• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I am thankful that Tom Hicks

kennyt12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
did not fire JD. A lot of fans were calling for his head 4-5 years ago but Tom stuck with him either because he was too cheap to hire a GM or believed in JD. What ever the reason I'm glad he's still our GM and that we have a first class organization.

Tom's best hires were JD and Nolan. So for that I am thankful. We no longer have to deal with a pathetic ownership or front office. I love that we're now a first class organization.

In spite of Tom Hicks horrible ownership good things came from his era.

Ginger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The question I have is would the Rangers now be good if Hicks hadn't gotten himself tangled in such a financial mess? He was pretty content with overpaying for marginal players, trading off elite prospects for crap and just in general meddling with the team. Once his financials went downhill and they had to set a real budget then they actually started drafting good players and trying to build the right way.

I guess I am one of the only ones but Hicks always made me uneasy from day 1. I once read an article about the life cycle of bad owners and he basically fit it to a tee. Step by step he followed the bad owner recipe. And his debt ratio was just insane. Completely insane and compounded by that weird Liverpool acquisition. I knew we had a major problem when the guy openly talked about borrowing money so that he could sign free agents, usually the sucky ones at that.

But it turned out well simply because he had both Nolan and JD on board and they set the direction of the team and they were successful in spite of Hicks gross incompetence.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think a lot of fans were calling to fire him, just one very vocal guy who had "inside information".

kennyt12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
from what I remember all people were talking about were his horrible trades of Gonzalez and Danks. The Teix trade gave him a little more time until things really got turned around. I remember people on the espn board and newberg forum gave all the credit to Nolan Ryan for the turn around.

Ginger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have to think that Nolan came in and stabilized the situation which allowed JD to flourish. Before Nolan came along I desperately wanted JD to go away along with Hicks. He was pretty much too young and inexperienced and was unable to stand up to either Buck or Hicks and they both got what they wanted which is why Gonzales became a superstar elsewhere. I always thought that JD was going to get fired just as he was coming into his own and like Gonzales would be a superstar elsewhere. Thankfully, that didn't happen.

Laserman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think a lot of fans were calling to fire him, just one very vocal guy who had "inside information".

Oh yeah that "driving force" of the espn board.:ss: Should sum up what he always did.

Ginger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Scotsman, Fordman and Laserman I think it might be a tradition to head over to the Water Cooler (sports general board) which can be found on the All Sports Forum Tab if you scroll down a bit and introduce yourselves. The locals have been very friendly.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Scotsman, Fordman and Laserman I think it might be a tradition to head over to the Water Cooler (sports general board) which can be found on the All Sports Forum Tab if you scroll down a bit and introduce yourselves. The locals have been very friendly.

sounds good

Laserman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Will do thanks for the advice.

kennyt12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welcome aboard Scotsman. Hey Ginger what are you doing posting on the 49ers message board? I just noticed a message from you over there.

Ginger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welcome aboard Scotsman. Hey Ginger what are you doing posting on the 49ers message board? I just noticed a message from you over there.

Don't worry. I was just commenting on the ESPN thing. Definitely not a 49er fan. Cowboys and Chiefs are my two favorite teams. Not really into the Rams since they were in LA when I lived in MO.

:sorry:

kennyt12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't worry. I was just commenting on the ESPN thing. Definitely not a 49er fan. Cowboys and Chiefs are my two favorite teams. Not really into the Rams since they were in LA when I lived in MO.

:sorry:

Ok, just wondering. I'm actually a 49ers fan. The guys who post there are the ones who told me about sportshoopla.

Ginger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing wrong with being a 49ers fan I suppose. Actually, I always appreciated just how freaking good they played back in the 80's and 90's. Who is your coach this year? I really thought you guys should have kept Mike Singletary. Thought he was the bomb! LOL! Snicker!!

Anyway, since they aren't in the Cowboys or Chiefs division I don't root for or against them but it would be nice if them and the Cowboys would actually be good again.

Stinky Britches

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The question I have is would the Rangers now be good if Hicks hadn't gotten himself tangled in such a financial mess?

i wonder the same thing. could it have been a long term blessing in disguise. it sure brought out the creative juices in a learning young gm and john daniels.

only God knows.