• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Harvey Perlman knows the state of Husker Football

TheReal_NU

This space intentionally left blank
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just getting home from an Honors Reception for UNL. My son is a high school senior this year with good grades and great testing skills, so he's in demand.

Harvey Perlman spoke for about 10 minutes about why you would want to come to Nebraska, and stressed that UNL had quality academics, and the B1G would not have considered UNL for admission without it. Then he dropped this...

"The football team, well......
the football team's reputation, didn't hurt."

God I wish I would have been recording that!

corn train

Have some of it
Hoopla Cash
$ 76,445.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is good news!

He is right to think that the football teams reputation for laying down wasn't hurt, it was solidified

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually don't understand what that is supposed to mean the way he said that

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Almost sounds to me like he's saying "the football program is well-known, so that isn't going to hurt in a kid's decision to come to Nebraska"

TheReal_NU

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was an interesting reaction in the crowd (roughly 400 people).
There was laughter, but there was also several people who had the same reaction as I did. I looked over at my son and said "Holy Shit".
I just wish I would have had the balls to stand up and applaud.

corn train

Have some of it
Hoopla Cash
$ 76,445.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually don't understand what that is supposed to mean the way he said that

He prolly meant that back then we still had a good reputation pertaining to football, helped us get into the Big

TheReal_NU

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Almost sounds to me like he's saying "the football program is well-known, so that isn't going to hurt in a kid's decision to come to Nebraska"

Like I said, I wish I was recording it.

Very clear in person that he said that the NU football team's "reputation" didn't hurt our chances of getting into the B1G. It was telling that he felt compelled to put the reputation part in there, and he actually started the statement over to add that part.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So our reputation of being awesome helped us get into the Big 10?

I'm still confused

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you guys are really reading into that the wrong way.....

corn train

Have some of it
Hoopla Cash
$ 76,445.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It sounds to me like a slight of hand jab that he's aware of the image of the football program and the damage that's being done to it, and that it used to hold some weight

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you guys are reading it as "we are lucky that our new reputation didn't hurt us."

But in reality, I'm pretty well sure that he was saying "we are lucky that our Football Program has the outstanding reputation that it does over a long period of time, because that helps bring kids to school here."

I use that saying all the time....."it doesn't hurt"......it's a way of saying "it helps"

corn train

Have some of it
Hoopla Cash
$ 76,445.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if he feels that the Big would still consider us if we were petitioning them for consideration with the current reputation of the football program, we've slipped a bit from 3-4 years ago

corn train

Have some of it
Hoopla Cash
$ 76,445.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you guys are reading it as "we are lucky that our new reputation didn't hurt us."

But in reality, I'm pretty well sure that he was saying "we are lucky that our Football Program has the outstanding reputation that it does over a long period of time, because that helps bring kids to school here."

I use that saying all the time....."it doesn't hurt"......it's a way of saying "it helps"

I read it as the academics and football is what got us into the Big, and he's right. I'm trying to misinterpret it to reflect my current feelings about the state of the program and it's reputation that's been all but trashed by the current and former coaches

TheReal_NU

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I hear ya, and I may well be letting yesterday get the better of me, but my take was:
The football team's reputation of excellence didn't hurt our chances.

It was the fact that he started the comment without the "reputation" part of it, and then felt compelled to add it. Perlman is a very smart man, and I would imaging that very little comes out of his mouth that he doesn't think about well ahead of time. It was almost as if he started a statement, and then in his head decided to append it. I will add that he was looking at the audience the entire time, and did not appear to be looking at notes. He probably has a speech memorized, as he left immediately after for another appearance in Lincoln tonight with what's more than likely a similar crowd.

On the other hand, I may change my mind after a couple more rum and cokes.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ahhh, I see what you're saying....

I was just confused

TheReal_NU

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Meant to add one more point.
At that moment, he was not talking about helping enrollment. He was clearly talking about admittance into the B1G.

Also, I'll figure out how to edit my posts eventually. Remember I came from CBS, and that was not an option there.
:lol:

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't see what the SportsHoopla is with the statement.

The way I read it, he's saying the reputation of the football team helped get Nebraska into the Big 10.

Tongue in cheek true statement.

I don't think it was a dig at Bo.

TheReal_NU

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see what the SportsHoopla is with the statement.

The way I read it, he's saying the reputation of the football team helped get Nebraska into the Big 10.

Tongue in cheek true statement.

I don't think it was a dig at Bo.

Again, this weekend may be altering my judgement. If the exact same statement was made, in the exact same way, and we had beat UCLA by 21, I would have taken it differently.

Last edited by a moderator: