• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Belichick Right?

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Bill Belichick Says There Is No Point In The Extra Point

An interesting and candid look at the extra point from the mind of Bill Belichick. Here is a snippet of the article.

"Philosophically, plays that are non-plays shouldn’t be in the game," Belichick said, via Mike Reiss of ESPNBoston.com. "I don’t think it is good for the game. Extra points, when you’re up to the 99 percent range in extra points it’s not a play. Let’s move the ball back to the 15-20 yard line and not make it a tap in. Make them kick it. Same thing with the kickoff return, if you’re just going to put the ball on the 20, put the ball on the 20."

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
In some ways, I can see his point. With the accuarcy and leg strenght of the kickers these days, the chances of missed extra points is very low. Therefore there's no drama or the chances that it can affect the outcome of the game is slim. As for the kick offs, why waste time, man power, and energy if the chances of getting a touchback everytime is a given...

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I'll say he's right but change is difficult to accept in sports especially for something you've grown accustomed to for so long.

I wouldn't want to make it automatic 7 points but I do favor putting the extra point back to the 15-20 yard line. It would make things more interesting especially for coaches choosing between the FG and the 2 point conversion.

My guess is the NFL doesn't see the problem with the extra point. I think they prefer the drama that OT brings and I think they prefer the drama of a team needing a score to break a tie rather than winding up with a 1 point lead because the other team missed an extra point so they just run out the clock to keep that 1 point lead. Not to mention nobody wants to see a team come back from a two touchdown deficit late only to blow it with a missed extra point.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
In some ways, I can see his point. With the accuarcy and leg strenght of the kickers these days, the chances of missed extra points is very low. Therefore there's no drama or the chances that it can affect the outcome of the game is slim. As for the kick offs, why waste time, man power, and energy if the chances of getting a touchback everytime is a given...

I do like the idea of making the extra point more exciting and not such a gimme.

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'll say he's right but change is difficult to accept in sports especially for something you've grown accustomed to for so long.

I wouldn't want to make it automatic 7 points but I do favor putting the extra point back to the 15-20 yard line. It would make things more interesting especially for coaches choosing between the FG and the 2 point conversion.

My guess is the NFL doesn't see the problem with the extra point. I think they prefer the drama that OT brings and I think they prefer the drama of a team needing a score to break a tie rather than winding up with a 1 point lead because the other team missed an extra point so they just run out the clock to keep that 1 point lead. Not to mention nobody wants to see a team come back from a two touchdown deficit late only to blow it with a missed extra point.

Well, the team that is ahead would want that. Why would they want to go to OT when the momentum is with the other team?

freaak

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Who wouldn't want to see more of these types of gems?

Last edited by a moderator:

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Damn that stadium is LOUD!!!!...

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i'd be ok if they moved the PAT back to say the 10 yard line. if they elect for the 2-pt conversion, leave it as is or even move it back a yard?

for the kick-offs, can they compromise and use the 32.5 yard line?

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be interesting, but i think it should stay the same. How crappy would it feel losing a game especially a playoff game by 1 point, because our kicker shanked it. Even with the current rule when we get down by one and we are about to kick the PAT i still worry a little that he will miss it. Its happened before.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

I agree with Bill though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would make good kickers more valuable.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
if there was a way to avoid kneel downs, or at least not let it happen so early..............that would make the end a little more interesting? to me, kneel downs right after the 2 minute warning is early.

but alas, no ideas come to mind?

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
if there was a way to avoid kneel downs, or at least not let it happen so early..............that would make the end a little more interesting? to me, kneel downs right after the 2 minute warning is early.

Shorten the play clock even more?

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, he has a point that it seems to be a worthless exercise. Although once in a while people actually do screw up the gimme point. Or by some miracle someone blocks it. They should make it more challenging.

On the other hand, I'd just hate to see a team squeak out a win 21-20 because the other team missed a 37 yard kick with 2 minutes left in the 4th quarter. In today's game, the other team would likely try to go score a FG to win 24-21. Under this idea, we'd just see that team kneel it out.

I'd really dislike an NFL where multiple wins/losses came down to the quality of a team's kicker. This would practically make a good kicker almost as valuable as a good QB.

uclabruin094

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

They should make it that you have to gain positive yards in order for the clock to keep running

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

They could enforce a stalling rule where if you are not actively trying to advance the ball, the clock would stop at the end of the play.

I don't see that one happening though because it would put QB's at risk.

Or how about this - within two minutes the defense can elect to give up a one time 5 yard penalty to stop the clock.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
usually when you ask "is Bill Belichick right?" in reference to football the answer is yes. And I was just about to go on about how he's right about this too, but I forgot about one thing: the fake.

If you don't kick the extra point there's no fake extra point either. And if you move it back to the 15 yard line they're still gonna make 98% of 'em and NOBODY will try to go for two. And if they have to go for two they'll make it like 8% of the time. Gotta disagree with Bill.