• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Head Coach Search.

Macho Grande

Would Sacrifice You In An Emergency
The Magumba Bar in Drambuie, off the Barbary Coast
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,889.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems the BGN report of Gase being in for a 2nd interview on Saturday to be bogus .. possibly floated by his agent ... at least there is a bunch of denials coming out.

Which is exactly what I thought when all this 2nd interview, fighting over him with the Phins talk popped up last night. Smart move by his agent really. No doubt hoping to make Lurie panic into signing him. But even if that doesn't happen, he still makes his client look more desirable by painting a picture of two teams fighting over him. It was a win-win situation really.

Sorry, but I don't believe for a second that Lurie offered a contract to some unproven 37 year old without talking to other candidates who have been around much longer.

Last edited:

Northern Eagle

Hangin' With The Homeboys
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Patricia is his own man. Previous Patriots' guys won't have any bearing on his results.

11 of the teams in the playoffs are in the top 12 in points against. Only McCarthy, Reid, Arians, Kubiak and O'Brien come from the offensive side of the ball. And of those guys 3 have long time successful defensive coordinators running their defenses - Wade Phillips, Romeo Crennel, Dom Capers. Do you see any longtime successful DCs available?

Well there's McDermott and Spagnulo, do you think they fit the bill? I'm not really excited about either. Add another defensive guy potentially to the list, Guenther from the Bengals. If you like Patricia this should intrigue you as well:

Reports: Eagles to interview Bucs OC Koetter, Bengals DC Guenther

Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE to see them hire a defensive guy, I just don't think it's going to happen and I'm not all that thrilled with what's out there this year.

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So supposed they have been looking for months already, talking to agents I presume...they fire Chip a week early to get a jump on the competition, get the Rooney rule out of the way day one...and then they need to interview everyone???

Iron Eagle

Nostril flare expert.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So supposed they have been looking for months already, talking to agents I presume...they fire Chip a week early to get a jump on the competition, get the Rooney rule out of the way day one...and then they need to interview everyone???

It's being thorough.

L.Freamon

Formerly FWFW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's look at the desirability of these NFL jobs...

Dolphins. $2.4M in salary cap space. Committed to Tannehill at QB.
Eagles. $24M in salary cap space. No starting QB signed.
Browns. $34M in salary cap space. No starting QB signed.
Titans. $43M in salary cap space. Good young QB.
Bucs. $52M in salary cap space. Good young QB.
Giants. $46M in salary cap space. HOF QB still in his prime.
$49ers. $51M in salary cap space. which includes a very cuttable Kapernick at $11M.

Really, the Eagles job is probably the 2nd least desirable job out there. Three of the teams are arguably set at QB and 4 of the teams are in excellent position to reshape their roster. Explain to me why an Adam Gase would choose the Eagles over the Bucs, Giants or Titans? Definitely over the Dolphins, but the 49er and Browns jobs may even be better at this point.
I'd rank 'em
1. Giants
2. Eagles

maybe the dolphins as the most desireable jobs: stable ownership, solid fan bases. Giants FO is better than ours.

The rest of the teams on the list are fairly historically or recently unstable.

I miss Dawkins

Philadelphia Ducks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just heared it suggested that they will promote Kuetter, their OC. The argument is that their OC got so many interview requests for HC, and they did not want to lose him, which would threaten the development of Winston -> fire Lovie, promote the OC.

Does the Rooney rule still apply if you hire within???

I miss Dawkins

Philadelphia Ducks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Typically I tend to stay away from coordinators who work on the same side of the ball as the HC, but I am really starting to like Matt Patricia, despite him being with the Pats. Seems like a smart (former engineer) and personable guy. Could hire him and likely keep Shurmur to keep the offense continuity, I dont think Patricia would want to be to involved from a personnel point of view.

How Matt Patricia engineers Patriots defense

Great article. Really liking this guy more and more.

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd rank 'em
1. Giants
2. Eagles

maybe the dolphins as the most desireable jobs: stable ownership, solid fan bases. Giants FO is better than ours.

