• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I'm Back

Ryanballa

Reds Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow! Well this has been a slow off season. Other then a crap ton of talk about BP, Homer, and trading Hanigan nothing has really happen on the roster front. But something that has happen is we have a entire new coaching staff, the only coach that will be returning that was here last year is Billy Hatcher coaching 1st. But there is plenty of time for our Reds to do something,but if they dont I still love our team. Our rotation is best in division, and id say our bullpen is too. But i cant wait til Spring Training.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have seen nothing but doom and gloom from Reds fans over the lack of activity, as if Grady Sizemore was key to a parade or something.

So while I thought the 2013 team was sloppy and undermanaged, I think this year's version is going to surprise a lot of people.

Ryanballa

Reds Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree 100% with you John. Nobody is giving this team enough credit. Everybody is looking on what we havent done, and not looking on what we already have.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've always been a fundamentals first guy- first start with pitching and defense, don't hurt yourself and make fewer mistakes than the opposition...then score enough to win. My theory comes from believing that staying in the game as long as possible improves chances of winning...contrary to Dusty's one big inning theory. Small park GABP theory has always been to pull the ball first, and patch pitching together, until recent years, when Price arrived and pitching and D were priorities.

Nothing wrong with homers, but Reds bats go silent alot in larger parks. At least with Hamilton (if he can get on base) they can take advantage of the fact that the distance between bases is the same in every park. People are usually skeptical of change, as many Reds fans were when they started trying to win with pitching in the small park, so I suppose there are lots of doubters about speed too. I wish the Reds had more speed- or at least tried to use what they have more. Maybe they will have to now, and if they can make a few less mistakes on the bases, improve contact at the plate, and keep up the pitching and D, they have a better than fair chance at being fun to watch. I won't miss Dusty, Jacoby, Berry, or the pace they professed. I'm aware of the impact loss of Choo and Arroyo, but hopeful it will open other opportunities for better philosophy downstream. There is still plenty of offense left that can improve. Votto may be a Famer, Bruce has improved every year and is a legit HR /RBI guy already. Phillips still has some gas in the tank. Frazier, Mesoraco and Cozart are young. How they improve is going to be critical. A lot rides on Hamilton, and people are going to have to be patient with him. Bailey was worth the wait, hopefully Hamilton will be too.

Ryanballa

Reds Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Went to the Reds Caravan today (also went to Redsfest) I asked Brian Price "Have you figured out who will be batting 4th?" His response "Yes, Ill have Bruce there against righty and Ludwick there against a lefty". I expected that response, I am not saying its bad for Ludwick to bat 4th. But I just feel its time to put and leave Bruce in the 4 hole.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Price and Walt are obviously convinced that Ludwick is sound again.
A reconstructed shoulder is always a red flag, though.
I assume these people have some idea of the process.

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reds fans should not be in despair for the lack of moves. Getting rid of the Lounge Lizard, known as DustMop, will be upgrade enough.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Losing Dusty didnt harm them. Losing the 2nd best OBP in the NL didn't make them better though. I can't remember a less likely Reds 4 hitter to pull his weight than Ryan Ludwick..and don't see the logic behind giving him the 4 spot over Bruce against lefty pitching, when Bruce hits for higher percentage against lefties, than Ludwick. Counting on Ludwick to repeat his 27 HR of 2 years ago is as thin as expecting Heisey to repeat the 21 he hit 3 years ago. IMO, it's falling back into the vacuum of Dusty's misguided mind.

It's a long time to opening day, and Price will have his hands full coming up with an offense by then. He needs to improve a lot- plate philosophy, baserunning, and how to get a LHSP in the rotation. The Cardinals aren't going away, and the Pirates are worthy. Reds can't afford to sit on their previous game plan, less one of their best hitters...hoping Ryan Ludwick is a answer is scary.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Basically the numbers have to add up to:

Ludwick and Hamilton being =/> than Choo and the LF mixture of last year.

Cueto being able to pitch more than 61 innings (Chapman pitched 63) and ...

Cingrani being =/> than Arroyo,

The rest of the system has to be pretty much up to normal.

I should add that the Reds are counting on Mesoraco getting more offense with more PT. Since he is a catcher, I am wary about attaching offense to that position, with notable historical exceptions.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I assume the Reds aren't finished with the roster, since they only have one guy that can play SS. Yes, I know Frazier started minor league ball as a SS, but every kid who's dad coaches his little league team can say that. Hannahan isn't a shortstop, even though he hits like one. I think r

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I suspect a signing of a SS resume to be released later at least. Mike Leake is probably #2 on the SS depth chart now.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder how far away LaMarre is ? He's 25. He's also a plus speed CF. just saying, if you are a LF bat making $9M, you might get to Memorial Day to get a hit and still keep your job...but if Hamilton goes 3/30, he might get sent back down. Heisey or Schumaker could take over in CF, but not sure that's a Plan B I expect to get to post season with.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last I heard on LaMarre was that he wasn't improving -- I attribute that to the front office burying its talent in the middle minors and signing marginal left fielders and Latin-speaking infielders who hit .180 and field .940.

I assume that for the moment, Billy Hamilton is the backup shortstop.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lamarre is probably the best defensive OF in the farm system, but as John mentioned, he's trending in the wrong direction offensively.

If he weren't eligible for the Rule 5 draft he wouldn't be on the 40 man roster. Every year teams DFA 4-5 players to make room for the new crop of players they wish to protect from the Rule 5 Draft. Putting him on the 40 man shows they haven't given up on him yet, but he'd better step it up if he wants to remain on the roster.

The Reds seem to be shying away from signing position player Article XX-B free agents to minor league deals this off season. Last year they signed Cesar Izturis and Miguel Olivo to such contracts. They kept Izturis and cut Olivo 5 days prior to Opening Day to avoid paying him the $100k retention bonus. They chose to save $100K and have no minor league depth at catcher last season. They look to be doing the same thing at SS this season.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scrap the Janish. We get Chris Nelson instead.
No, don't get real excited.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Janish signed with the Rockies

I'm not sure Chris Nelson can be considered a back up SS. He's terrible at SS, but he showed a pretty good bat before a bad 2013 MLB showing.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nelson solves no problems and Janish would not have either.

I would guess that Hen-Rod is equal to Nelson in almost all defensive categories -- and is a worse hitter. Once again, clogging up the farm system with guys who have nothing else to do but keep playing minor-league baseball.

I read somewhere that Nelson has 24 innings at SS in the big leagues.

Last edited by a moderator:

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Nelson is a 3b...he's played like, 3 games at SS in his career, but might still ge a better SS than Hamilton. I saw Hamilton in single-A, he split half the season as DH and still made 35 errors at SS. It's why he's a CF now. At any rate, Hannahan is regrettably still under contract, and it appears we now have too many non-MLB hitting backup 3b, and not enough backup middle infielders with a glove. Small potatoes if Cozart wants to start working on Ripken's consecutive game record.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also- Walt said he wasn't pursuing Nelson Cruz. Said he liked the team he has. He has more faith in Ludwick than I do...and there must be SOMETHING wrooong with Nelson Cruz, other than just the PED infraction- too much bat for too few suitors, IMO.