• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How Vegas ranks top 25 CFB teams.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN Insider - How Vegas ranks top 25 CFB teams

Week 10 of the college football season is here, which brings the 10th edition of my weekly Vegas college football power rankings. I have nine sets of power ratings, and I will supply the one set that is closest to what Las Vegas uses. For comparison's sake, I also provide the ratings from the Westgate Las Vegas SuperBook, ESPN's FPI ratings and my average game grades from philsteele.com. These game grades take into account this year's stats (passing and rushing yards, offensive and defensive points and the strength of opponent played).

Without further ado, let's take a look at this week's top 25:

1. Alabama Crimson Tide (rating 144.5)

Alabama is a clear No. 1 in all four sets of power ratings and is coming off a bye, so there is no change. The Tide still have a three-point margin on Ohio State.

2. Ohio State Buckeyes (rating 141.3)

The Buckeyes needed a late comeback to beat Penn State at home and were favored by 6.5 points. Normally that would result in a drop in the ratings, but they held Penn State to a season low in yards and gained more yards than any other Penn State foe this season. They also remain No. 2 at Westgate and FPI.

3. Penn State Nittany Lions (rating 141.2)

Penn State led Ohio State in Columbus in the fourth quarter and lost by only one point but were outgained 529-283 with season worsts on offense and defense. They remain No. 3 in my ratings and No. 3 at FPI and Westgate.

4. Clemson Tigers (rating 138.3)

All of the power ratings had the Tigers at No. 4 last week, and they led 24-3 before giving up a "meaningless" touchdown at the end to "only" win by 14. Clemson was expected to win by two scores, keeping its power rating the same. The Tigers moved down to No. 6 in FPI, however.

5. Georgia Bulldogs (rating 138.0)

Georgia was favored by 14 last week but beat down Florida 42-7, so the Bulldogs climb in the ratings and jump past Oklahoma. They are No. 5 in FPI and No. 6 in my average game grades, while Westgate has them at No. 7.

6. Oklahoma Sooners (rating 135.6)

For the second straight week, Oklahoma won by the margin forecasted by the ratings, so it remained at 135.6. The Sooners are No. 5 at Westgate, and my average game grade ratings have them at No. 7. FPI has them at No. 8.

7. Oklahoma State Cowboys (rating 134.5)

Oklahoma State was favored by 7.5 on the road over West Virginia and led 50-31 late in the contest. A Mountaineers touchdown cut the margin to 11, so the rating didn't move up all that much, but it was enough to move the Cowboys up to No. 7. Westgate has them at No. 6, my average game grades have them at No. 4 and FPI has them at No. 10.

8. Notre Dame Fighting Irish (rating 134.4)

The Irish were favored by 7 last week, but my Vegas power ratings actually had them favored by 10.9. They got an impressive 35-14 win over NC State and moved past a slipping Wisconsin. Westgate has them at No. 9, my game grades have them at No. 5 and FPI has them at No. 4.

9. Wisconsin Badgers (rating 133.8)

Wisconsin had a 134.2 rating last week and beat Illinois 24-10, but the Badgers drop because they were favored by 28. They are No. 8 at Westgate, No. 7 in FPI and only No. 15 in my average game grades.

10. Auburn Tigers (rating 133.7)

The Tigers were No. 8 at Westgate last week, but even coming off a bye they were passed up and are now No. 11 there. FPI and my average game grades have them at No. 9.

11. Washington Huskies (rating 132.6)

The Huskies were favored by 17.5 last week and won by 21, so they move up a couple of decimal points. Washington is No. 10 at Westgate and No. 7 at FPI.

12. TCU Horned Frogs (rating 132.2)

The Frogs lost at Iowa State last week and drop out of the top 10 -- but they did not drop far. They are also No. 12 at Westgate and rank No. 10 in FPI and No. 12 in my game grades.

13. Virginia Tech Hokies (rating 130.3)

Virginia Tech was supposed to win by 17.5 and won by 21, so it moves up slightly in the ratings. The Hokies are No. 13 at Westgate and No. 13 in FPI.

14. USC Trojans (rating 130.2)

Westgate had it right, as it had the Trojans at No. 18 last week, and my Vegas ratings only had them at No. 23. USC was a 3-point favorite and won in the desert at Arizona State by a final score of 48-17. Westgate has the Trojans at No. 15, and FPI and my game grades have them 17th.

