• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is ammunition a commodity?

Team Mookie

You won't live forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is ammo now being treated as a commodity like gold, silver and oil? Here recently it seems every day we have new ammo prices and availability. I have also noticed that some retail chains have limited the amount you can purchase during your visits.

I don’t want to be an ammo hoarder but with limited availability and talk of ammo taxes does it make sense to stock up now while prices are still manageable. Does this also go for all types and calibers. Could it be traded later on..?

BF4L

Black/Gold Glasses
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,520.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is ammo now being treated as a commodity like gold, silver and oil? Here recently it seems every day we have new ammo prices and availability. I have also noticed that some retail chains have limited the amount you can purchase during your visits.

I don’t want to be an ammo hoarder but with limited availability and talk of ammo taxes does it make sense to stock up now while prices are still manageable. Does this also go for all types and calibers. Could it be traded later on..?

Well as someone who preps. I would say yes it is.

If I have a ton of ammo in the event of a major reset of life in America then I have something that not many people would have. If I needed something I do not have I could easily barter with ammo that would be very valuable.

Team Mookie

You won't live forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If I have a ton of ammo in the event of a major reset of life in America then I have something that not many people would have. If I needed something I do not have I could easily barter with ammo that would be very valuable.

Good point.... I guess one could always trade it for food or gasoline if the SHTF.

AHFox

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is why we have such a shortage of ammo. Many think they half to have a 100,000 rounds of ammo before the feel all warm and fuzzy inside. IMO it's dumb. We are our own worst enemy. The manufactures can't keep up and keep the quaility control. So they can simply increase their prices.

BF4L

Black/Gold Glasses
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,520.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is why we have such a shortage of ammo. Many think they half to have a 100,000 rounds of ammo before the feel all warm and fuzzy inside. IMO it's dumb. We are our own worst enemy. The manufactures can't keep up and keep the quaility control. So they can simply increase their prices.

I had my ammo far before this latest scare came about. I also purchased 99% on very good sales. So not sure what your point is.

Also it is not the manufactures that are increasing the prices it is the stores.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would think the billion rounds purchased by the DHS in the last year might have more to do with it, than some lowly prepper? :noidea:

AHFox

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had my ammo far before this latest scare came about. I also purchased 99% on very good sales. So not sure what your point is.

Also it is not the manufactures that are increasing the prices it is the stores.

Some stores will do that but remember we are talking supply and demand and demand is higher then supply. Manufacturers have every right to increase prices believe me they do in such times. I reload so the ammo issue to me is not the issue. I just find it out right dumb for people to go into stores and buy 20,000 rounds of ammo at one time. Thinking they need all of it when the fact of the matter they typically only shoot 300 to 500 rounds a year. They buy out of fear and yes this does make the prices go up both by retailers and manufactures.

BF4L

Black/Gold Glasses
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,520.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some stores will do that but remember we are talking supply and demand and demand is higher then supply. Manufacturers have every right to increase prices believe me they do in such times. I reload so the ammo issue to me is not the issue. I just find it out right dumb for people to go into stores and buy 20,000 rounds of ammo at one time. Thinking they need all of it when the fact of the matter they typically only shoot 300 to 500 rounds a year. They buy out of fear and yes this does make the prices go up both by retailers and manufactures.

Fair enough. I agree as well. I reload myself so ammo is not a major concern to me.

My point was probably 90% of my ammo was purchased during "normal" times and on sale.
I would think the billion rounds purchased by the DHS in the last year might have more to do with it, than some lowly prepper? :noidea:

The again I am just a lowly prepper

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
eh, I was just trying to make a point bruin. yer stockpile is certainly "lowly" when compared to theirs(DHS)

You should stop worrying how others identify you....fuck them.

BF4L

Black/Gold Glasses
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,520.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
eh, I was just trying to make a point bruin. yer stockpile is certainly "lowly" when compared to theirs(DHS)

You should stop worrying how others identify you....fuck them.

I guess your right. After be berated so much I probably am on the defensive. I apologize.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WTF, when I was in Boy Scouts, being prepared, was the first thing taught??? :noidea:

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we were neighbors, I'd share my food storage with ya, if you'll shoot all the zombies?

I got years worth of canned goods from the garden.

BF4L

Black/Gold Glasses
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,520.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My 3 closest friends prep as well. Not to go into too many details but as a group we probably have enough supplies to last for a very long time. If the SHTF I will be no where near Boston MA.