• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is ARod Right?

$500 Million

Elitist Douche
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
“This injustice is MLB’s first step toward abolishing guaranteed contracts in the 2016 bargaining round."

Forget about the injustice part, is the the first step in getting rid of guaranteed contracts?

Should it be?

I happen to think it should, but only in the case of PED use. If baseball went after not guaranteeing contracts with performance and injuries as factors, they would never get it without a work stoppage.

I do however think the players union might not put up much of a fight if contracts could be voided due to PED violations. They want the game clean too after all. Well, most of them do. This type of clause in the 2016 collective bargaining agreement could be a huge help in cleaning up the game.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would the NFL model work? I mean they get "big" contracts but usually not a lot guaranteed. No?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would the NFL model work? I mean they get "big" contracts but usually not a lot guaranteed. No?

Difference is that the MLBPA is super-strong while the NLFPA is a joke. NFL contracts are essentially worthless. Why would the MLBPA ever agree to anything like it?

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ARod is such a douche. Any statements he makes are just self serving.

The genie is out of the bottle when comes to guaranteed contracts & payrolls in the MLB. And the NFL model will never work in the MLB. I do think they could put PED clauses in contracts if the owners were willing to have the voided contract still count towards the luxury tax & that 50% of the money saved from voiding a contract would go to charities who's causes are PED prevention & youth education.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Difference is that the MLBPA is super-strong while the NLFPA is a joke. NFL contracts are essentially worthless. Why would the MLBPA ever agree to anything like it?

This is so freaking true! It's pretty sad how powerful they are!

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arods contract has additional earnings tied to meeting milestones like home runs. The Yankees agreed to it and arod will seek in 2015 to get it.

No other team wants him. He is a Yankee for another 4 years and the mlbpa will not allow the Yankees to sleeze out of it

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know about all that but ...

he is right that he never got a 50 game suspension before getting a season-long suspension.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know about all that but ...

he is right that he never got a 50 game suspension before getting a season-long suspension.

That's because he had 2 violations under the JDA being adjudicated at the same time. The egregiousness of the 2nd violation is what caused him to miss a season. The arbitrator agreed with seriousness of the totality of the violations. And the MLBPA agreed to the process in which the decision to suspend him 162 games was made.

Again, ARod's statements are half-truths. The ends justify the means for him.

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, but this would theoretically be tied to PED use. NFL players are allowed to use PEDs.

gunnarthor

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ignoring ARod, one of the things I like about baseball is that the players (labor) has some serious power over management. I'd hate to see a guy like Justin Morneau get cut b/c of a concussion, even if it would've saved my team a bunch of money. (And really, it would've just gone into some billionaire's pockets). I don't want to see the union give up a bunch of stuff in the next CBA.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
press time for a-fraud is pure, free PR time aimed at damage control. take nothing he says seriously.

his pr team's MO is "change the story" by throwing out a bunch of absurd, random shit in his pressers, desperately hoping that some news entity will pick up one of them for a couple of news cycles.

it works a lot of the time, so it's a sound strategy for him.

MLB was smart to make an announcement on the weekend because it limits a-rod's ability to respond and change minds. Helps when 60 Minutes airs a damning Bosch interview, too. i expect another release by a-fraud's handlers first thing tomorrow.

so far, from arod, we have the following shit he tried to use as a distraction:

1) mlb trying to stop guaranteed contracts
2) he'll be at spring training
3) oh yeah, and he never did PED

Last edited by a moderator:

Silas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arod is a cheat with an axe to grind.

Guaranteed contracts aren't going any where.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A-drug addict Rod is just grandstanding for sympathy and trying to paint the MLB as the bad guys and truthfully - I have no problem with guaranteed contracts for all major sports being aborted. I don't have a guaranteed contract for my job. My job depends on my performance.

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forget about the injustice part, is the the first step in getting rid of guaranteed contracts?

Should it be?

I happen to think it should, but only in the case of PED use. If baseball went after not guaranteeing contracts with performance and injuries as factors, they would never get it without a work stoppage.

I do however think the players union might not put up much of a fight if contracts could be voided due to PED violations. They want the game clean too after all. Well, most of them do. This type of clause in the 2016 collective bargaining agreement could be a huge help in cleaning up the game.

No...it's more about Selig taking a major stance against PED's to try to make up for him knowingly letting usage run rampant for the sake of "rejuvenating" baseball in the late 90's.

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would he be getting a full season suspension if he were only making the MLB minimum?

Would the Yankees be all for the year long suspension if A-Rod was in his prime?

Would it be the Yankees stating "he's never tested positive before, why is he getting suspended 211 (162) games instead of 50?"

No
No
Yes

This is basically a case of a guy being washed up, he's making too much money, the Yankees want him off their payroll and MLB /Selig are doing what they can too make this happens for the Yankees.

gregrey972

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would he be getting a full season suspension if he were only making the MLB minimum?

Would the Yankees be all for the year long suspension if A-Rod was in his prime?

Would it be the Yankees stating "he's never tested positive before, why is he getting suspended 211 (162) games instead of 50?"

No
No
Yes

This is basically a case of a guy being washed up, he's making too much money, the Yankees want him off their payroll and MLB /Selig are doing what they can too make this happens for the Yankees.

Hey Million...does this count as my article supporting my absurd statements from the other thread?

$500 Million

Elitist Douche
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Million...does this count as my article supporting my absurd statements from the other thread?

No, it's just another conspiracy theory. :suds:

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Conspiracy theory?

It's plain as day to see what Selig is trying to do for himself and the Yankees.

$500 Million

Elitist Douche
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Conspiracy theory?

It's plain as day to see what Selig is trying to do for himself and the Yankees.

There are people who think it's as plain as day that a plane never hit the pentagon, or that we never walked on the moon, or that no one got shot at Sandy Hook Elementary, but they are all theories until there is hard evidence. There is just as much evidence that the Yankees and MLB are conducting a secret operation to get the Yankees under the 189 million luxury tax threshold and rid themselves of Arod's contract as there is to support the other three examples I gave.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator: