• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Iowa @ Wisconsin

hoopsalot25

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Iowa looked pretty good in the first half. Foul calling is a lot off tonight. Marble trying to make the all-fancy-fumble team that the B1G has for moronic players. Hopefully, Iowa can get hot here in the second half. Little slow coming out of the locker room.

hoopsalot25

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Iowa can't buy a bucket but sure are going up soft on their shots. Fran just got ejected! Can't wait to see how the Iowa players react from here on out.

hoopsalot25

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Totally tanked the 2nd half.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fran gave them 4 free points in a game we lost by 4. I love his passion but you cant do that on the road vs a top 5 team

Hawkeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hard not to tank when the 6th man allows a team that shot 22 3's and only 31 other shots to get 35 FT attempts...no fouls on 3's but 35 FT's on 31 shots? that's nuts, and Fran, wow, his T's made up the difference in the score, but he was right, Olesani was totally robbed, but that is home town reffing...the KU SDSU game today was much worse, SDSU looked wrong at a KU player and it was a foul...refs are just getting progressively more horrible these days. Bottom line is on the road, you have to take your lumps and play even better to win the game, you are playing 5 on 8 most nights on the road.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hawkeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do feel the BTN announcer was certainly pro Wisconsin, nothing neutral about him at all.

hoopsalot25

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Given Fran's reaction and the lead with the free throws. This game was lost by Iowa's players missing bunnies and layups all night. Make have of those point blank shots and this is a route.

Additionally, three Wisconsin players with 4 fouls and Iowa runs zero iso's to get those guys out of the game.

And the missed freethrows. another killer tonight.

Iowa should be undefeated!!!

Hawkeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
true, although the more I watched the video, I am not sure why he got the second one, everyone says he bumped the ref, looked to me the ref reached out just as much to cause the contact. When a guy is that hot, you need to know as a ref to let him rant and know he is blowing off steam. If he doesn't curse out your grandmother, then just let him go and walk away, instead this ref kept right at Fran and then T'd him up for the 2nd. Not that Fran doesn't have any culpability here, it was his fault, but that other ref needs some coaching on these situations.

Clemenza

Capo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I absolutely wholeheartedly support Fran and his tirade because I was feeling the same way at that point in the game. Bad call after bad call. The basket interference call on the Olaseni tip-in proved that the refs either had an agenda or, worse yet, were too incompetent to call a game at that level. The crew should have been assigned to a high school JV game last night instead.

Beyond the horseshit officiating, I think we played well overall, but as with the other 2 losses just didn't seem to get it done when it mattered most. Too many turnovers, more missed free throws, we get the ball into the hands of guys who shouldn't be touching it with under 2 minutes to play (Woodbury, Olaseni)....just bad decision making and the coaching staff needs to start calling timeouts and INSTRUCTING these kids exactly what needs to be done with the ball at these critical points in the game because they clearly lose their collective heads for whatever reason when it counts most.

hoopsalot25

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clem,

I disagree with you a little in regards to Fran's tirade and his second T. One gets the refs attention...and that of your players. Bumping the other official's arm crossed the line. I don't think he needed to go that far to get his point across. Getting T'd up can be a very good strategy to wake up officials and players. Getting tossed did more harm than good.

I haven't heard yet if the B1G office is going to impose a penalty against Fran...or come down on the officials for their poor performance. I would guess Fran has to sit out a game or two and the officials would also face some sort of punishment.

Getting back to the game, this Iowa team needs to hurry up and fix a number of problems:
1) Gesell must make every layup he takes in game situations.
2) Woodbury must learn to dunk the ball from point blank.
3) Marble must not disappear in games and stop flopping on his shots hoping to get a call.
4) The team must make freethrows.
5) The team must take care of the ball.
6) This is an athletic team that needs to be able to grind out points in the post. So, run ISO's for White or Utoff.
7) Coaches must call sets that attack our opponents that are in foul trouble during games.

This is the third game that Iowa has given away. And reminds me of last years' team.

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know why we stopped getting the ball to White. Down the stretch, he was our hot shooter. Big missed free throws late again too.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clem,

I disagree with you a little in regards to Fran's tirade and his second T. One gets the refs attention...and that of your players. Bumping the other official's arm crossed the line. I don't think he needed to go that far to get his point across. Getting T'd up can be a very good strategy to wake up officials and players. Getting tossed did more harm than good.

I haven't heard yet if the B1G office is going to impose a penalty against Fran...or come down on the officials for their poor performance. I would guess Fran has to sit out a game or two and the officials would also face some sort of punishment.

Getting back to the game, this Iowa team needs to hurry up and fix a number of problems:
1) Gesell must make every layup he takes in game situations.
2) Woodbury must learn to dunk the ball from point blank.
3) Marble must not disappear in games and stop flopping on his shots hoping to get a call.
4) The team must make freethrows.
5) The team must take care of the ball.
6) This is an athletic team that needs to be able to grind out points in the post. So, run ISO's for White or Utoff.
7) Coaches must call sets that attack our opponents that are in foul trouble during games.

