• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How bad are Ackley/Smoak/Miller/Zunino at home?

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Warning: This thread is rated 'V' for vomit. This thread is not for those with a weak stomach. If you have a full stomach you might want to wait until you've digested before reading any further.

Ackley has hit safely in only 18 of the 44 games he has played at home. His home slash line is: .185/.241/.304/.545

Smoak has hit safely in only 12 of the 31 games he has played at home. His home slash line is: .156/.227/.303/.530

Miller has hit safely in only 17 of the 39 games he has played at home. His home slash line is: .159/.213/.286/.499

Zunino has hit safely in only 20 of the 43 games he has played at home. His home slash line is: .186/.248/.371/.620

These four starters have combined to hit safely in 67 of 157 home games.

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
damn, that's bad. I'm still willing to give Miller and Zunino some more time.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
damn, that's bad. I'm still willing to give Miller and Zunino some more time.

They both do deserve more time, but I'm not sure you give it to them unconditionally when you are in a playoff race and 64 games from the finish line.

Miller had a very good month in June. But, since June 28th he has regressed back to bad Brad again. He's only 10-56 (.179 BA) in that time span.

Zunino is hitting .185 at home and .165 against right handed pitching. So, ideally he would not start at home when the opposong pitcher is a righthander. Unfortunately, the Mariners world is not ideal and he will continue to get starts in which he is offensively grossly overmatched.

Nothing new about Smoak and Ackley. We've known for a couple years now that they can't hit in Safeco. They will ultimately be traded. If their respective road stats are any indication, they will end up having serviceable if unspectacular careers somewhere else.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont understand it. Sure they're power numbers should be down, but how in the hell does the fences or the marine layer effect a line drive up the middle? or a opposite field looper. or a pull down the line.

If anything you would think the spacious outfield should lead to more hits. Lots of ground needed to be covered out there. ...

my mind is boggled.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zunino is an excellent defensive catcher would handles the staff well and steals strikes, so I'm happy with his offense in exchange for the defense. Sure, I'd love to see his offensive number go up, but for him I'm not too concerned. He does need to stay in that #8 spot.

Miller is another story. Not only should he be hitting better, but his defense doesn't justify him being in the lineup with such poor production. If Franklin isn't an option, then plug in Willie as the starter and let Miller fill in Willie's role, or trade for someone better.

Ackley is another guy who should have better hitting numbers than he does (based on talent) and I just don't know why it seems that he loses his confidence at the drop of a hat. He's a good enough defensive second baseman that he could have some value for other teams, I think a change of scenery will be great for him (and then M's fans will be complaining that he sucked here).

Smoak seems to be completely flustered by the shift. He's been burned by it so much, that he's trying too hard to beat it, which causes him to play right into the other team's hand. He abandoned the shorter swing he started with this season and has resorted to trying to kill every pitch he swings at, which has caused him to be behind some really driveable pitches, and he rolls over on pitches he should be fending off. When he got here I had great hopes he'd turn into a .280 40 2b 20 HR guy, but now I'd just be happy with .250 20/20.