• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Joe Philbin

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
James Walker @JamesWalkerNFL · 10m 10 minutes ago
#Dolphins owner Stephen Ross confirms in the locker room that HC Joe Philbin is coming back for a fourth season.

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That should end all speculation. There was no reason for Philbin to go anyway - We justn need to get some guys healthy - change our LB corps, get a new DC and we will be back at it next season

avalon2423

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Terrible decision. But thats to be expected with this organization. Heres to another mediocre season.

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a great decision. They just need to get healthy and get a new DC. Hopefully we get lucky and a team thinks Coyle is deserving of an HC position and they can take him off our hands.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a great decision. They just need to get healthy and get a new DC. Hopefully we get lucky and a team thinks Coyle is deserving of an HC position and they can take him off our hands.

I agree that keeping Philbin could prove to be a good decision. He will have a good opportunity to keep building. This team is learning how to win together as a group. The rookies will be on their second year & hopefully Albert gets back to his playing great at LT. The offense is much better this year than last year. Keeping Philbin will also mean that Lazor stays. The team will be better because of that next year. RE Coyle and the defense: They are 4th in the league vs the pass but 23rd vs the run. I'd like to see the Fins become a top 10 defense again. I'm on the fence RE Coyle's leadership. It's not that easy to judge due to the injuries that the team has had. For the most part the team has beaten the teams that it should have yet has lost close games against the top teams in the league.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Philbin made some retarded mistakes but at the same time who else is out there that would dramatically improve the team? The players seem content with him so one more year hopefully won't kill them. Injuries were also a factor we can't underestimate this...even still I'm on the fence hopefully he wins me over.

cards_fins1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that keeping Philbin could prove to be a good decision. He will have a good opportunity to keep building. This team is learning how to win together as a group. The rookies will be on their second year & hopefully Albert gets back to his playing great at LT. The offense is much better this year than last year. Keeping Philbin will also mean that Lazor stays. The team will be better because of that next year. RE Coyle and the defense: They are 4th in the league vs the pass but 23rd vs the run. I'd like to see the Fins become a top 10 defense again. I'm on the fence RE Coyle's leadership. It's not that easy to judge due to the injuries that the team has had. For the most part the team has beaten the teams that it should have yet has lost close games against the top teams in the league.

I think both of you guys are very insightful and bring a lot of good information to the table when it comes to Dolphins football....THAT being said.....I respectfully disagree. I think you two(as well as the rest of the Miami fanbase) should prepare for yet another 8-8(or 7-9) season coming next season, punctuated by yet another search for another head coach ending with the hiring of another damn coordinator most people have never heard of that more than likely does not possess ANY head coaching abilities whatsoever. Philbin is much worse than Wanny....much worse than Sparano....possibly as bad as Cameron 'I love Ted Ginn' Cameron. I'm completely over this pathetically run franchise, at least until they start operating like they actually care about winning football games( which will PROBABLY be when Ross decides to sell the team) and put guys in place that truly know SOMETHING about playing/coaching NFL football. Today was literally comical. Ross waited too long to fire Ireland....Ross waited entirely too long to fire Sparano....clearly he's waited ridiculously too damn long to fire Philbin, which no doubt will take place 10 games into next season(if not at seasons end). Say it with me: 7-9, 8-8, 8-8!!!!! Really?! Perhaps Ross should have waited till the season was done to give the media a 'Christmas present', citing that Joe would most certainly be returning. NOTHING will change next year....N O T H I N G. Injuries? Blah blah blah....EVERY team has to deal with injuries! Never thought I would EVER say this, but I would much rather have Tony Sparano coaching this team than the obvious buffoon that recently got awarded yet another year, giving all of us Dolphins fans a real hope for another shot at a mediocre season....YAYYYYY!!!!!! Heres to another 8-8 season.....

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Fins keep Coyle, 8-8, 7-9 or worst is certainly possible. If they make a change - they have a shot.

However, if Coyle is willing to adjust his defense - he may actually be able to get the best out of this defense as I have pointed out as being the problem. Some writers have mentioned that Philbin has had talks with him during the season about going from a 4-3 to a 3-4 of which would better fit our roster.

If this happens - or if we run a more mixed defensive scheme, as we did a few seasons ago - we can get better production from our guys and use different packages to maximize our performance out there. We have the pieces - they just need to be used better

cards_fins1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Philbin made some retarded mistakes but at the same time who else is out there that would dramatically improve the team? The players seem content with him so one more year hopefully won't kill them. Injuries were also a factor we can't underestimate this...even still I'm on the fence hopefully he wins me over.