15. Michigan Wolverines (rating 127.4)

Michigan was expected to win by 23 last week and won by 21, with a missed field goal. It moves up a couple of decimal points with the emergence of Brandon Peters at quarterback. Westgate has the Wolverines at No. 14, and FPI has them only at No. 24.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
16. Stanford Cardinal (rating 127.3)

Stanford was the highest rated two-loss team last week. The Cardinal sat running back Bryce Love versus Oregon State and nearly lost outright as a 21-point favorite. Westgate has them at No. 17 and FPI has them at No. 14.

17. Texas Longhorns (rating 127.1)

The AP will not have a four-loss team anywhere near the top 25, but these are the Vegas ratings, so the Longhorns make the list. Texas has had six impressive games in a row and only lost to USC by 3 on the road, to Oklahoma by 5 and to Oklahoma State by 3; all three foes are higher in these ratings. Westgate has the Longhorns at No. 16, my game grades have them at No. 17 and FPI has them at No. 20.

18. Miami Hurricanes (rating 127.0)

The Hurricanes were favored by 21 last week, but another close win has this undefeated team dropping in the ratings again and an underdog at home to Virginia Tech. They are just No. 22 at Westgate and No. 16 at FPI.

19. UCF Knights (rating 126.8)

UCF continues to win and win big, and the Knights are perfect versus the Vegas number in games against FBS teams, which is huge. Last week my ratings had UCF winning by 40, and they beat Austin Peay by 40, so they remain the same. Westgate has them at No. 19 and FPI at No. 20.

20. LSU Tigers (rating 126.7)

LSU had three straight impressive games prior to their bye. Westgate has it at No. 20 and FPI has it at No. 21. LSU gets Alabama this week and is a three-touchdown underdog, which matches up with what these ratings would project.

21. Mississippi State Bulldogs (rating 126.5)

The Bulldogs were one-point favorites but crushed Texas A&M 35-14. They jump up from No. 25. Westgate has them at No. 21 and FPI has them up at No. 15, and my average game grades have them even higher, at No. 12.

22. NC State Wolfpack (rating 126.3)

The Wolfpack's national title hopes basically ended with a 21-point road loss to Notre Dame, but they can take charge of the ACC with a win over Clemson at home this week. Westgate has them at No. 19, and they are No. 18 in FPI.

23. Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets (rating 125.9)

Georgia Tech has some close calls on its schedule, as it lost to Tennessee in overtime and to Miami on a field goal with four seconds left. The Yellow Jackets trailed Clemson 24-3 but got a late touchdown, which kept their ratings the same. They are No. 23 at Westgate and FPI.

24. Iowa State Cyclones (rating 125.5)

The Cyclones lost to Iowa and Texas, a couple of teams with four losses, and both contests were close. With Kyle Kempt at QB, Iowa State has four impressive wins, upsetting both Oklahoma and TCU. Westgate has the Cyclones at No. 26, with my game grades at No. 24 and FPI at No.25.

25. Arizona Wildcats (rating 125.1)

I recently participated in the Maxwell Award semifinalist conference call, and Khalil Tate made the list after just four starts. That's just how dominant he has been. He is the type of quarterback who makes a Rich Rodriguez offense thrive. The Wildcats are only No. 28 at Westgate and No. 29 at FPI, but they are a 7-point underdog at USC, which is close to what these ratings would forecast.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vegas don't know shit. They just make a shit pot full of money doing this.

And I've been a willing contributor to Vegas many times. (I'm sure I've purchased some of those fancy signs.) And they've been a bunch of tightwads in reciprocating such benevolence. Best I can figure, I donate to them 3-4 times for every single time they donate to me. And my contributions seem to be larger to them than their's are to me.

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welp, now we know which way the refs will be calling the games for the house.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless we played shitty Ohio State. They'll never beat us in an eternity.

Whatever makes you sleep at night...

7z4YKTd.gif

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That list looks pretty good. Maybe Georgia and Notre Dame should be higher.

tnapucco

Fair as fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 17,999.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN Insider - How Vegas ranks top 25 CFB teams

Week 10 of the college football season is here, which brings the 10th edition of my weekly Vegas college football power rankings. I have nine sets of power ratings, and I will supply the one set that is closest to what Las Vegas uses. For comparison's sake, I also provide the ratings from the Westgate Las Vegas SuperBook, ESPN's FPI ratings and my average game grades from philsteele.com. These game grades take into account this year's stats (passing and rushing yards, offensive and defensive points and the strength of opponent played).

Without further ado, let's take a look at this week's top 25:

1. Alabama Crimson Tide (rating 144.5)

Alabama is a clear No. 1 in all four sets of power ratings and is coming off a bye, so there is no change. The Tide still have a three-point margin on Ohio State.

