• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I wish we were in the AAC

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait.... There are Wake fans out there?

wake_is_great

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As everyone mentioned, Wake has more problems than just conference affiliation. When you are the smallest school in the FBS, you automatically are behind financially. This affects the ability to upgrade facilities, which in turn dramatically affects recruiting. Elite recruits want to play in front of a lot of people, both in the stands and on TV to promote them for the NFL. Trust me, I know what it's like to be happy pulling in 3 or maybe 4 star recruits and I think Grobe is a hell of a coach and is able to do the best he can with what he has to work with. But let's face it, Wake will never win a NC in football at this level. Hell, my Hokies still haven't and may never will with dramatically different recruiting compared to Wake. We still can't compete with FSU, Clemson, Miami, and even UNC for recruits just in the ACC, let alone the country.

While you think "dropping" to another conference that you think may be easier to win, it will actually have an even worse effect on your budget and recruiting. With TV deals and bowl game tie-ins, Wake is able to get their share of the money that the other higher profile ACC teams earn. Outside of alumni or local people in North Carolina, who would want to see a WF vs. Duke game on TV? Wake gets on TV because they play the bigger name schools within the ACC. Recruits want to be on TV and show what they can do against better competition.

Wake is lucky to be a part of the ACC at this time as a charter member. They were one of the first seven ACC schools and out of that original group, only five will be in the ACC next year (South Carolina left in '71 and Maryland at the end of this season). If Wake were not currently in the ACC now and wanted in, they pretty much would stand no chance to get in with the state of conference realignment.

I really like Wake and Grobe, but to be considered anything more than a spoiler team is pretty much zero (outside of the aforementioned ACC Championship you won recently).

It all comes down to money and even though you may be able to compete for a conference championship in a smaller conference, you would lose a ton of it.

This is the best post so far in this thread.

I agree we are lucky to be in the ACC right now especially since the way it has grown. I know how important financial income is for the University especially since only 5,000 undergrads pay tuition. It's just a struggle for true fans.