Personally, I think if you put every NFL coordinator's name into a hat and picked one-making him our new HC, Miami wouldn't finish any worse than 8-8. And you would have finished with Joe Philbins best record with absolutely zero research. Who would be better? Virtually anybody.....you say the players are 'content' with Joe? Really? I don't know where you're getting your information from Paolo, but I've read SEVERAL articles this season involving discontent both in the locker room and on the field(cough Odrick cough Wallace cough cough). Add that to the pretty bizarre situation involving the bullying scandal-you know, the one where our illustrious coach that you're happy to have back went on record to say he knew nothing of what was going on?-and one might conclude that there are more unhappy players in Miami than otherwise. I realize you will attempt to tie THIS post to my insatiable appetite for seeing our HC canned, but the truth is-Joe has NOT earned another year. Anyone that thinks that he has is either delusional or simply far to easy to please.

avalon2423

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with cards...bringing philbin back is a huge mistake. Another 8-8 season is coming.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone here think that Rex Ryan will come in as the DC next year? And if Philbin does indeed get canned after another 7-9, 8-8 season that he'd be in line to take over the HC duties?

cards_fins1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with cards...bringing philbin back is a huge mistake. Another 8-8 season is coming.

Absolutely comical....just to give you an idea of how ridiculously backwards this front office is-Every team in the entire NFL holds their head coach ultimately responsible for the teams successes OR failures(right or wrong, sorry-it comes with the territory).....however, in MIAMI, clearly it is NEVER the head coaches fault, but rather the coordinators that get the axe. HUHHHHH?!! I mean, it is not my intent to defend or dismiss the truly pathetic job Kevin Coyle has done, because he might be the worst DC in the league. But Philbin should have been gone last season, yet Sherman was the scapegoat. THIS season, its Coyle that gets the brunt of the blame. Philbin clearly has naked pictures of Stephen Ross tucked away somewhere....that's absolutely the only effin reason why he is still the coach of the Miami Dolphins.

cards_fins1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone here think that Rex Ryan will come in as the DC next year? And if Philbin does indeed get canned after another 7-9, 8-8 season that he'd be in line to take over the HC duties?

I don't believe theres an chance that Rex will be in Miami next year, after that who really knows. Rex is most certainly an 'alpha male', which Philbin clearly is not. IMO, there's no way Joe would allow Rex to join his staff. I will say this however: Rex might have won 10+ games with Miami's roster easy. Guys love playing for him(unlike Philbin), he has shown the ability to make in game adjustments(unlike Philbin), and clearly he's able to motivate his team(really really unlike Philbin). Hard to believe so many coaches will be gone but ours will return....hilarious.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't believe theres an chance that Rex will be in Miami next year, after that who really knows. Rex is most certainly an 'alpha male', which Philbin clearly is not. IMO, there's no way Joe would allow Rex to join his staff. I will say this however: Rex might have won 10+ games with Miami's roster easy. Guys love playing for him(unlike Philbin), he has shown the ability to make in game adjustments(unlike Philbin), and clearly he's able to motivate his team(really really unlike Philbin). Hard to believe so many coaches will be gone but ours will return....hilarious.

I can definitely see that. I think that the huge scandal last year with Martin and Incognito really showed that Philbin really doesn't have a clue when it comes to instilling confidence in his players.

At least on the bright side, the Rams saved you guys from getting a higher priced coach that would have you playing average-mediocre football in Jeff Fisher.

cards_fins1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can definitely see that. I think that the huge scandal last year with Martin and Incognito really showed that Philbin really doesn't have a clue when it comes to instilling confidence in his players.

At least on the bright side, the Rams saved you guys from getting a higher priced coach that would have you playing average-mediocre football in Jeff Fisher.

I can't speak intelligently about the situation w/the Rams, although I can pretty much guarantee Fisher would be an instant upgrade over Philbin 11 times out of 10. Fisher might not have earned his keep in St. Louis, but he HAS shown the ability to be a pretty good head coach in years past. I can't recall(not to say it hasn't happened) Fisher being 'outcoached' late in a ballgame. Philbin has been outcoached AT LEAST 3 times this season alone, not to mention probably 3 more times last season. I really wish I could point to ONE thing Joe Philbin has brought to Miami that has helped this team even a little bit, but the fact is, he clearly has no control of this team(cue the Odrick clip or possibly the Wallace benching or perhaps the bullying scandal), cannot manage a damn clock when it matters, has no clue how to prepare his men, and certainly lacks any possible 'motivation' skills necessary to elevate Miami to playoff contention.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't speak intelligently about the situation w/the Rams, although I can pretty much guarantee Fisher would be an instant upgrade over Philbin 11 times out of 10. Fisher might not have earned his keep in St. Louis, but he HAS shown the ability to be a pretty good head coach in years past. I can't recall(not to say it hasn't happened) Fisher being 'outcoached' late in a ballgame. Philbin has been outcoached AT LEAST 3 times this season alone, not to mention probably 3 more times last season. I really wish I could point to ONE thing Joe Philbin has brought to Miami that has helped this team even a little bit, but the fact is, he clearly has no control of this team(cue the Odrick clip or possibly the Wallace benching or perhaps the bullying scandal), cannot manage a damn clock when it matters, has no clue how to prepare his men, and certainly lacks any possible 'motivation' skills necessary to elevate Miami to playoff contention.

