• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Grantland on the AL Central

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These guys know more than we do:

2014 AL Central Preview «

Apparently the Sox have some 'sleeper buzz', and Hahn is getting lots of cred, but I still think they are looking to 2015 and Dunn being gone to really make a push.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL, you had me laughing there.

The only people that think you know more about this sport than a professional paid to know it are you and your mom. At least I know I'm just a fan bullshitting on the internet, you need to realize you are the same.

Can you lighten up already? Can you disagree with people without getting all aggro?

This board might get kind of fun if the negativity towards other posters goes down some.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL, you had me laughing there.

The only people that think you know more about this sport than a professional paid to know it are you and your mom. At least I know I'm just a fan bullshitting on the internet, you need to realize you are the same.

Can you lighten up already? Can you disagree with people without getting all aggro?

This board might get kind of fun if the negativity towards other posters goes down some.

as usual your finger is completely off the pulse. i think people know that indeed you are just a bullshitting fan. i aspire to something more.
for one thing, why would you assume that the grantland writer assigned to the sox knows more than an intelligent fan? because they have facts at hand? you think we don't have facts available? or is it you just believe because they get paid to write they must know more? do you think they have some kind of 'baseball degree'?
another thing, why do you assume i'm negative towards other posters? because i disagree with so much of what you say? i'd suggest it's really more that you don't like being disagreed with and so you keep making a big deal of it. this actually makes YOU the cause of any negativity you perceive here. i've suggested before that you should just post your own thoughts here and don't worry about my posts but you can't seem to manage that! what's so hard about it?

btw .... read these posts again and tell me what was so aggro about my post. all i did was make your comment soley about yourself rather than everyone else.

Last edited by a moderator:

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as usual your finger is completely off the pulse. i think people know that indeed you are just a bullshitting fan. i aspire to something more.
for one thing, why would you assume that the grantland writer assigned to the sox knows more than an intelligent fan? because they have facts at hand? you think we don't have facts available? or is it you just believe because they get paid to write they must know more? do you think they have some kind of 'baseball degree'?
another thing, why do you assume i'm negative towards other posters? because i disagree with so much of what you say? i'd suggest it's really more that you don't like being disagreed with and so you keep making a big deal of it. this actually makes YOU the cause of any negativity you perceive here. i've suggested before that you should just post your own thoughts here and don't worry about my posts but you can't seem to manage that! what's so hard about it?

It's the 'aspire to something more' thing that feels off...sounds kind of pretentious. We're baseball fans, Sox fans, nothing more. We know what we see on TV, and what we read, in our spare time. What do you have in mind with 'something more'? You think you know more than professionals, whose job it is to study how the game works, how the business of the game works? Maybe that attitude is why you get so angry at people who don't agree with you, or so angry at the Sox organization, you honestly believe you know more than the GMs and managers who actually run the game, let alone other fans. And you're just a fan, like the rest of us. I don't know what you do for a living, but I'm sure you do it better than Williams or Hahn or Ventura or Jonah Keri could.

You're negative to other posters, to the Sox organization, you're just a negative guy, at least that's how you come across here. I'm saying, why so serious? There aren't many White Sox fans in this world, and very few here, why is it such an angry endeavor? It's a free country but man, I don't see why you can't have a sense of humor about this stuff, it's a game.

As far as just posting my stuff and not worrying about yours, you started this latest back-and-forth by 'fixing' my post. If you really want us to ignore each other you could have done so easily. Instead I LOL'd, because this is all supposed to be fun.

So I'm reaching out here, I won't needle you or bait you or anything. I may disagree still, and I'll perhaps tease you for grumpiness, try to have a sense of humor about it.

:suds:

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's the 'aspire to something more' thing that feels off...sounds kind of pretentious. We're baseball fans, Sox fans, nothing more. We know what we see on TV, and what we read, in our spare time. What do you have in mind with 'something more'? You think you know more than professionals, whose job it is to study how the game works, how the business of the game works? Maybe that attitude is why you get so angry at people who don't agree with you, or so angry at the Sox organization, you honestly believe you know more than the GMs and managers who actually run the game, let alone other fans. And you're just a fan, like the rest of us. I don't know what you do for a living, but I'm sure you do it better than Williams or Hahn or Ventura or Jonah Keri could.

You're negative to other posters, to the Sox organization, you're just a negative guy, at least that's how you come across here. I'm saying, why so serious? There aren't many White Sox fans in this world, and very few here, why is it such an angry endeavor? It's a free country but man, I don't see why you can't have a sense of humor about this stuff, it's a game.

As far as just posting my stuff and not worrying about yours, you started this latest back-and-forth by 'fixing' my post. If you really want us to ignore each other you could have done so easily. Instead I LOL'd, because this is all supposed to be fun.