The rest of the teams on the list are fairly historically or recently unstable.

Arguably the Titans and the Bucs have the QB position solved for the next 10-15 years. That can be a huge draw for a coach.

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The issue with Miami is the $2.4M in cap space and the commitment they made to Tannehill. Neither one is particularly attractive.

northeastphillyguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eagles have interviewed Pederson. With the Reid connection he is probably the favorite with Lurie. Not my favorite though. Does not look like they are interested in Hue Jackson. Too bad!

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eagles will try to keep four of Chip Kelly's assistant coaches

Seems laughable that the Eagles seem to want to keep half of Kelly's staff, as well as his QB, and love his draft picks of Rowe and Hicks this year, and that virtually every player he released has been cut or benched by the team that got him (Mathis, Foles, Williams, Cole, Herremans, Fletcher), and he went 26-21, yet people are calling it a disaster.

Meanwhile SF is interviewing him, and the Eagles are sorting through a pile of has beens and wannabes and hoping they can outbid the Giants and Dolphins for their first choice.

Yeah I am bitter.

Iron Eagle

Nostril flare expert.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All he had to do was take his sorry ass to the Christmas party.

I liked Kelly for the most part but between his attitude and his offensive line, he hung hmself.

northeastphillyguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Seems laughable that the Eagles seem to want to keep half of Kelly's staff, as well as his QB, and love his draft picks of Rowe and Hicks this year, and that virtually every player he released has been cut or benched by the team that got him (Mathis, Foles, Williams, Cole, Herremans, Fletcher), and he went 26-21, yet people are calling it a disaster.

Meanwhile SF is interviewing him, and the Eagles are sorting through a pile of has beens and wannabes and hoping they can outbid the Giants and Dolphins for their first choice.

Yeah I am bitter.
I am OK with wannabes. Keeping some of Kellys staff is OK too. His staff was not the problem.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some of his staff worth useless, ala Day, the QB coach; the WR coach; DAVIS of course; and several others. He got lucky getting Fipp, Undlin, and inherited Duce. I liked chip for the first 2 years, but knew we were in trouble when he got nothing for Shady, and cut Mathis.

djm

KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ask Mathis what happens to you when you do not show up for a voluntary event. Laurie probably took a page out of Chip's book. :D

northeastphillyguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some of his staff worth useless, ala Day, the QB coach; the WR coach; DAVIS of course; and several others. He got lucky getting Fipp, Undlin, and inherited Duce. I liked chip for the first 2 years, but knew we were in trouble when he got nothing for Shady, and cut Mathis.
Agree on Davis. There needs to be a change.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arguably the Titans and the Bucs have the QB position solved for the next 10-15 years. That can be a huge draw for a coach.

It is way too early to make that assumption. Many QB's come in looking in good as rookies and after there is some film showing their tendencies they do not do so well. I will admit the odds are in their favor but they could still flop of become just decent QB's.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah I am bitter.

Why? Because Chip Kelly was so bad he could not make use of the talent he had? That his players hated him and he would not work with the front office. Kelly was toxic and he needed a wake up call. Coughlin was the same way (in regards to be hated by players) he changed how he coached and players have come to love him. His style almost cost him his job with the Giants.

Some people need a kick in their ass you realized the world does not revolve around them. Players find out too.....take Chris Carter and Brett Favre....they were on their way out of the NFL until that swift kick woke them up.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well there's McDermott and Spagnulo, do you think they fit the bill? I'm not really excited about either. Add another defensive guy potentially to the list, Guenther from the Bengals. If you like Patricia this should intrigue you as well:

Reports: Eagles to interview Bucs OC Koetter, Bengals DC Guenther

Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE to see them hire a defensive guy, I just don't think it's going to happen and I'm not all that thrilled with what's out there this year.
Guenther could be a good hire. Don't know enough about him. But we should hire the best guy in the nation, not the best guy from the Philly area.