• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Joe Girardi

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which is why Soler is dealt to Colorado for Gonzalez.

I'd much rather hold on to Almora than Soler. Gonzalez is only 27, and he's a do it all player. I would package a deal involving Soler and Alcantara in a heart beat, No question about it. The guys in our system that I wouldn't trade would be Bryant, Edwards, Hendricks, Almora, and Baez.

One of the things the Rockies want is pitching and I would think Edwards or Pierce Johnson would be required for the deal and I could see the Rockies being firm about whichever one they wanted. The names I've heard/read in rumors are Alcantara, Vogelbach, Edwards, Arrieta, Johnson and Almora. I haven't heard anything about Soler as an option. I don't see any of the Cubs pitching prospects as untouchable. Edwards has great stuff, but his size probably ends up limiting him. He has never thrown over 116 innings in a season. If the Rockies price for CarGo was Alcantara, Vogelbach and Edwards there is no way I would refuse that over Edwards.

Interestingly, Keith Law said the other day that he could see Almora ending up as valuable as Giancarlo Stanton. Someone asked him if the Cubs could get Stanton for Baez and Almora and Law said both Baez and Almora could easily end up being as valuable as Stanton individually. I don't see the Cubs moving any of their big 4 prospects at this time. If they end up having to move one down the road they will cross that bridge when they get there.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we see what Cespedes and Puig did for their teams. I am not willing to not see if Soler can also do that for Colorado. I also know the cubs got Jimenez in this years draft, so they are already replacing outfielders that have yet to make the major leagues.

Honestly, they can have almora over Soler in my bad opinion, but I dont see anything in Cargo outside of Colorado that would even merit bringing him here when we have guys that will match what he can do in the system.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you say out of Colorado you looking at his home/road splits. The thing you have to keep in mind about that is that most of his road games are played in pitcher friendly parks like PetCo, AT&T and Dodger Stadium. Those three parks have been in the top 10 for pitchers every season from 2010 to 2013 and they were 3 of the top 4 pitchers' parks this year.

I am more concerned about his health then his home/road splits. He has only played over 135 games once. If it doesn't include any of the big 4 then I don't see the downside. IF Bryant can't play passable 3B and the issue is forced in 2016 that you need RF and LF for Bryant and Soler with nowhere for CarGo to play then you can trade him to fill another hole. The Phillies had that issue when Ryan Howard was tearing up the upper minors and they traded Thome to clear 1B for Howard.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you say out of Colorado you looking at his home/road splits. The thing you have to keep in mind about that is that most of his road games are played in pitcher friendly parks like PetCo, AT&T and Dodger Stadium. Those three parks have been in the top 10 for pitchers every season from 2010 to 2013 and they were 3 of the top 4 pitchers' parks this year.

I am more concerned about his health then his home/road splits. He has only played over 135 games once. If it doesn't include any of the big 4 then I don't see the downside. IF Bryant can't play passable 3B and the issue is forced in 2016 that you need RF and LF for Bryant and Soler with nowhere for CarGo to play then you can trade him to fill another hole. The Phillies had that issue when Ryan Howard was tearing up the upper minors and they traded Thome to clear 1B for Howard.

Someone will have to be moved to the outfield.

Imagine an infield with Bryant, Baez, and Castro. This could be a disaster waiting to happen. I'm thinking Bryant will be in left and we'll have to find a 3B that could play the field.

As for trading Edwards in a package for Gonzalez, I would too. I'm just saying I'd love to hold on to him. But I'd much rather keep Almora than Soler. And obviously, we can not trade Bryant or Baez.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just think that if Girardi does come here, expectations immediately go up. So bringing in Girardi will require bringing in a player or two that can contribute right now. Which is Tanaka, McCann, Ellsbury, Choo, and Gonzalez. Obviously not all of them, but maybe 1 or 2 maybe even 3. Who knows.

