• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Improbable but not impossible

DALLAScornhusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This fantasy stuff really is a giant crapshoot. Been playing roughly 13 years but I've never had a season like I had last year. Thought I'd share it with whomever cares to read it.

Looking back at last year, I drafted about as bad as you could possibly draft. Of course I felt great about it at the time, that usually seals the deal that I'm going to have a horrible year. Turned out that was only half right. My team struggled but not in the way I figured it would. In the draft, I went RB heavy, more than I typically do for this 0.5 point ppr league. I wanted a surplus of RBs so I could sell them off as the season rolled along. This is who I ended up drafting: (wish I was joking)

1. AP
2. Montee Ball
3. Antonio Brown
4. Ray Rice
5. Rashad Jennings

At this point, I should tell you that I won this league. And right about now you must be thinking I nailed the rest of my draft. Nope, I hit about 50-50 or worse.

6. Tom Brady
7. Marquis Colston
8. Andre Williams

So I've got to be lying about winning this league right? I mean Brady stunk so bad I dropped him around week three. Colston wasn't long after that. Andre I foolishly let go right before Jennings had his first injury around week 5 or 6. So out of my top 8 picks, I'm playing 1 guy after Jennings went down.

9. Fred Jackson
10. Kelvin Benjamin

Based on ADP at the time, I drafted Benji about a round early. I just had the gut feeling and it paid off. I remember sitting at the draft in the 9th thinking aloud why hasn't anyone picked Fred Jackson yet? I was real close to passing on him too. I had already drafted 5 RBs in the top 8 rounds. Thankfully, I took him because between him and Chris Ivory waiver wire, I would've been toast.

11. Justin Hunter
12. Charles Clay
13. Big Ben
14. Steelers D
15. Whichever Lions kicker started the season

So now you're waiting for the list of FA that filled out this craphole team. It's a pretty good list and due to timing I was able to snag them at just the right time.
Tony Romo, Chris Ivory, Mike Evans, Delanie Walker, Seattle Defense (yes THAT Seattle D), and for a few weeks Ronnie Hillman.

I cycled through QBs after Brady. Picked Romo up and alternated him with the likes of Kirk Cousins, Dirty Sanchez and Flacco. My RBs were in shambles by week 3. I had never been so pissed about player conduct that I wanted to stop playing fantasy all togther. But yet, there was a glimmer of hope. My WRs were thin, but carrying me. Dropped Colston and picked up Evans (and through injuries had to put him in my flex) just before his three week binge of 30 pointers.

So, I guess the moral of the story if there is one - fantasy seasons can be salvaged, even when it looks bleak and you want to bury your head in the sand. Draft who you want to draft, whenever you want to draft them. Hope for a bit of luck and don't give up. Doing the improbable is not impossible.

DALLAScornhusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forgot about Jonathan Stewart. I picked him up around their bye week and played him through the playoffs. One of the best moves I did.