I will say that our defense for the most part really isn't the problem. Fisher just doesn't seem to have a clue about offensive personnel. He has kept, in my opinion anyways, the worst offensive coordinator in the league, Brian Shottenheimer, on the staff for way too long. This past draft, he didn't even select a QB until the 6th round and the guy didn't even make the roster. Last year, we wasted one of our picks to trade up to select our version of Ted Ginn Jr in Tayvon Austin. Heck, we even had Case Keenum on our practice squad when we desperately needed just an avg qb (which probably would have won us at least four more games). But instead, he stuck with the pathetic Shaun Hill even though he was embarrassing to watch.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Cards I never endorsed Philbin I'm on the fence but after yesterday I'm starting to slide off. I don't think Rex is a great coach either but he out coached Philbin. At this point I'm hoping Philbin proves us wrong and rights the ship after another offseason to plug the holes. Things are never as bad or good as they look. Either way he's on his last straw no doubt about it...

psaboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fire Coyle and sign Rex as D coordinator. Need to give him good money, but think it would be worth it as Rex figures what to do long term, maybe get his services for year or two?

cards_fins1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Three coaches who didn’t deserve to keep jobs

BB1G2A2.img
e151e5.gif
Bloguin
From Yardbarker6 hrs ago

BBhkUak.img
© Jeff Zelevansky/Getty Images Coach Gruden should be looking at his walking papers.
The fallout from Black Monday in the NFL was swift. All told, four coaches lost their jobs before New Year’s including Rex Ryan, Mike Smith, John Harbaugh and Marc Trestman. None were a shock to anybody following the season’s tea leaves with reports constantly surfacing about their potential oustings.
However, it was a light day for firings in comparison to the last few years. In 2013, seven jobs opened up for new coaches to come in. In 2012, another seven coaches were given the pink slip on Black Monday.
It was surprising that a few under-the-radar firings didn’t occur as they normally do. Every year it seems, we get a Rod Chudzinski-type change that makes everybody stop and wonder what happened. With only four coaching openings this year, the coaching carousel will be slow-moving.
With that in mind, here are three other jobs that should have opened up on Monday:
1. Washington Redskins, Jay Gruden
Could the Redskins be any more of a train wreck? Gruden certainly didn’t help things in his first year, taking over for Mike Shanahan. Normally, you give a coach at least two to three years in hopes of turning things around, but this season is an exception. Gruden benched three different healthy quarterbacks, threw Robert Griffin III under the bus during press conferences, and watched the team quit on him by Thanksgiving.
Washington needs a complete overhaul, beginning with owner Daniel Snyder. Gruden appeared overmatched all season, leading to a brutal -137 point differential, an NFC worst. All you need to do is read this Thomas Boswell column in the Washington Post, and then try to justify keeping anything in Redskins Park that isn’t bolted down.
2. Jacksonville Jaguars, Gus Bradley
Bradley is a smart football man and coaches with a ton of enthusiasm. It appears the players really want to win for Bradley, but things are simply terrible in Jacksonville. The Jaguars went 4-12 in Bradley’s first year, but finished the campaign 4-4 in the last eight games. The momentum seemed on the way, but then the Jaguars stumbled to a 3-13 season in 2014.
In fairness to Bradley, he does not have much to work with. However, Jacksonville is failing to gain an identity. The Jaguars rank 21st or worse in the run and pass categories on both sides of the ball. When you can’t do anything well, it is time to move on. Over the past two years, the team’s point differential is -364, a league-worst over that span.
3. Miami Dolphins, Joe Philbin
Philbin has failed to help the Dolphins reach a playoff berth in each of his first three seasons at the helm. Last year, Miami was 8-6 and only needed to beat the Buffalo Bills or New York Jets for a postseason spot, but lost both while scoring a combined seven points. This year, the Dolphins went 2-3 in December to finish 8-8, including blowout losses to the New England Patriots and Jets.
Philbin has a talented young quarterback in Ryan Tannehill, an excellent defense and a solid cast of skill position players. The Dolphins should have made the playoffs each of the past two seasons, but instead are sitting on a six-year drought.

ENUFF SAID......

e151e5.gif

Go to MSN Home