• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jack Meet Ownership...The Nelson Cruz Story

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said, the only people I've seen even speculate about Edgar being on something are people who long ago decided that everyone from that era was on something. Because there was no testing for a pretty good chunk of the steroid era (tests were eventually administered with the stipulation that results remain anonymous, which was never going to happen) and because some high profile players that didn't need PEDs made it obvious that they were on PEDs, it left things open to a lot of speculation.

The problem with that is that you could ask 10 different people within the game or covering the game to guess how big a percentage of the player population during that time was on something and you'd get 10 different answers. Without transparent testing and/or admissions from the players, there was no way to know for sure how many of them were actually on PEDs. All anyone had to go on to form an opinion on the subject was hearsay and leaked lists that were supposed to stay private. That made it really easy for cynics and people that just wanted to move on from the steroid era to say that since we didn't have an exact number, everybody was under suspicion.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said, the only people I've seen even speculate about Edgar being on something are people who long ago decided that everyone from that era was on something. Because there was no testing for a pretty good chunk of the steroid era (tests were eventually administered with the stipulation that results remain anonymous, which was never going to happen) and because some high profile players that didn't need PEDs made it obvious that they were on PEDs, it left things open to a lot of speculation.

The problem with that is that you could ask 10 different people within the game or covering the game to guess how big a percentage of the player population during that time was on something and you'd get 10 different answers. Without transparent testing and/or admissions from the players, there was no way to know for sure how many of them were actually on PEDs. All anyone had to go on to form an opinion on the subject was hearsay and leaked lists that were supposed to stay private. That made it really easy for cynics and people that just wanted to move on from the steroid era to say that since we didn't have an exact number, everybody was under suspicion.

And that's the thing that sucked for that era is that everyone is assumed guilty because of MLB intentional ignorance on the subject. Yes, the era was "tainted" but if MLB officials actually stepped in then baseball would be a shell of what it was/is. The MLBPA killed the national appeal of baseball with their strike and only once the homerun chase captured America's heart did fans come back (except obviously in Seattle)

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Safe to say the Mariners would have been in the playoffs had they landed Cruz. His massive production this year was not even the result of playing in Baltimore, as he hit 25 of his 40 home runs on the road.

Only a story like this would appear with the Mariners. It is quite astounding how this organization is so dysfunctional.

The only thing sadder than the fact that the Mariners didn't sign Cruz for that bargain price, is the fact that I doubt ownership regrets their decision, even knowing that if we had signed Cruz we would have made the playoffs.