So I'm reaching out here, I won't needle you or bait you or anything. I may disagree still, and I'll perhaps tease you for grumpiness, try to have a sense of humor about it.

yes, msg, i DO know more than many 'professionals' think they know about the game. it isn't rocket science, but it does require experience. i grew up with the game. i played semi-pro ball. i caught, pitched and played outfield in my youth and i've watched it all my long life. i know how the game works. the only things i don't know is the personalities of the players, other than what you read or gather from their own comments ... which is something most 'professionals' don't know either. that you don't think you do just fortifies what i think of your opinions about the game.
and why is it you think the gms and managers know more? some gm's are just former players themselves with their own opinions .... and i believe all managers are former players. is this what leads you to believe they're experts on running a team? i can name you tens of former players ... great ones in fact who couldn't manage their way out of a paper bag! check out ted williams' record. even in other sports ... like our own michael jordan! that you depend on the fact everyone who gets a paycheck from baseball knows more about the game than you do tells me only that you don't know much. you go by rumor, 'professional' opinions and fans opinions that you latch onto here for your opinions. you're a second hand fan :D

further, i am NOT negative to other posters. i'm negative to relative stupidity. also to pseudo scientific evaluations from such as you. or are you a PRO? do you have a degree in psychology? lol ... you don't have to answer. the question was rhetorical. :)

hmmm ... so i started this off huh? by nicely changing your 'all of us' to 'you'? you see, msg, you actually dragged me and everyone else here into it by stating what WE don't know. and now you're upset because i stood up and pointed it out? well ... too bad nancy. didn't mean to ruffle your skirt with that one.

i can't stop you from continually teasing (which we all know is code for attacking) me when i correct your thinking. i can't stop you from calling me things like grumpy if it somehow makes you feel superior. just remember (which i know you can't), you can't stop me from what i do either. the only thing that you can do here is to exacerbate this little tiff you can't control. i do realize that as long as i am honest and speak what i know i'll collect detractors such as yourself. it doesn't bother me. if you just see me as negative then i'd direct you to a quote from bertrand russell .... “The secret of happiness is to face the fact that the world is horrible, horrible, horrible.” :D

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes, msg, i DO know more than many 'professionals' think they know about the game. it isn't rocket science, but it does require experience. i grew up with the game. i played semi-pro ball. i caught, pitched and played outfield in my youth and i've watched it all my long life. i know how the game works. the only things i don't know is the personalities of the players, other than what you read or gather from their own comments ... which is something most 'professionals' don't know either. that you don't think you do just fortifies what i think of your opinions about the game.
and why is it you think the gms and managers know more? some gm's are just former players themselves with their own opinions .... and i believe all managers are former players. is this what leads you to believe they're experts on running a team? i can name you tens of former players ... great ones in fact who couldn't manage their way out of a paper bag! check out ted williams' record. even in other sports ... like our own michael jordan! that you depend on the fact everyone who gets a paycheck from baseball knows more about the game than you do tells me only that you don't know much. you go by rumor, 'professional' opinions and fans opinions that you latch onto here for your opinions. you're a second hand fan :D

further, i am NOT negative to other posters. i'm negative to relative stupidity. also to pseudo scientific evaluations from such as you. or are you a PRO? do you have a degree in psychology? lol ... you don't have to answer. the question was rhetorical. :)

hmmm ... so i started this off huh? by nicely changing your 'all of us' to 'you'? you see, msg, you actually dragged me and everyone else here into it by stating what WE don't know. and now you're upset because i stood up and pointed it out? well ... too bad nancy. didn't mean to ruffle your skirt with that one.

i can't stop you from continually teasing (which we all know is code for attacking) me when i correct your thinking. i can't stop you from calling me things like grumpy if it somehow makes you feel superior. just remember (which i know you can't), you can't stop me from what i do either. the only thing that you can do here is to exacerbate this little tiff you can't control. i do realize that as long as i am honest and speak what i know i'll collect detractors such as yourself. it doesn't bother me. if you just see me as negative then i'd direct you to a quote from bertrand russell .... “The secret of happiness is to face the fact that the world is horrible, horrible, horrible.” :D

A lot of arrogance and delusion here...

You watched the game, played semi-pro...if that's your claim to expertise, well, the pros have done all that times 100 and played pro ball as well. They don't just watch the game, it's their job...you say I go on rumor and opinions and what I see on TV...how are you different? Are you at every game, are you a scout, do you spend all of your days working on baseball? Of course not. Look, the difference between you and me is not how much we know about baseball, maybe you know more than me, whatever...it's that I realize I'm a fan of the game and you think you're a pro. You're not. The arrogance is laughable, and very teaseable. Hell, half the comedies from Hollywood are about taking arrogance down a peg. You need to learn some humility, if you were really so awesome at this (whatever this is...it's just opining on a game, on a board maybe 10 people read) you wouldn't be so quick to anger. People that know their stuff tend to have quiet confidence about it. Or maybe you would still be angry anyway...that Bertrand Russell quote shows a pretty dark world view.

