• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hartnell traded for Umberger and a 4th

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, I know some of the moves the FO have made don't appear to be working right now but if we hang in there, they may reap big dividends developing into a well-oiled machine similar to what occurred with the Kings. Cases in point, Umberger and B. Schenn.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just wanted to revisit this trade now that year one is coming to a close.

From the Flyers standpoint, Umberger has been terrible and is a shadow of his former self, as he was last year. He's clearly done. But, the Flyers are only on the hook for one more season.

For Columbus, Hartnell has played very well and is 3rd on the team in scoring (21-27-48). But, he's signed for 3 more years. If he pulls an Umberger and his plays drops off markedly next season, we can still make an argument that the Flyers won the trade. How about if he plays well for one more year, then 2 stinkers? 3 good one bad? Where is the tipping point on who won the trade?

One can argue that regardless of stats the Flyers won because it will help them in the long term in terms of cap management. One can also argue that if the Flyers had never made the trade that they could be still in the mix for a playoff spot...

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

From the Flyers standpoint, Umberger has been terrible and is a shadow of his former self, as he was last year. He's clearly done. But, the Flyers are only on the hook for one more season.

For Columbus, Hartnell has played very well and is 3rd on the team in scoring (21-27-48). But, he's signed for 3 more years. If he pulls an Umberger and his plays drops off markedly next season, we can still make an argument that the Flyers won the trade. How about if he plays well for one more year, then 2 stinkers? 3 good one bad? Where is the tipping point on who won the trade?

Pretty sure it's two, not one

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

One can argue that regardless of stats the Flyers won because it will help them in the long term in terms of cap management. One can also argue that if the Flyers had never made the trade that they could be still in the mix for a playoff spot...
I was a proponent of this trade early on but as the season progressed Umberger was just a waste of life on this team. Maybe he does something next year because nobody is going to take him off our hands.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
given the current state of the team, I think the 2 years on the contract is worth the decline in play. even with Hartnell instead of Umberger I don't think this team competes for a Stanley Cup this year or next year.

It's a terrible hockey trade, but I think it just shows Hextall made an honest assessment of the state of the organization.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
given the current state of the team, I think the 2 years on the contract is worth the decline in play. even with Hartnell instead of Umberger I don't think this team competes for a Stanley Cup this year or next year.

It's a terrible hockey trade, but I think it just shows Hextall made an honest assessment of the state of the organization.

I agree - he probably knew it would be a bad trade too, but Scott Hartnell probably wouldn't have made them much better - his foot speed still isn't where you'd want it to be and he takes a lot of penalties and that would have made their PK even worse and probably would have negated his offense

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It sure would've been nice to have Hartnell's 21 goals and 48 points.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hextall is slowly cleaning up the mess this team has become and we will see results later down the road.

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Hartnell is bad, he is terrible. Like actively terrible, worse than Umberger. When Hartnell is 35 he'll have two more years on his deal. Not a guarantee he declines, but we shouldn't take that risk when we are going into a rebuild

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Hartnell is bad, he is terrible. Like actively terrible, worse than Umberger. When Hartnell is 35 he'll have two more years on his deal. Not a guarantee he declines, but we shouldn't take that risk when we are going into a rebuild

Yep and in the playoffs last season, he totally flatlined and was more of a detriment to his team than a positive

He was not a fit for this team, which needs more speed - and people need to remember that they got a 3rd round pick in this deal, which could turn out to be a good player

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep and in the playoffs last season, he totally flatlined and was more of a detriment to his team than a positive

He was not a fit for this team, which needs more speed - and people need to remember that they got a 3rd round pick in this deal, which could turn out to be a good player
You sure you meant Hartnell was the one that flatlined. He had 3 assists and a plus/minus 0 and lead the team with 19 shots in 7 games. Maybe you meant Coots with 0 goals or assists and a minus 3.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You sure you meant Hartnell was the one that flatlined. He had 3 assists and a plus/minus 0 and lead the team with 19 shots in 7 games. Maybe you meant Coots with 0 goals or assists and a minus 3.

Couts was actually doing a decent job in that series, he was shutting down the main guys for a while there

Scott Hartnell should have had a way better impact

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Umberger does have 2 more years and it was a 4th round pick. Imaging if we had all of Hartsys PMs with the PK we had this year.

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was a bad trade. Period. We know that.
It was made because the head coach didn't like Hartnell and didn't respect the type of player he was. Berube has always said (going back to his playing days) he could not stand pests. He never liked them because the stirred up trouble and the players like Berube had to clean up the mess. He and Hextall pointed at Hartnell's conditioning, but really he was no worse than ANY member of the roster.
I really hope that Berube is called to task for his role in this deal. Umberger playing hurt was actively worse than the vanishing cold Hartnell. Umberger take up room on the PK (as was previously noted) and was actively bad at it because he could not push off. He sucked down the play of Cooter and Read and any other line that he was put on. I like Umberger. When he is healthy and on his skates he plays the game the way it is supposed to be played. He is up on his skates, he takes the body in a clean way. He has some offense upside and can play all three forward positions (when healthy).

Bottom line...it was a bad move for bad reasons. Really, all we can do is move on.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I liked Harts intangibles but he slowed down. Still good enough for 20 goals but over the long run he'd be a detriment to the team longer than Umberger will be.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Blue Jackets rally over Ducks behind Scott Hartnell hat trick"

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good. Here's to Hartnell scoring 10 a game down the stretch allowing Columbus to soar the standings