• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Home Against the Astros April 20th-22nd

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Omg this umpire

Itsmytime

I love Beer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 6.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I seriously think umpires need to be scrutinized for inconsistencies. Like a performance review every so often.

I mean there is a reason why in 2005 he was named the WORST umpire in baseball by 550 players that were surveyed by SI.

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, it has taken less than a month for the apathy to kick in, I can feel it and you can see it in the stadium

Itsmytime

I love Beer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 6.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will continue to hope they turn it around, but that is quickly changing.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
awful

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We've played 7 series against the Astros at Safeco since they joined the division. We have won just one of those

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
M's need to stop these dam HUGE innings they keep giving up ... Our effin bullpen is suppose to be the strong point on this team and they can't hold SHIT down ....

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
bullpen success is ephemeral from year to year. even more so when you're talking about a historic performance like out pen had last season.

it was a gift we saw last year night in and out, and a borderline miracle.

it doesn't make me feel any better, but that's just how it is.

Itsmytime

I love Beer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 6.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It also doesn't help that the bullpen has been seriously overworked.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
bullpen success is ephemeral from year to year. even more so when you're talking about a historic performance like out pen had last season.

it was a gift we saw last year night in and out, and a borderline miracle.

it doesn't make me feel any better, but that's just how it is.
Hard to properly gauge this years pen when they are being overused day in and day out because of horrible starts. I mean people are giving Walker praise for making it 5.1 ffs.

No, I'm not saying they haven't sucked and aren't as sharp as we expected, but would they be this bad if they had any help outside of Felix and Happ? It's the equivalent to running Erasmo Ramírez out last year 3 of every 5 starts. That pen would have suffered too.

Doubt anyone really expected this staff to be as solid as last year, but no one expected this much drop off either.

McClendon has his hands full trying to right this ship. No doubt about that.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The obvious glaring problem is that the bullpen has been overworked because none of the starters right now besides Felix is capable of reaching the 6th or 7th inning. These guys need to step up or it'll get a lot worse.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody on here needs to be told what game we're on or what percentage of the season we're in.

Starters need to pick up their games for sure.

What I said about bullpens isn't subject to debate. The pen was relied on just as much or more last year right from the get go, and were immaculate. That work early on and throughout the rest of the season was literally the only reason the team was in a race for a wild card by the end of the year.

Pen success is fleeting/ephemeral/however you want to put it. It's just the way baseball goes. I like our guys, and think they'll do a lot better, especially if starters do their jobs better as others have talked about on here...but I expect them to blow quite a few more leads this year than they did in the amazing season we had last year.

I think we're 2-3 weeks away from some roster moves being made that are going to solidify the offense.

Nothing I'm saying is coming from a place of negativity about the team. I'm really looking forward to seeing how things play out.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to properly gauge this years pen when they are being overused day in and day out because of horrible starts. I mean people are giving Walker praise for making it 5.1 ffs.

Yea I was surprised LMC praised him as much as he did. Maybe he just really wanted to give a shaken guy some confidence. Really he only recorded 4 more outs then his last start. He was also facing a lineup that Ks as much as Zunino. He still walked 5 guys which is the same issue he had most of the last year. It's getting closer to point where it's not a small sample size. Still only one really good start in the big leagues

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have nothing positive to say.

Cano with another base running blunder! Dude you have the hottest batter in the league up with a runner on second who advanced to third. Plant your happy ass at first and let the boom stick swing.

He gets tossed at second, relieves alot of pressure and the pitcher is able to get cruz out. Even if cruz still gets out, you now have Seags up with guys at first and 3rd. When will our 240 million dollar man learn how to run the damn bases.

I said it yesterday, i said it in the bullpen thread and ill say it here again, the pen needs another arm. the short pen doesn't work when your starters aren't going deep. Plus your not even running your platoon, your playing cruz in right, so why do you have two right handed outfield bench players????

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have nothing positive to say.

Cano with another base running blunder! Dude you have the hottest batter in the league up with a runner on second who advanced to third. Plant your happy ass at first and let the boom stick swing.

He gets tossed at second, relieves alot of pressure and the pitcher is able to get cruz out. Even if cruz still gets out, you now have Seags up with guys at first and 3rd. When will our 240 million dollar man learn how to run the damn bases.

I said it yesterday, i said it in the bullpen thread and ill say it here again, the pen needs another arm. the short pen doesn't work when your starters aren't going deep. Plus your not even running your platoon, your playing cruz in right, so why do you have two right handed outfield bench players????
bartender will be back soon

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team so far is reminding me of quite a few of the old M's teams from the Kingdome days. Mostly shitty pitching struggling to reach the 7th inning, overtaxed pen where the skipper has to more or less throw darts at a board to guess who might not fuck up more than select guys for situationals, and a batting lineup with a few dangerous hitters surrounded by complete duds. Each frustrating part seems to feed the others. Leads to bad base running, fielding errors, and other forms of concentration or over trying errors.

They started off slow last year and had similar issues. Yeah, different, but similar none the less.

Really sucks to see them keep digging holes at the start of seasons, but I'm still going to give them a few weeks to see if they can get on a roll.

I have no idea how they go about getting this on track, but baseball is so much about rhythm and feeding off each other. Get the rotation figured out and the pen suddenly goes back to situational role based play and they improve and everyone goes back into normal play mode instead of feeling like you have to press to make things happen.

There's just too much talent on the pitching side at least to expect this to continue at the current rate of failure all year. Maybe Kuma will never be what he once was and Walker might not be what people hope he can be, but all 3 struggling pitchers can surely do better than they are now and at some point Elias should come up and give them a different look. It just can't stay this bad all year can it?