• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hjalmarsson Extended, 5 yrs $20.5 mil. Morrow to Hawks?

Baseballnut77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think morrow would be a fine add to this teamas a 2nd/3rd liner. Seems to play a complete game

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think morrow would be a fine add to this teamas a 2nd/3rd liner. Seems to play a complete game

Agreed. The big question is whether or not at his age he still has enough left in the tank to play 80 games + playoffs. Although, I think I'd prefer giving youth a chance this year.

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Morrow is asking $1 million for one year. That's peanuts...and he's only 34.

But, that being said I'm also hoping they give the kids a chance. Never a bad thing to get younger, if you can.

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's something refreshing:

Niklas Hjamarlsson on signing a 5 year $20.5 million extension: "Maybe I could have gotten more somewhere else. I might have been able to get more had I waited, but I make a lot of money so I don't really have to think about that too much."

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's something refreshing:

Niklas Hjamarlsson on signing a 5 year $20.5 million extension: "Maybe I could have gotten more somewhere else. I might have been able to get more had I waited, but I make a lot of money so I don't really have to think about that too much."

Nice.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys know of Adam Clendening? Hear a lot about him & I've been impressed by what I've seen from him. Seems to be the Hawks' best prospective dman. Wondering how good of a chance he has of making the team if they got Keith, Seabrook, Oduya, Hjamerssom, Michal Rozsival, Nick Leddy, & Sheldon Brookbank all signed up. Doesn't seem to be a spot open for the blue line for another 2 seasons. I guess that gives him time to develop. He's just 20 right now so no rush, but he does look ready for the NHL game already.

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice problem to have. Too much talent at the AHL level competing for spaces on the big team.

Maybe they bump a veteran off the team, which usually increases cap space because most of the AHL guys are still on entry level contracts. Or if there is no place or future for them, the Hawks trade them for more prospects and/or draft picks. Great position to be in.

Hawks seem to be in wonderful shape going into the 2014-2015 season. The unrestricted free agents will be Handzus, Bollig, Brookbank and Khabibulin. That's it.

Of course some of the young guys will be restricted free agents, such as Morin, Hayes, Shaw, Raanta, Pirri, Olsen, Smith and Beach.

And of course, after the 2014 season ends, it's time for Kane and Toews to get extensions. That should be fun and interesting.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys know of Adam Clendening? Hear a lot about him & I've been impressed by what I've seen from him. Seems to be the Hawks' best prospective dman. Wondering how good of a chance he has of making the team if they got Keith, Seabrook, Oduya, Hjamerssom, Michal Rozsival, Nick Leddy, & Sheldon Brookbank all signed up. Doesn't seem to be a spot open for the blue line for another 2 seasons. I guess that gives him time to develop. He's just 20 right now so no rush, but he does look ready for the NHL game already.

See the updated prospects list that I posted. He could see some time this year as an in-season injury call-up, but he's probably a year or two away from full time NHL duty - assuming he continues to develop, of course.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice problem to have. Too much talent at the AHL level competing for spaces on the big team.

Maybe they bump a veteran off the team, which usually increases cap space because most of the AHL guys are still on entry level contracts. Or if there is no place or future for them, the Hawks trade them for more prospects and/or draft picks. Great position to be in.

Hawks seem to be in wonderful shape going into the 2014-2015 season. The unrestricted free agents will be Handzus, Bollig, Brookbank and Khabibulin. That's it.

Of course some of the young guys will be restricted free agents, such as Morin, Hayes, Shaw, Raanta, Pirri, Olsen, Smith and Beach.

And of course, after the 2014 season ends, it's time for Kane and Toews to get extensions. That should be fun and interesting.

True, it's a good luxury, but sucks to be the talented prospect that never gets to play. IDK, I guess I always have sympathy for the young guys, they're the ones who always get shafted in the NHL, especially if you're a Penguin prospect, then you never get to play.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See the updated prospects list that I posted. He could see some time this year as an in-season injury call-up, but he's probably a year or two away from full time NHL duty - assuming he continues to develop, of course.

I'll check it out, he's probably my favorite Blackhawk prospect next to Teuvo Teravainen. Although he's unlikely of making the Hawks roster, I really am interested in seeing what Adam Clendening could do in the NHL.

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, it's a good luxury, but sucks to be the talented prospect that never gets to play. IDK, I guess I always have sympathy for the young guys, they're the ones who always get shafted in the NHL, especially if you're a Penguin prospect, then you never get to play.

Tough, since the Blackhawks top 6 defensemen are all signed through 2015. Brookbank, the number 7 guy, is an unrestricted free agent after the 2014 season.