2. Ohio State Buckeyes (rating 141.3)

The Buckeyes needed a late comeback to beat Penn State at home and were favored by 6.5 points. Normally that would result in a drop in the ratings, but they held Penn State to a season low in yards and gained more yards than any other Penn State foe this season. They also remain No. 2 at Westgate and FPI.

3. Penn State Nittany Lions (rating 141.2)

Penn State led Ohio State in Columbus in the fourth quarter and lost by only one point but were outgained 529-283 with season worsts on offense and defense. They remain No. 3 in my ratings and No. 3 at FPI and Westgate.

4. Clemson Tigers (rating 138.3)

All of the power ratings had the Tigers at No. 4 last week, and they led 24-3 before giving up a "meaningless" touchdown at the end to "only" win by 14. Clemson was expected to win by two scores, keeping its power rating the same. The Tigers moved down to No. 6 in FPI, however.

5. Georgia Bulldogs (rating 138.0)

Georgia was favored by 14 last week but beat down Florida 42-7, so the Bulldogs climb in the ratings and jump past Oklahoma. They are No. 5 in FPI and No. 6 in my average game grades, while Westgate has them at No. 7.

6. Oklahoma Sooners (rating 135.6)

For the second straight week, Oklahoma won by the margin forecasted by the ratings, so it remained at 135.6. The Sooners are No. 5 at Westgate, and my average game grade ratings have them at No. 7. FPI has them at No. 8.

7. Oklahoma State Cowboys (rating 134.5)

Oklahoma State was favored by 7.5 on the road over West Virginia and led 50-31 late in the contest. A Mountaineers touchdown cut the margin to 11, so the rating didn't move up all that much, but it was enough to move the Cowboys up to No. 7. Westgate has them at No. 6, my average game grades have them at No. 4 and FPI has them at No. 10.

8. Notre Dame Fighting Irish (rating 134.4)

The Irish were favored by 7 last week, but my Vegas power ratings actually had them favored by 10.9. They got an impressive 35-14 win over NC State and moved past a slipping Wisconsin. Westgate has them at No. 9, my game grades have them at No. 5 and FPI has them at No. 4.

9. Wisconsin Badgers (rating 133.8)

Wisconsin had a 134.2 rating last week and beat Illinois 24-10, but the Badgers drop because they were favored by 28. They are No. 8 at Westgate, No. 7 in FPI and only No. 15 in my average game grades.

10. Auburn Tigers (rating 133.7)

The Tigers were No. 8 at Westgate last week, but even coming off a bye they were passed up and are now No. 11 there. FPI and my average game grades have them at No. 9.

11. Washington Huskies (rating 132.6)

The Huskies were favored by 17.5 last week and won by 21, so they move up a couple of decimal points. Washington is No. 10 at Westgate and No. 7 at FPI.

12. TCU Horned Frogs (rating 132.2)

The Frogs lost at Iowa State last week and drop out of the top 10 -- but they did not drop far. They are also No. 12 at Westgate and rank No. 10 in FPI and No. 12 in my game grades.

13. Virginia Tech Hokies (rating 130.3)

Virginia Tech was supposed to win by 17.5 and won by 21, so it moves up slightly in the ratings. The Hokies are No. 13 at Westgate and No. 13 in FPI.

14. USC Trojans (rating 130.2)

Westgate had it right, as it had the Trojans at No. 18 last week, and my Vegas ratings only had them at No. 23. USC was a 3-point favorite and won in the desert at Arizona State by a final score of 48-17. Westgate has the Trojans at No. 15, and FPI and my game grades have them 17th.

15. Michigan Wolverines (rating 127.4)

Michigan was expected to win by 23 last week and won by 21, with a missed field goal. It moves up a couple of decimal points with the emergence of Brandon Peters at quarterback. Westgate has the Wolverines at No. 14, and FPI has them only at No. 24.
Well....they got Wisconsin right at least.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is this based on how teams do against the spread?

Georgia has only failed to cover twice this season, in games they won by 28 and 25 points respectively.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is this based on how teams do against the spread?

Georgia has only failed to cover twice this season, in games they won by 28 and 25 points respectively.
Basically it's their rankings of which teams would be favored on a neutral field vs other teams in the country

tnapucco

Fair as fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 17,999.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you actually give ESPN money?

PIBuckeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hey, OSU would be more than happy to play you, just make it to an upper tier bowl at the end of the season and we'll kick your ass.....

So, we'll see you in what, 10-12 more years?

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, OSU would be more than happy to play you, just make it to an upper tier bowl at the end of the season and we'll kick your ass.....

So, we'll see you in what, 10-12 months?

FIFY

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Make it to the playoffs or a NY day bowl and we can see how shitty they are vs. FL