Someone stated that Castillo has improved, and I agree he has. So why not sign McCann and basically platoon the two. That way you save some years on McCann. McCann can also DH in AL games, and play 1st on days off for Rizzo.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if they bring in Girardi it doesn't mean they go and grab players right away. If Girardi were going to go somewhere to win now he would take the Nationals job. Instead Girardi has said he isn't interested in either the Nationals or Reds jobs and it will be the Yankees or Cubs. Why would you pay McCann $15M+/yr to be a part-time player?

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if they bring in Girardi it doesn't mean they go and grab players right away. If Girardi were going to go somewhere to win now he would take the Nationals job. Instead Girardi has said he isn't interested in either the Nationals or Reds jobs and it will be the Yankees or Cubs. Why would you pay McCann $15M+/yr to be a part-time player?

He wouldn't be a part time player. You would play Castillo more than you would a regular back up. Saving McCann of injury or fatigue. Plus with the all year interleague games now he could be a legitimate DH on top of giving Rizzo his days off. He'd still see a significant amount of at bats, we'd just rest him up here and there.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And you're making it seem like I'm talking about loading this team with FA's. All I'm saying is, if Girardi comes here, the Cubs would sign a player or two like Tanaka and McCann, for example.

Brahmsian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Girardi really is that "Old School" Theo definitely won't pick him.

Someone who coached under Francona while Theo and he were both with my Red Sox is much more likely.

Maybe one of current Red Sox manager John Farrell's coaches could land the job.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Girardi really is that "Old School" Theo definitely won't pick him.

Someone who coached under Francona while Theo and he were both with my Red Sox is much more likely.

Maybe one of current Red Sox manager John Farrell's coaches could land the job.

The thing is, the Cubs are trying to sell tickets without having a winning team right now. So how do you sell more tickets? You bring in a guy who's from the area, a guy who grew up a Cubs fan, and most importantly a guy the fans love, and Girardi seems to be that guy.

I've heard Greg Maddux's name thrown around as well.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Girardi always a notebook next to him during games. Based on what I have read/heard this notebook includes a ton of statistical breakdowns not only against the current team, i.e. hitter/pitcher history, but strategy guidelines. If that is true then he is very much the type of manager that Theo would be interested in for in-game decisions.

This is just too weak of an FA class for me to think they will go out and spend the big money on an established big league player. If they add Tanaka and trade for CarGo that will be two big splashes and throw in Girardi as the manager and that will be enough to drive early ticket sales. I've never heard or seen anything from Greg Maddux to think he is interested in coaching. He has had a few front office jobs since he stopped playing and I think that is where he wants to be. Mike Maddux said he was interested, but the Cubs have said they are not interested in him.

Brahmsian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Girardi always a notebook next to him during games. Based on what I have read/heard this notebook includes a ton of statistical breakdowns not only against the current team, i.e. hitter/pitcher history, but strategy guidelines. If that is true then he is very much the type of manager that Theo would be interested in for in-game decisions.

This is just too weak of an FA class for me to think they will go out and spend the big money on an established big league player. If they add Tanaka and trade for CarGo that will be two big splashes and throw in Girardi as the manager and that will be enough to drive early ticket sales. I've never heard or seen anything from Greg Maddux to think he is interested in coaching. He has had a few front office jobs since he stopped playing and I think that is where he wants to be. Mike Maddux said he was interested, but the Cubs have said they are not interested in him.
I'd never heard that myself, but don't follow the Yankees that much.
Read their forum now and then but that's about it.

If it's true it would improve Girardi's chances of getting the Cubs' job.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big names know Theo wants a puppet. Girardi does not deserve to be handled. Girardi said it was never about the money and there might not be a bigger challenge for a manager than the yankees will be dealing with over the next few seasons.

I hope they get permission for Davey Martinez. Out of the 80's cubs we wanted for manager, after theo would not even interview sandberg, maybe davey gets the shot he deserves. He has learned from one of the best. He is the only candidate I am excited about.