But, as we all know, injuries happen...and trades happen. AHL'ers have to be ready and waiting to grab that chance when it comes.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tough, since the Blackhawks top 6 defensemen are all signed through 2015. Brookbank, the number 7 guy, is an unrestricted free agent after the 2014 season.

But, as we all know, injuries happen...and trades happen. AHL'ers have to be ready and waiting to grab that chance when it comes.

Yeah, that's what i was thinking, quite a few guys signed till 2015 to give Clendening an opening. Really will take injuries for him to make the roster, and no one wants to see injuries, unless you're Adam Clendening of course :whistle:

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's a "what if". What if Adam Clendening looks so fantastic in training camp the Hawks decide to trade Brookbank? Or Nick Leddy? Or even Michael Rozsival?

Stuff like that happens all the time in the NHL. Just because the Hawks have returning players, it doesn't mean the roster is set in stone...although it would be a longshot for anyone to crack the Hawks roster barring an injury.

If Clendening blows away the Hawks brass and coaches, that leaves open the possibility that they could create a spot for him by trading someone else and stockpiling more draft picks. You never know what could happen.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's a "what if". What if Adam Clendening looks so fantastic in training camp the Hawks decide to trade Brookbank? Or Nick Leddy? Or even Michael Rozsival?

Stuff like that happens all the time in the NHL. Just because the Hawks have returning players, it doesn't mean the roster is set in stone...although it would be a longshot for anyone to crack the Hawks roster barring an injury.

If Clendening blows away the Hawks brass and coaches, that leaves open the possibility that they could create a spot for him by trading someone else and stockpiling more draft picks. You never know what could happen.

I think Clendening is better than Brookbank & Leddy, so if he gets a chance to shine both Brookbank & Leddy's jobs should be on the line. Roszival is probably better than Clendening at this point in their careers, but I can't see him being irreplaceable on the roster. I think you're right, in spite of the contract situations, Clendening has a shot of breaking thru.

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Clendening is better than Brookbank & Leddy, so if he gets a chance to shine both Brookbank & Leddy's jobs should be on the line. Roszival is probably better than Clendening at this point in their careers, but I can't see him being irreplaceable on the roster. I think you're right, in spite of the contract situations, Clendening has a shot of breaking thru.

You just never know!

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not in love with Nick Leddy. As a number 5 dman he is good. I certainly didn't like him as a number 4 though.

He's undersized, not physical enough, has some defensive lapses. Q benched him most of Game 6 vs the Bruins, but he came back late in the third period and I thought he was really effective. Probably one of the better players at that point, mainly because of his fresh legs.

The upside is that he has better than average speed, can carry the puck out of the zone, can be effective bringing the puck into the offensive zone, has a better than average shot, can play on the power play and let's not forget he's only 22.

Would hate to give up on him at that age with his upside...but I wouldn't be surprised by him getting traded at some point.

Brookbank will be gone...either early this year, at the trading deadline and certainly not re-signed after this season.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not in love with Nick Leddy. As a number 5 dman he is good. I certainly didn't like him as a number 4 though.

He's undersized, not physical enough, has some defensive lapses. Q benched him most of Game 6 vs the Bruins, but he came back late in the third period and I thought he was really effective. Probably one of the better players at that point, mainly because of his fresh legs.

The upside is that he has better than average speed, can carry the puck out of the zone, can be effective bringing the puck into the offensive zone, has a better than average shot, can play on the power play and let's not forget he's only 22.

Would hate to give up on him at that age with his upside...but I wouldn't be surprised by him getting traded at some point.

Brookbank will be gone...either early this year, at the trading deadline and certainly not re-signed after this season.

I think Leddy is alright, but I'm sort of surprised he got the call over Clendening. Brookbank is a tough guy and they always want a tough guy on board so I don't think he has to work too hard to keep his just, just play goon hockey & he'll be alright. Leddy on the other hand could be easily replaced by Clendening, so if I were him I would really up my game some.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A little surprised at the Crawford contract. I mean, as a fan, the guy got no love from the announcers as he faced Howard, Quick, and Rask - yet he bested them all. Just not a big fan of huge goalie contracts I guess.

Like the Hammer signing. Like his modest comments too. Refreshing.

As for the question on Clendoning, you may need to wait on Hockey Doug. He's knowledgeable when it comes to the prospects.

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leddy has a lot of upside, don't get me wrong. But I think he may hit his ceiling this year. His size is a big problem as a defenseman.

IF the Hawks were looking to trade someone...and I have no knowledge that they are...I'm thinking that Leddy might fetch them some player they are looking for. Certainly, none of the "core" players will be moved, and I don't think Leddy fits into that core category. He's not someone I am building my team around and he's certainly not untouchable.

If Adam Clendening plays lights out in camp and in the preseason, and if the Hawks feel he is able to make the move up, then maybe someone gets traded. I'm not foreseeing that, but it's possible.