full well that he would either be fired AND/OR offered a new job as a result.