You clearly 'started' this latest back and forth...you tell me to ignore you then can't resist teasing me. All you had to do was...nothing...and this conversation isn't happening. All you had to do was have some sense of humor or humility. But you couldn't take your own advice to ignore each other. But here's another difference: I'm not at all upset about it. I LOL'd. I can give and take it. My metaphor for this place is a sports bar with guys yakking and going back and forth and good-naturedly teasing their friends (like friends do...don't yours?) or the other team's fans...you're the guy telling everyone how smart he is from his barstool, and never cracking a smile. You're ripe for teasing. You 'fixed' my quote into a dig at me, and I laughed, because my ego isn't tied up in this stuff. You on the other hand take it WAY too seriously for a guy who is JUST A FAN sitting somewhere at home watching games, same as the rest of us.

So again, lighten up, try to have some fun here...of course you don't have to. We can each post this way until we don't enjoy it anymore. I'm just saying, you are pretty knowledgeable, for a FAN, and you're a rare creature, a White Sox fan. We should be able to enjoy bantering about the team, if we have some humility and senses of humor. That may not be your thing, in which case, I guess, oh well...life will go on.

PS I completely agree, a lot of great players can't manage shit. In fact I think the better the player the worse the manager, because they can't teach others how to do stuff that came to them so easily, without thought. LaRussa was barely a good enough player, so he had to really think about the game. His talents were in managing, not playing. The opposite is true for Ventura, Guillen, and so many others. I agree Ventura sucks, and Guillen did too. But they still know a lot more about the game than WE do.

Also, in baseball IMO the manager matters least of the major sports...how else could Guillen win a championship?

Last edited by a moderator:

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you still don't get it and i suppose you never will. you are wrong on almost every count in your post.

1. i don't think i'm a pro ....... i don't HAVE to be pro. pro's don't know any more than i do. in fact to even use the term is ridiculous. as it pertains to baseball, a pro is someone who gets paid to play or coach. notice ... writers do not fall into that category. writers are paid to write. doesn't mean they know anymore about baseball than any of us. so you start with a false premise and then call me arrogant etc. when in fact i never made the claim. YOU did. kinda makes YOU the arrogant one doesn't it?

2. you keep saying i'm angry. why? again, you make a statement without basis and go on to make all your stupid remarks as if i'm angry. i'm not angry msg. what do i have to be angry about?

3. i didn't start this 'discussion'. i explained it very clearly. you make a statement that included everyone else and you were wrong to do it. it's not beyond my purview to straighten you out.

4. i have never said i would ignore you. i suggested you ignore me because my posts seem to rile you up so much. again, you get confused and then go on a rant for nothing!

5. your ego isn't tied up in this? obviously it IS! otherwise you wouldn't keep trying to somehow 'best' me here. you can't even decipher what YOU are doing or what your motives are.

6. your insistence that guillan and ventura know a lot more about the game than I do is deceptive. they know more people IN the game than I do, they know more about playing their positions than I do. they know more about the politics than I do. but they DON'T know more about how to manage in game than i do. Ventura (and guillan) hasn't a clue how to use his bullpen for one thing! he doesn't know how to make out a lineup! those are 2 of the most crucial things for a field manager and neither of those guys were any good at it. ............... so they DON'T know more than I do. they just know more than YOU do!

6 major points you throw back at me and you're dead wrong on all of them. question is ... why do you keep trying?

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
6 major points you throw back at me and you're dead wrong on all of them. question is ... why do you keep trying?

I dunno, I guess I wanted to see how deep your issues went. But I stand corrected, you are an easy-going, not angry, humble, fun, pleasant poster with a great sense of humor and a ton of friendly charm. I can see why so many others post here.

Carry on, last word freak.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dunno, I guess I wanted to see how deep your issues went. But I stand corrected, you are an easy-going, not angry, humble, fun, pleasant poster with a great sense of humor and a ton of friendly charm. I can see why so many others post here.

there ya go! :D

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

but seriously ..... :)

never claimed to be humble or fun, or charming, but i DO have a great sense of humor (you know what seems pointless to me? ... circles!). fun etc. is not the reason i post here and other places. i'm not here as if this were a social gathering. perhaps you are. i'm here to analyse and discuss my team of choice. get insight and information from other posters and to impart my point of view on things. that's all.
why are you here?

and ... i hope you aren't blaming me because this site is so slow.