This is the third game that Iowa has given away. And reminds me of last years' team.

Gessell played like shit and has since he missed the 2 FTs against ISU, we may be better with Clemmons starting for a bit. I dont think Woodbury can dunk... Has he ever dunked that you can remember?? I sure cant. Marble??? He played great. Not sure what more he needs to do than drop 27 points. FT's werent great last night but we still made almost 70% so its getting better. We only had 10 turnovers, for a team that plays at our pace that is more than acceptable. ISO's are an OK idea occassionally but Iowas offense is predicated on movement and running too many of them is just going to bog shit down IMO. Not sure why we didnt attack the guys with 4 fouls but even if we would have Im 100% sure we wouldnt have gotten the calls to foul them out last night.

Get this... Wisconsin shot 31 2 pt shots. 6 of them were blocked meaning the Badgers had 25 2 pt shots that hit the rim yet they still SHOT 35 FTS's!!! Thats insane. Basically Iowa got called for a foul on over 1/2 of Wisconsins possesions where they didnt shoot a 3 or get their shot blocked. Now I dont usually complain about the officiating because I fully expect home teams to get calls but Iowa shot 2x as many 2 point shots as the Badgers and Iowa is bigger and longer than the Badgers yet we got called for the same amount of fouls??? Thats crazy.

Clemenza

Capo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He never bumped into the ref, the ref put his arm out and it hit Fran and he flailed away almost as if he purposely initiated contact with Fran. It was a joke. Beyond that, it isn't like Fran can control the referee's reaction to his yelling. I've seen far far worse that never even garnered a T before.

But your observations are spot on. "Make free throws" "Take care of the ball". BTW, the Earth is also round.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is funny shit! Iowa has lost 3 close games (non at home) to teams all ranked in the top 9, but Iowa has to fix things and fix things fast!
"This is the third game that Iowa has given away. And reminds me of last years' team." This may be the funniest quote of the year!
You guys crack me up with the panic. I support Fran freaking out 100% and that was not why Iowa lost, nor is one play, call or event in any game. Example: RDM hits a 3 late in the game to pull Iowa within one point, Wisconsin misses a jumper, gets an offensive rebound and hits a 3 to go up 4. To me, that was a bigger turn in events than Fran getting rung up.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is funny shit! Iowa has lost 3 close games (non at home) to teams all ranked in the top 9, but Iowa has to fix things and fix things fast!
"This is the third game that Iowa has given away. And reminds me of last years' team." This may be the funniest quote of the year!
You guys crack me up with the panic. I support Fran freaking out 100% and that was not why Iowa lost, nor is one play, call or event in any game. Example: RDM hits a 3 late in the game to pull Iowa within one point, Wisconsin misses a jumper, gets an offensive rebound and hits a 3 to go up 4. To me, that was a bigger turn in events than Fran getting rung up.

Fran is passionate but he has to be smarter than what he was last night. You cant give 4 free points away to a team that rarely ever loses at home. The first T is fine, the second is not. The last time Fran got ejected was in 2011 at UNI when Iowa and the Panthers were tied. Iowa lost by 20. He gets ejected last night when we lead and we lose again. If he is looking to inspire the team getting the boot clearly isnt working.

Clemenza

Capo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fran was angry and deservedly so, I'm not going to hold that against him. He's passionate and was defending his team, he wasn't choking his players or throwing a chair across the court. Look at the replay and you'll see that referee stuck his arm out into Fran and that's what garnered the 2nd T, nothing that Fran said or did caused it. I disagree completely with everyone saying Fran cost them that game. I think in the end Wisky and Brust hit some really big shots and Iowa just didn't have an answer for that. It will be a different story when they come to Carver.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fran was angry and deservedly so, I'm not going to hold that against him. He's passionate and was defending his team, he wasn't choking his players or throwing a chair across the court. Look at the replay and you'll see that referee stuck his arm out into Fran and that's what garnered the 2nd T, nothing that Fran said or did caused it. I disagree completely with everyone saying Fran cost them that game. I think in the end Wisky and Brust hit some really big shots and Iowa just didn't have an answer for that. It will be a different story when they come to Carver.

I dont think it COST them the game Clem but when your last 6 meetings with a team have been decided by 4 points or less you probably shouldnt give the other team 4 free points even if you are 100% right to be pissed ( as Fran was )

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I agree with rmilia, you need to keep your head. Fran's fit was no different than Bo Pelini's when we played them. Getting pissed is one thing, but the fit he threw is another. I get trying to get your kids fired up, but to get the boot in that game may not have lost the game, but it sure didn't help win it either.

Clemenza

Capo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beating a dead horse here but I just think you all need to re-visit that replay and tell me what Fran did to get the 2nd T. He's now been suspended for the next game so somebody somewhere must think he initiated contact....I guess I don't agree after looking at the replay a few times.